Please login or register. Welcome to the Studio, guest!

Quick Links:

newBookmarkLockedFalling

newfieldgrafix
.. Well, not been on, more accurately the computer's been on that I've started to notice several hardware issues. The Audio chip is failing, the keyboard is now totally hit-n-miss, and the mouse pretty much does what it wants. The graphics ain't on the list of failures (thank God), but I'm sure the chip's running hot.

To be honest, I'm not sure if my computer has one of those "shutdown" options...

I'll reboot now, well, after O-Zone and Numa Numa (yeah, shut up)...

Last Edit: Aug 28, 2009 21:46:16 GMT by newfieldgrafix

Grace Elaine [Epic Century]

Grace Elaine [Epic Century] Avatar
It's easy to see with out Looking too far that not much is really sacred

February 2008
Pull that bitch apart and hit it with some canned air. Pull the fan off the heat sink and blow all the dust out of there. Same with any other heat sinks that may have fans on them (bridge, gpu). Get the PSU as best as you can.

Josh

Josh Avatar
Where were you when Reach fell?

Legendary Studio Member

May 2008
Yeah, do what Epic said. Dust can REALLY fuck with your computer. Make sure you hit any vents on the actual computer with compressed air and take any fan on the motherboard off and get every last speck of dust off that you can. Will help with a lot of issues, I am thinking. Will also make it quieter and make it run cooler.

Kim

Kim Avatar
Lets get messy

Dedicated Member

June 2009
I'm pretty much the same, my computer is hardley ever turned off. It's always on when I'm asleep, I should look after it more. I might get another fan for it.

Last Edit: Aug 28, 2009 22:10:54 GMT by Kim
Zatch Design 3.0 now released!
Participate in our £10 / $17 Design Competition!

newfieldgrafix
Yeah, actually, that ain't a bad idea. I'll go get a can ASAP. It seems to be a habit, actually; I build 'em, then neglect them. Like, now for example, I've still not shut the computer down. Instead, I've attached the piano to it (a picture worthy of a caption, I'm sure). And it's just turned 0000hrs, and I still haven't been 'round to my buddy's.

The perfect reason to turn her off

Nate

Nate Avatar

Official Member

July 2007
newfieldgrafix Avatar
Aug 28, 2009 21:45:55 GMT @newfieldgrafix said:
.. Well, not been on, more accurately the computer's been on that I've started to notice several hardware issues. The Audio chip is failing, the keyboard is now totally hit-n-miss, and the mouse pretty much does what it wants. The graphics ain't on the list of failures (thank God), but I'm sure the chip's running hot.

To be honest, I'm not sure if my computer has one of those "shutdown" options...

I'll reboot now, well, after O-Zone and Numa Numa (yeah, shut up)...
NO! THATS NOT ITS NAME! lol DRAGOSTEA DIN TEI!

newfieldgrafix
I didn't know that actually, cool. You speak Romanian?

Grace Elaine [Epic Century]

It's easy to see with out Looking too far that not much is really sacred

February 2008
I actually need to pull my system down for maintenance here soon. It's been a few weeks.

DO NOT TAKE THE HEAT SINK OFF OF THE CPU UNLESS YOU HAVE INSTALLED A HEAT SINK BEFORE.

I told a kid to pull the fan off of his heat sink and hit it with canned air. He took the heat sink off, hit the area surrounding it with canned air, got dust on the thermal past, put it all back together with out cleaning it off, and it burnt up his processor, quite literally.

newfieldgrafix
DO NOT TAKE THE HEAT SINK OFF OF THE CPU UNLESS YOU HAVE INSTALLED A HEAT SINK BEFORE.

It's OK, I built her. In fact, shit, come to think of it, thermal paste wouldn't hurt a refresh.

It'll be a while before I shut the computer down again; stupidly, I just clicked "Apply Media Information" in Media Player...
..That button better do something spectacular!

I've decided to do a general maintenance check this coming Monday, get the computer Hoovered out and such.

newBookmarkLockedFalling