Please login or register. Welcome to the Studio, guest!

Quick Links:

newBookmarkLockedFalling

Quacker Jack

Quacker Jack Avatar

ProNation

December 2007
wimg.co.uk/notice.html

What has Wrighty gotten into? A lot of forums and files all around proboards are held on here, and they are going to waste. This ain't good.

My suggestion towards staff... quickly clean out the database and switch everything to a different host.

I'd love to know what was going on, but Wrighty doesn't want to tell us. Shame.

Benjamin

Benjamin Avatar
#YOCO... You only color once.

Elite Mod

November 2006
I'm gonna take a wild guess and say he's losing money on managing and maintaining wImg, so it just isn't feasible for him to keep the project going any longer. Which would be why he's allowing someone to buy out wImg.
Lucifer Avatar
I'm gonna start dishing out internet beatings if people keep it up with this 4chan shit, I swear.

JD

JD Avatar

June 2008
What ever happens with wImg is at the discretion of Michael, or Wrighty or whatever. Just because he wishes to terminate this service and save a buck to boot, doesn't mean he's 'gotten into' anything.

This thread should be locked really.

Quacker Jack

Quacker Jack Avatar

ProNation

December 2007
JD Avatar
What ever happens with wImg is at the discretion of Michael, or Wrighty or whatever. Just because he wishes to terminate this service and save a buck to boot, doesn't mean he's 'gotten into' anything.

This thread should be locked really.

I know it is... I kind of figured this.

I kinda wanted to post this only because of a warning....

Michael

Michael Avatar
*Has a custom title*

October 2007
The site offers enough warning - I don't see a reason for a thread - although I guess I was just waiting for one to appear.

The reasons for the closure aren't going to be made public, but time is one of the main factors. Who knows - it might reappear in a year or two... But at the moment it's not here to stay.

The domain - that might get renewed when it's up for it - is that something to watch?

At no point will we be looking to do malicious harm to any user that is using our service, and hence we feel we have given adequate warning to all of our users.

I'm happy to answer any questions - and I've had a few over the past 24 hours - but reasons for it's closure are not being discussed.

Buyers are welcomed simply 'cause we wouldn't like to see the service removed completely and if someone is willing to take it over then they are more than welcome to.

Josh

Josh Avatar
Where were you when Reach fell?

Legendary Studio Member

May 2008
I've never uploaded a single image to wImg (I exclusively use Kttns now) so this doesn't bug me but I am with Wedge here. Hosting doesn't come cheap for something big. If anything, Wrighty should have turn wImg into a Private host a long time ago to limit bandwidth and memory usage.

If you have a site and need hosting that you can control, get yourself on a site like Ktts, DNZR, INZR, etc. (although those are all closed now. Not even an invitation can get you in now). Or spring for $50 a year for your own hosting and use FTP to manage everything which is usually a lot better than web management.

EDIT: My post was posted while Wrighty was posting his, thus it seems out of place. :P

Last Edit: Sept 7, 2009 15:46:47 GMT by Josh

newfieldgrafix
It's a real shame. I'm sure many feel 'attached' to wImg, as it's a friendly service and we kinda' know Wrighty. There will be a void in cyberspace when it goes.

@ Wrighty:
You will keep us posted as to any developments won't you?

Michael

Michael Avatar
*Has a custom title*

October 2007
That page is getting updated as and when I see fit to add things in to address questions or comments that we receive. :)

Andrew McGivery

Andrew McGivery Avatar
Formerly Fredy

Legendary Studio Member

Male

September 2005
Any more questions, pm wrighty. locked.
k

Chris

Chris Avatar

Head Coder

June 2005
This thread has been unlocked since it can provide valid discussion. If it becomes a mess of any kind, I will lock it however.

Michael

Michael Avatar
*Has a custom title*

October 2007
Cheers Chris! :)

Quacker Jack

Quacker Jack Avatar

ProNation

December 2007
Not that I plan on buying it Fredy, but how much would it be to buy it?

Also, does this mean you are done with proboards or vforums as well, or it is just that off your shoulders?

Last Edit: Sept 8, 2009 14:12:35 GMT by Quacker Jack

Chris

Chris Avatar

Head Coder

June 2005
Wrighty: Are any of your codes hosted on wImg? If so, can you send them to me on MSN? I'll host them off my domain at least temporarily. (I'm going to try to do the same for all other hosted codes, hopefully.)

Jack: I think you meant Wrighty, not Fredy. :P

Michael

Michael Avatar
*Has a custom title*

October 2007
Chris - I didn't think of that - I'll have a look through - I think it's mainly the profile remodel that is! :)

Hotshot

Hotshot Avatar

Legendary Studio Member

June 2008
Tis a shame, but what must be must be done. I personally loved Wimg <3.

newBookmarkLockedFalling