Please login or register. Welcome to the Studio, guest!

Quick Links:

newBookmarkLockedFalling

Aaron

Aaron Avatar
Bad Wolf

Dedicated Studio Member

November 2006
So recently I started a Facebook group for people interested in playing video games competitively. It's doing quite well, in fact, and our first tourney will be held in February (expecting around 70 to 80 participants). We're still collaborating on the details, but CODMW2, Halo 3, Smash Brawl, and Mario Kart Wii look to make a promising and diverse line-up.

I'm sure quite a few of you have taken an interest to the idea before. I'm just here to tell you you're not the only one, and it's not as impractical as you might think.

The first tourney likely won't see too many entrants, so we'll be hosting it in-house. Charging an entry fee for each game will pay for prize money and electricity. In addition, most of the setups (TVs, games, systems) will be brought by the people that want to play. And to further encourage people to bring them, we're giving out discounts. Matches will (hopefully) be recorded, so the hype can last after the experience ends (and will more people to go to the next one). As the scene grows, we can begin to charge more. The initiative being more people to play with and a higher payout for placing well. The more we agree to pay, the more accommodations we can get (renting a large venue, getting catering, etc.).

So in the end, the host might be out like $100 bucks for providing a foundation, but anyone entering at most stands to lose $10 or so bucks out of their pocket (which they traded off for a fun experience anyway). Works out pretty well (in fact, the smash bros community makes the absolute most of it).

Before our first tourney we're doing small gaming fests. Just getting people together to play for fun and practice. It's something we'll continue to do as long as we have people interested.

Lucifer

Lucifer Avatar

Mythical Studio Member

Eunuch

August 2005
The closest I had was a DotA LAN party in my buddy's garage. There was about 10 of us playing and 2 guys who couldn't get their computers to work, so they bought us Taco Bell. :D

Aaron

Aaron Avatar
Bad Wolf

Dedicated Studio Member

November 2006
Haha, I haven't played Warcraft III in forever. I miss that trigger editor. =p

But yeah, the point of the facebook group is to appeal to what the players want. Everyone gets together, speaks their mind, and compromises on what games they want to play and how much they're willing to pay for it all. The host just does the grunt work and takes care of some of the more minute details (like making sure the line-up appeals to a wide audience [hence us doing around 4 or 5 very different games for this first tourney]).

Lucifer

Lucifer Avatar

Mythical Studio Member

Eunuch

August 2005
I'm honestly envious. It sounds like a really awesome idea.

Jake

Jake Avatar

ProNation

December 2005
I take part in quite a few LANs around the area. However, I don't join in on the newer games such as Halo 3 and Call of Duty. I always play in the Halo 1 and 2 Doubles brackets. A lot of fun honestly.

newfieldgrafix
I used to run LANs, but ever since the '06 Crash, I haven't bothered. I had 7 computers, one, a server. Just run a clan now. Might hit the CPL World Tour, but other than that, it'll be ages before I scrape the cash for 16 computers to run one again. It would be nice though.

abZebras

abZebras Avatar

ProNation

June 2008
Man, that sounds pretty sweet.

We once had like 10 people over at a friends house (plan on doing it again soon).
I also went and watched MLG Meadowlands April this year (happened to be in NYC the same weekend anyway)

newBookmarkLockedFalling