Please login or register. Welcome to the Studio, guest!

Quick Links:

newBookmarkLockedFalling

Scorpian

Scorpian Avatar

[ Bracket Admin ]

April 2006
Source: Neowin

Left 4 Dead 2, sequel to Valve's competitive first-person shooter, has been refused classification by the Australian government on the grounds that the game exceeds the maximum rating of MA15+. When a title has been refused classification, it cannot be made commercially available in the country, in an essence banning the game.

While not being technically "banned", the effect is the same. As long as this upholds, nobody in Australia can legally purchase the game. Gotta admit that this makes me more interested in it, though. If it's so violent that it makes the board this nervous, it's gotta be good. ^_^
wat

Josh

Josh Avatar
Where were you when Reach fell?

Legendary Studio Member

May 2008
You see, that's bullshit. Censorship in general is bullshit. To refuse a company the right to sell a product is just utter nonsense. Why deny stores the chance to make that money, especially in these economic times? Bleh. Slap a hard rating on it. Like an M rating here in the state. Make it where no minor can buy the game. After you turn 18 (or whatever the age is in Australia) they really have no right to deny you anything.

Scorpian

Scorpian Avatar

[ Bracket Admin ]

April 2006
Are you crazy? Violent games are the entire reason that people are violent in the first place. Don't you listen to those censorship groups? It's not a parenting problem or anything. Nooooooo. It's the games.
wat

Josh

Josh Avatar
Where were you when Reach fell?

Legendary Studio Member

May 2008
Fuck. If I imitated the games I played, I'd have been sniping aliens with friggin' laser beams every day for the last 6 years.

Lucifer

Lucifer Avatar

Mythical Studio Member

Eunuch

August 2005
If I imitated the games I play, I'd be rolling around a giant sticky ball, gathering miscellaneous items to create stars.

Gotta love Katamari. ^_^

Eric

Eric Avatar

November 2005
Scorpian Avatar
Are you crazy? Violent games are the entire reason that people are violent in the first place. Don't you listen to those censorship groups? It's not a parenting problem or anything. Nooooooo. It's the games.
Of course. You forgot to mention that video games also caused violence before wars even existed. This was due to the expectation of video games.

While I don't think games should be censored, I do think that parents should be responsible in what they let their kids play. My nephew was epic at FPS before he even learned to read. Something about that just seems... wrong.

PrincessPeach

PrincessPeach Avatar

Official Member

May 2008
My nephew was epic at FPS before he even learned to read. Something about that just seems... wrong.

BWAHAHAHAHHHAAAAA

Last Edit: Sept 21, 2009 16:10:11 GMT by PrincessPeach

PrincessPeach

PrincessPeach Avatar

Official Member

May 2008
Ummm... I know I'm in the minority but why do people want a chainsaw weapon?

In Zombie Panic: Source, people want chainsaws and lawnmowers. That's just too bloody/gory for me.

:/

newfieldgrafix
I'm with Josh, censorship should be in it's self BANNED! Why go by physical age, when an 18 year old sociopath could quite easily by an M title (if s/he is of age)? I say go by mental stability, not age.

I know I hate living in the UK and all our stupid laws, but hell, we don't have BBFC censorship anymore. A four year old can now legally buy FEAR 2.

Eric

Eric Avatar

November 2005
newfieldgrafix Avatar
Sept 21, 2009 16:22:42 GMT @newfieldgrafix said:
I'm with Josh, censorship should be in it's self BANNED! Why go by physical age, when an 18 year old sociopath could quite easily by an M title (if s/he is of age)? I say go by mental stability, not age.

I know I hate living in the UK and all our stupid laws, but hell, we don't have BBFC censorship anymore. A four year old can now legally buy FEAR 2.
Mental stability is something a little bit harder to verify than age. Not too mention, I'd rather have the sociopath playing the game than out on the streets.

Lucifer

Lucifer Avatar

Mythical Studio Member

Eunuch

August 2005
Eric Avatar
newfieldgrafix Avatar
Sept 21, 2009 16:22:42 GMT @newfieldgrafix said:

Mental stability is something a little bit harder to verify than age. Not too mention, I'd rather have the sociopath playing the game than out on the streets.

Which is exactly why I DON'T think games cause violence. It's a substitute to actual violence.

Eric

Eric Avatar

November 2005
Lucifer Avatar
Eric Avatar

Which is exactly why I DON'T think games cause violence. It's a substitute to actual violence.
Yes, but for children it's a quick way to learn extreme forms of violence. Without seeing those forms of violence, children would have no notion of their existence.

Jake

Jake Avatar

ProNation

December 2005
Honestly, if we copied the games we played, everyone would be locked in dark rooms, eating glowing pellets, while being chased around by ghosts.

Sure glad the world isn't like that.

newfieldgrafix
@ Luci:
I understand where you're coming from. But on a more medical level, if someone 'needs' that substitute, they should probably be being substituted in a controlled environment. I do believe that certain games can have adverse effects on some, more impressionable people; while I also believe that the press and various 'groups' do their best to blame games.

@ Eric:
I don't think we should censor violence to children, I'd rather my child learn that carjackings are OK, as long as they are kept in GTA (and then I'd be able to pass on my legendary police evasion...), and in that context while reiterating that this behavior is wholly unacceptable in the real world.

Summary:
Would I let my 8 year old (I'm not a parent yet) play Grand Theft Auto? Yes. As long as s/he is educated that it is wrong to do the things common in which ever fictitious city GTA is set in by then.

Would I let my 8 year old (still not a parent) play F.E.A.R. No. I do not believe that there is sufficient neurological development in an 18 year old, let alone an 8 year old to comprehend the theme of that game.

I would make an assessment based on the theme of the game as opposed to what the censors say. They don't know my child, how can they determine his/her level of maturity or ability to understand these themes? As I say, I'm not a parent, and my views may change over time or in the coming of fatherhood. I'm gonna quit rambling before my Custom Title mysteriously changes to 'Forum Windbag'.

Eric

Eric Avatar

November 2005
What I'm saying comes from the issues I've seen with my nephew (who is six). That child is a saint as long as anyone 30+ is around, but as soon as they disappear he turns very violent in about 5 minutes. He'll start hitting, kicking, picking up objects and throwing them, use objects to increase his swinging power and damage.

Part of the problem, no doubt, is discipline. The parents never punish as much unless they see it. Since they never see the bad side, they find it hard to believe that it gets that bad. So naturally they lighten the punishment.

However, I can guarantee that child would not be anywhere near as violent if he hadn't already killed however many thousand people in video games or if he hadn't seen R rated war movies. There are some things that children should not see and should not play. I'd say by about 12-13 years old most games are fine, but by that point the child's behavior is already pretty well defined.

There's a large difference between censoring and limiting. Censoring would be making them believe it doesn't exist. And when they find out it does they'll experiment with it, so it's a failure anyways. I just think that the violence should be limited.

I think the maturity ratings are good, because they prevent kids from buying games, but allow parents to get the game for their child at their discretion.

newBookmarkLockedFalling