Please login or register. Welcome to the Studio, guest!

Quick Links:

newBookmarkLockedFalling

Quacker Jack

Quacker Jack Avatar

ProNation

December 2007
Hey guys,

So I've decided to step up a bit and talk about what has been on my mind recently about this place. Now, before I go on, know that this place still is a place I like coming to. Do I have plans of leaving? No. Never. But do I think I will be less active? Hell yeah.

I'm going to say it. I think this place is slowly winding down. No offense towards staff, but you are all less active these days. And before someone starts yelling at me about their lives, I understand completely. Okay? I am just stating this, because it is true. Life is overall much more important than here. So now need to start the horn. But I think it would help if you guys showed up a tick more, and maybe hired another staff member.

Another thing is it seems like projects here come and go. The v3 progression is..... won't even say it. The new code database is looking like it isn't happening. I am not pointing fingers or anything, but it goes with above. So don't start your talking about that, I understand. I am making a point.

I dunno, something about this place just isn't right. I know school is back, but some of the more active members aren't really active anymore. I am not as active. OCD was really active and kinda disappeared a bit. Some others have gotten less active. And I will say it again, we have lives and I understand that. I am just making a point.

One last thing. This place just hasn't been the same the last 2 months. I don't know if it is the staff, or the community, etc. (and must I say don't bring up that one point), but I think Studio Zero is slowly going inactive. Now we are still active, but we use to have a lot more posting going on everyday. Now there rarely is stuff going on. I know it is about the life and stuff.

Anyways, I thought I'd just speak what has been on my mind. Studio Zero recently has disappointed me, and not that I don't have a life or stuff, I just would love to see it back to what it was. Now I just know someone is going to say we have lives and I get it, but I just wanted to point all this out.

Chris

Chris Avatar

Head Coder

June 2005
In the past, school has always slowed our activity. However, this time we take a larger blow. In high school, I still had time to sneak on SZ and post. In college? Nope. Not in the LEAST. I'm in what can be called the most difficult college in the world. (That's debatable obviously, but besides the point.)

As for projects... we always have something going on towards v3. No surprise there. The issue is finding something we like and want to develop. Trust me, Ben and I constantly talk about this in an attempt to get something going. CIv4 is... well, the same point it was last I posted about it. If I could find just 2 hours to sit down and program, undisturbed, I could easily finish it. Unfortunately, 2 hours are quite rare. I only have time to even reply to stuff right now because I'm sick and skipping a party at my frat.

In regards to general activity dropping... go check the CC. We don't get many new threads anymore, so discussion can't even be created. that doesn't help at all.

Also, we'll add staff eventually. I may or may not have mentioned it before, but I do have some upcoming promotions for people. Those who are being promoted already know. (And aren't supposed to say anything. :P)

In the long run, yes, I know SZ is going downhill. It doesn't help that all but two of the staff members aren't in college, and even then they're in high school.

Lucifer

Lucifer Avatar

Mythical Studio Member

Eunuch

August 2005
Quacker Jack Avatar
One last thing. This place just hasn't been the same the last 2 months.

Son of a bitch, I knew it was my fault! I should've never come back! :'(

Josh

Josh Avatar
Where were you when Reach fell?

Legendary Studio Member

May 2008
Lucifer Avatar
Quacker Jack Avatar
One last thing. This place just hasn't been the same the last 2 months.

Son of a bitch, I knew it was my fault! I should've never come back! :'(

Ok, so this is totally irrelevant but for whatever reason this post reminded me of the absolute best Glenn moment in Accepted. Click me to watch

"I knew I smelled bacon!"

Michael

Michael Avatar
*Has a custom title*

October 2007
People are busy, you're moaning over people being busy... And you just elongated your post by repeating the fact that people are busy.

So in response to your post, I'd like to point out that you've answered it already by stating within your earlier post that people are busy, myself included, after today, I should have some more spare time! :)

;D

Lucifer

Lucifer Avatar

Mythical Studio Member

Eunuch

August 2005
Also, keep in mind that when people aren't busy, they're not necessarily jumping on internet forums. A lot of people like to go out with friends and relax and sleep. That's why activity is down. People lose some of their free time and suddenly the free time they have left is devoted to "bigger" things like going out and doing stuff, not sitting at home on the interwebz.

Josh

Josh Avatar
Where were you when Reach fell?

Legendary Studio Member

May 2008
Lucifer Avatar
Also, keep in mind that when people aren't busy, they're not necessarily jumping on internet forums. A lot of people like to go out with friends and relax and sleep. That's why activity is down. People lose some of their free time and suddenly the free time they have left is devoted to "bigger" things like going out and doing stuff, not sitting at home on the interwebz.

Unless your name is Josh, that is. :P

Lucifer

Lucifer Avatar

Mythical Studio Member

Eunuch

August 2005
Josh Avatar
Lucifer Avatar

Unless your name is Josh, that is. :P

Yeah, me too. We're exceptions. I'm talking about normal, healthy folk.

Hotshot

Hotshot Avatar

Legendary Studio Member

June 2008
Jack sorry it needs to be said.. We are busy.. Man I barely have any free time anymore. For example I'll tell you how my friday went...

Thursday night I was up till 2:15 doing homework. I woke up at 5:45 did my morning routine went to school at 7:20.. Got out at 2:12. Friday was a special day where I had a French volleyball game after school, but I have joined three clubs, so usually I am at school for a few hours afterwords anyways. The game lasted a few hours. I left at 4 because I had to work from 5-7. Got off work at 7 and came home, got changed, grabbed some food to eat in the car and went off to the football game at my school. (We are currently 4-0 and first in the state!) That lasted till about 10ish and then I came home and went straight to bed. Not only was I exhausted, but I had came down with a cold Thursday.

Many of my days go like this with work, school, and life. Do I want to be here? Yes. Do I feel bad? Yes. Am I trying to make time? Yes. I had plans of getting caught up in the contest board this weekend, but I've been running a high fever all weekend and feeling like shit. I've mostly been laying in bed.

Chris

Chris Avatar

Head Coder

June 2005
My day isn't any better than hotshot's. :P

Typical day: Wake up an hour before class, so 8:30 on TR or 9 on MWF (10 if I skip my bio lceture). Go to classes til my first break (11 Tr, 1 MFW). I then proceed to go to my frat to get lunch. After that, I either have about 15 minutes to get to my next class or I have an hour free, which is filled with working, studying, or a needed nap. After that I go back to class with an occasional hour break til 4 TR or 3 MWF. On MWF, I go to the student center and do more work til 4. At 4 both days, I go to the locker room and get my pads and everything ready for football. at 4:45, pre-practice starts followed by practice at 5. We get in the locker room at 7:30. After showering, eating dinner at my frat, it's typically 8:30-9 by the time I'm back at my dorm. I then do homework til 4-5 in the morning typically. As you can see, I don't have much time either. So, yeah, there's a reason I haven't been around. On the weekends, I typically lose 10 hours on Saturday for football and then a few more for setting up a party at my frat and even more if I go to it. Sunday pledges cook breakfast at 11-1 and clean up after the party, and thus we leave about 2-3. We have a meeting at 9-11 that night. (I'm leaving to go back to it right now.) My down time is typically spent on homework.

So, yeah, I post when I can.

newfieldgrafix
I've noticed a slight decline in activity, but I have noticed the same throughout most forums. The Zell is always here...

I can't see it as too big a deal as I'm sure it will pick up again as people adapt to their 'term schedules' and get used to managing their new timetables.

Andrew McGivery

Andrew McGivery Avatar
Formerly Fredy

Legendary Studio Member

Male

September 2005
so... how many times have we had this exact same thread now? 5?
k

Chris

Chris Avatar

Head Coder

June 2005
Andrew McGivery Avatar

8 actually. We decided to cover them up with blankets though.

Parker

Parker Avatar

February 2009
Chris Avatar
Andrew McGivery Avatar

8 actually. We decided to cover them up with blankets though.

Lol so true but yeah if anyone (probably not ;( ) has noticed I haven't been on much at all, thats cause of school starting back up which like every other forum (slight exaggeration) is slowing down activity but hey I still come on and will offer help if ya guys need it :)

Ess Ohh

Ess Ohh Avatar
help me

Ghost Admin

August 2005
I might have a little more time next semester.

might.

but you guys won't see me much until december. anyway, there are two options:

stick it through thick and thin
shut the whole place down

I think it's a little early to make rash decisions. but quacker if you feel SZ is disappointing you, do you have any suggestions to fix the place? Realistic suggestions anyway, so staff activity will probably remain level for a while.

newBookmarkLockedFalling