Please login or register. Welcome to the Studio, guest!

Quick Links:

newBookmarkLockedFalling

Lucifer

Lucifer Avatar

Mythical Studio Member

Eunuch

August 2005
So I'm gonna try Ubuntu on a virtual hard drive. I've been considering Ubuntu for a LONG time, and with as much as Vista sucks, I'm considering it even more. At least a dual-boot or something, but we'll see how well I like this little test. Only problem is that it lacks some important compatibilities (like Zune software and Spore).

newfieldgrafix
To be honest, I have never had a problem with Vista in all the 2 and some years I've been using it - nothing.

Ubuntu, yuck, horrible thing. I ran it from a live CD ages ago, as a 'put-me-on' while Gentoo was downloading. I hated it. It was too wrong. I can't describe it. I didn't like Gentoo either. Don't like Linux, don't have time to mess around.

As a server OS, hell yeah, come here, Tux, but as a dumb, nope. Come to think of it, is Citrix Linux based?

Last Edit: Oct 8, 2009 9:10:15 GMT by newfieldgrafix

Lucifer

Lucifer Avatar

Mythical Studio Member

Eunuch

August 2005
What exactly didn't you like about it?

Lucifer

Lucifer Avatar

Mythical Studio Member

Eunuch

August 2005
I'm using Ubuntu right now on this. It's not bad, except that the resolution is insanely tiny and so is the screen I'm in. But so far, I like that it's super clean and nice. Of course, Vista COULD be, too, so who's to say I wouldn't end up filling Ubuntu with shit like I do with Vista? And of course, who doesn't love new, sleek things?

But yeah, we'll see how this test goes. I'm gonna see what I can and can't run in this, and how things go. We'll see how long until I switch out of this window back to Vista.

newfieldgrafix
Well they spell Security Center 'Security Centre' which annoys me - I'm from the UK, so I can publicly be annoyed at EN-UK. It's orange too. Don't get me wrong, I like orange, just not Ubuntu Orange, it looks, 'Linuxy' all matte and no gloss. No depth to it. It's visually unappealing. I know you can change it - I just don't have time to learn how to.

Is there an Ubuntu helpline?

Simie

Simie Avatar

ProScripter

May 2006
newfieldgrafix Avatar
Oct 8, 2009 10:34:52 GMT @newfieldgrafix said:
Well they spell Security Center 'Security Centre' which annoys me - I'm from the UK, so I can publicly be annoyed at EN-UK.

what

You're annoyed at the correct spelling?

Josh

Josh Avatar
Where were you when Reach fell?

Legendary Studio Member

May 2008
newfieldgrafix Avatar
Oct 8, 2009 10:34:52 GMT @newfieldgrafix said:
Well they spell Security Center 'Security Centre' which annoys me - I'm from the UK, so I can publicly be annoyed at EN-UK. It's orange too. Don't get me wrong, I like orange, just not Ubuntu Orange, it looks, 'Linuxy' all matte and no gloss. No depth to it. It's visually unappealing. I know you can change it - I just don't have time to learn how to.

Is there an Ubuntu helpline?

Use the US-EN version. Pretty sure it spells it Center. And I don't know what you are talking about... matte is WAAAAAY better than gloss.

newfieldgrafix
It's OK, I just don't like Linux. I'm making excuses. I do the same for OSX too.

nrich

nrich Avatar

Banned

October 2006
linux is great if you're not planning on doing cpu heavy things like gaming or photoshop. wine may load those things just fine sometimes but it's usually laggy and impractical. otherwise, it's a fun alternative for the guys who like to fuck with their system and UI constantly

OS preference bitching is no different than any other preference bitching, but at least it helps me weed out the opinionated assholes

newfieldgrafix
That's it, I do a lot of gaming, rendering and playing media, mostly at the same time. For a dedicated server, hell yeah, Linux FTW!

Eric

Eric Avatar

November 2005
I use Ubuntu as my primary operating system. For developers it's so handy. You get all of the updates to software right away, which is especially helpful for development software

It's much easier for me to use, because I don't have to remember where every command line tool is located in order to use it. It's such a hassle having to navigate to an exe in windows.

It also helps that I bothered to learn a decent amount of BASH, so I have all kinds of processes that run using cron. Since I am also using it as a local development server, I sure as hell don't want to use windows.

Basically that's why I use linux. I do have a Vista laptop for gaming though.

Jim

Jim Avatar
Josh was here.

Studio Member

September 2005
Eric Avatar
I use Ubuntu as my primary operating system. For developers it's so handy. You get all of the updates to software right away, which is especially helpful for development software

It's much easier for me to use, because I don't have to remember where every command line tool is located in order to use it. It's such a hassle having to navigate to an exe in windows.

It also helps that I bothered to learn a decent amount of BASH, so I have all kinds of processes that run using cron. Since I am also using it as a local development server, I sure as hell don't want to use windows.

I always figured Fedora would be better for developers.

Eric

Eric Avatar

November 2005
Jim Avatar
Eric Avatar

I always figured Fedora would be better for developers.
I used Fedora for a little while, but after using Ubuntu I found it much more intuitive and easy to use (as a developer and end-user).

iiPod

iiPod Avatar

ProNation

October 2009
'Course, you know what you should really do? Get a Mac. 8-)
Looking for a coder, PM me.

Lucifer

Lucifer Avatar

Mythical Studio Member

Eunuch

August 2005
iiPod Avatar
'Course, you know what you should really do? Get a Mac. 8-)

If I had the money, I SO would.

newBookmarkLockedFalling