Please login or register. Welcome to the Studio, guest!

Quick Links:

newBookmarkLockedFalling

Scorpian

Scorpian Avatar

[ Bracket Admin ]

April 2006
Source: www.neowin.net/news/main/09/10/23/nokia-sues-apple-over-the-iphone

Apparently, Apple has been getting a "free ride" on Nokia's mobile technology since the iPhone's launch. Seeing as how Nokia is one hell of a large company, this should get pretty interesting. If they really are serious about this and can prove that the iPhone is mooching off their technology, Apple could very easily have to pay an enormous amount of money. I'm definitely going to be paying attention to this.

Hey, maybe now's a good time to invest in some Nokia stock... or maybe not. =/
wat

Josh

Josh Avatar
Where were you when Reach fell?

Legendary Studio Member

May 2008
Apple gets sued over the iPhone a few times a year. No one ever wins (and the includes big name companies such as Cisco). I doubt this will be any different

Benjamin

Benjamin Avatar
#YOCO... You only color once.

Elite Mod

November 2006
xmsteel Avatar
So what are they doing, like using their ideas or what?

Allegedly, yes. It all depends on what kind of copyrights and patents nokia holds though
Lucifer Avatar
I'm gonna start dishing out internet beatings if people keep it up with this 4chan shit, I swear.

Eric

Eric Avatar

November 2005
xmsteel Avatar
Benjamin Avatar

Allegedly, yes. It all depends on what kind of copyrights and patents nokia holds though

In that case, Apple should sue Windows for taking ideas from them.

(And none of you complain or say crap like "they didnt steal ideas") We all know they did, and if you dont, look at these examples:

1.) Search bar in Vista added AFTER Apple had it.

2.) 3D Chess Added to Vista AFTER Apple had it.

3.) Widgets/Gadgets added to Vista AFTER Apple had it.

1) The concept of a search bar is way before Vista and not originated by Apple.
2) 3D chess has been around for a while, again, not originated by Apple.
3) Although the dashboard concept was somewhat novel (to my knowledge) widgets had been around in a program/process format for a while.

Not to mention, none of these ideas were patented by Apple. Nokia is claiming that Apple is using their patents.

I certainly wouldn't say that Microsoft stole from Apple. No, we don't all know they did. Way to be a Mac-junky.

Josh

Josh Avatar

Legendary Studio Member

May 2008
If Apple did that, it would be a PR nightmare. Microsoft is the absolutely only reason that Apple lived to see the release of OS X and the iPod.

Josh

Josh Avatar

Legendary Studio Member

May 2008
xmsteel Avatar
Either way, Windows Vista included features Apple already had out.

And if I'm a apple junky, you all must be windows junky?

You're funny. I'm running a MacBook, upgraded to Snow Leopard the day it came out, and spend my life designing apps and customizing the Mac system. So no, I am definitely not a "Windows junky".

Eric

Eric Avatar

November 2005
xmsteel Avatar

Linux junky actually. Between the other two OS's I prefer Windows, but I tend to dislike Mac just due to the zealots.

Benjamin

Benjamin Avatar
#YOCO... You only color once.

Elite Mod

November 2006
xmsteel Avatar
In that case, Apple should sue Windows for taking ideas from them.

(And none of you complain or say crap like "they didnt steal ideas") We all know they did, and if you dont, look at these examples:

1.) Search bar in Vista added AFTER Apple had it.

2.) 3D Chess Added to Vista AFTER Apple had it.

3.) Widgets/Gadgets added to Vista AFTER Apple had it.

... Really, guy? You seriously need to research to support your arguments, preferably before you make them. These features, as Eric said, have all been around long before Vista OR OS X. In fact, I believe there were a few different forks of linux that contained these features long before any other OS.

Unless the idea is copyrighted/patented, it really isn't stealing.

Do you even own a mac?
Lucifer Avatar
I'm gonna start dishing out internet beatings if people keep it up with this 4chan shit, I swear.

iiPod

iiPod Avatar

ProNation

October 2009
Josh Avatar
xmsteel Avatar

You're funny. I'm running a MacBook, upgraded to Snow Leopard the day it came out, and spend my life designing apps and customizing the Mac system. So no, I am definitely not a "Windows junky".

Yes, this. I love Macs, and hate Windows. Simples. :P
Looking for a coder, PM me.

Scorpian

Scorpian Avatar

[ Bracket Admin ]

April 2006
How did this turn from a Nokia vs. Apple to an Apple vs. Microsoft thread? Windows has nothing to do with anything in relation to this...
wat

Jim

Jim Avatar
Josh was here.

Studio Member

September 2005
xmsteel Avatar

...all of which were debuted in Linux or from third party sources before either included them as standard, so I just don't quite understand your argument.

Simie

Simie Avatar

ProScripter

May 2006
Jim Avatar
xmsteel Avatar

...all of which were debuted in Linux or from third party sources before either included them as standard, so I just don't quite understand your argument.

I doubt all of them, but probably a most of them.

Was Exposé in linux before mac? Thats one of their main original features, would be interesting if it wasn't.

Scorpian

Scorpian Avatar

[ Bracket Admin ]

April 2006
Mac has nothing to do with anything in this thread. Please stop discussing it. This is for iphonefags (or iPhags, if you will), not macfags.
wat

Lucifer

Lucifer Avatar

Mythical Studio Member

Eunuch

August 2005
Scorpian Avatar
Mac has nothing to do with anything in this thread. Please stop discussing it. This is for iphonefags (or iPhags, if you will), not macfags.

Seriously, where did all the 4chan references come from suddenly? O_o

But like...someone said, Apple has been getting sued for the iPhone a lot. I doubt it will go anywhere. Nokia may be different because they're a massive company, but honestly, I think everyone is just jealous of the iPhone's success. Same reason anything popular gets sued.

newBookmarkLockedFalling