Please login or register. Welcome to the Studio, guest!

Quick Links:

newBookmarkLockedFalling

Eric

Eric Avatar

November 2005
iDon't
www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPYM-XTqcec

Although the iPhone is cool, I'm one of the few people who has been too lazy to get one. Not to mention, I didn't feel like dealing with the hassle of switching carriers (oh wait, that's laziness).

Anyways, I think droid will be an awesome phone. After all, Google is helping out. And we all know that when google does something, they do it right (after screwing up 1000x in beta!).

Last Edit: Oct 26, 2009 3:08:55 GMT by Eric

Lucifer

Lucifer Avatar

Mythical Studio Member

Eunuch

August 2005
xmsteel Avatar
Why can't we see what it looks like?

Don't get worked up for something, because it might look like this: www.weblogsinc.com/common/images/6843839061761473.jpg

I would totally buy that phone. It looks sick.

Eric

Eric Avatar

November 2005
xmsteel Avatar
Why can't we see what it looks like?

Don't get worked up for something, because it might look like this: www.weblogsinc.com/common/images/6843839061761473.jpg
Because they're building anticipation. But from what I've read it basically looks like the iPhone (only better! but not really).

Josh

Josh Avatar
Where were you when Reach fell?

Legendary Studio Member

May 2008
Droid is a series of phones, not a single phone. It is the branding of all phones using the Android OS on Verizon. Google isn't helping out specifically, it is just their OS that is being used on the phone (which is also being used on countless other devices).

That said, you can see the Motorolla Droid Sholes here. And the HTC Droid Eris is in that post.

Last Edit: Oct 26, 2009 3:25:13 GMT by Josh

Eric

Eric Avatar

November 2005
Josh Avatar
Droid is a series of phones, not a single phone. It is the branding of all phones using the Android OS on Verizon. Google isn't helping out specifically, it is just their OS that is being used on the phone (which is also being used on countless other devices).

That said, you can see the Motorolla Droid Sholes here. And the HTC Droid Eris is in that post.
Well that's weak, because I've known about Android for a while. I need to start reading more than the top two results on (ironically) google. I was hoping google would have more involvement.

Josh

Josh Avatar

Legendary Studio Member

May 2008

newfieldgrafix
Is their only stab at marketing going to be an attack on the iPhone?

Eric

Eric Avatar

November 2005
newfieldgrafix Avatar
Oct 30, 2009 4:22:46 GMT @newfieldgrafix said:
Is their only stab at marketing going to be an attack on the iPhone?
I doubt it. This is probably just the first wave of marketing. I'm sure other marketing plans will start appearing.

That, and proving even an ugly phone can work.
They are actually pretty sleek looking phones, I'm not sure what you were looking at.

Josh

Josh Avatar

Legendary Studio Member

May 2008
The "iDon't" campaign was to build hype for the Droid series. They wanted to get a bunch of people thinking "Hey, the iPhone doesn't do those things? And Droid will? I wonder what else these phones will do?"

To be honest, I think it was a genius move by Verizon.

As for being "an ugly phone", I don't think so. A phone doesn't have to be super glossy and everything. The Sholes is going to be marketed toward business people, guaranteed. The Eris is definitely your typical consumer looking phone, that will be marketed toward the average customer, I bet.

Josh

Josh Avatar

Legendary Studio Member

May 2008
You totally missed the part where I said that the Sholes (I guess it is officially called DROID now) is likely to be marketed toward business people. With a $200 price tag, I doubt very many "texting teens" would be able to afford it, anyway.

And the review from Engadget is calling DROID one of, if not the best smart phones on the market. People need to get over their obsession with getting products that will look good to others. Get what you need, not what you think will make you look good.

And on that note, any variation of the RAZR is ugly as hell. The Chocolate isn't very good anymore, either. And why any heavy texter would get a non-QWERTY phone is beyond me.

EDIT: And I find the DROID to be quite good looking, to be honest. It's a breath of fresh air, in my opinion.

Last Edit: Oct 30, 2009 18:33:21 GMT by Josh

Eric

Eric Avatar

November 2005
xmsteel Avatar
Josh Avatar
The "iDon't" campaign was to build hype for the Droid series. They wanted to get a bunch of people thinking "Hey, the iPhone doesn't do those things? And Droid will? I wonder what else these phones will do?"

To be honest, I think it was a genius move by Verizon.

As for being "an ugly phone", I don't think so. A phone doesn't have to be super glossy and everything. The Sholes is going to be marketed toward business people, guaranteed. The Eris is definitely your typical consumer looking phone, that will be marketed toward the average customer, I bet.

People usually (especially texting teens) like good looking phones.

IMO these are decent:
I hate flip open phones by now. Slide ups aren't so bad. The only problem I saw with the Shole is that it's slightly squarish, but the Eris design looks fine. Also, like Josh said, Droid is a series of phones, so other designs are bound to come out.

Josh

Josh Avatar

Legendary Studio Member

May 2008
One of the seciest non-Apple or HTC phones in recent memory was the Sony Ericsson Xperia X1. That thing had some hard edges on it, too. :P

Lucifer

Lucifer Avatar

Mythical Studio Member

Eunuch

August 2005
Josh Avatar
You totally missed the part where I said that the Sholes (I guess it is officially called DROID now) is likely to be marketed toward business people. With a $200 price tag, I doubt very many "texting teens" would be able to afford it, anyway.

And the review from Engadget is calling DROID one of, if not the best smart phones on the market. People need to get over their obsession with getting products that will look good to others. Get what you need, not what you think will make you look good.

And on that note, any variation of the RAZR is ugly as hell. The Chocolate isn't very good anymore, either. And why any heavy texter would get a non-QWERTY phone is beyond me.

EDIT: And I find the DROID to be quite good looking, to be honest. It's a breath of fresh air, in my opinion.

I'mma have to disagree with just about everything here.

I'm still essentially a teenager, and I plan on getting the new Blackberry Storm2, and I guarantee you that it will have a nice $200 pricetag or more.

Also, looks are very important to me. I don't like phones that look cheap or gaudy or unnecessarily...anything. Like the Razr. I think the menu looks horrible, the phone is wide and flat, and the buttons are huge. It just looks horrible. I would never get a phone that ugly.

And...I'm a HUGE texter (is that a noun now?) and I love non-QWERTY phones. I actually hate keyboards. I'm great on my laptop because I have my whole hand. When I just have thumbs, it's a lot different. I like T9. Besides, I can text faster than most people I know using any format (ABC, T9, or QWERTY), and half the time I don't even have to look. I know what key I'm pushing and I know if I need to change the "suggested" word or not.

The irony is that the Storm2 does have a full keyboard, but it's touchscreen, it's a bit bigger, and it just seems to be laid out better than most physical QWERTY phones. Probably because they don't have to dedicate one button to 3 separate functions (uppercase, lowercase, and punctuation). It makes the buttons easier to read and switching keyboard menus (or whatever you might call it) is a lot more functional. Or at least I think so.

newBookmarkLockedFalling