Please login or register. Welcome to the Studio, guest!

Quick Links:

newBookmarkLockedFalling

Quinine

Quinine Avatar
[5]

Senior Studio Member

May 2007
money donated = points = motivation for staff members = ?

I think it would be a good idea.

Hotshot

Hotshot Avatar

Legendary Studio Member

June 2008
to finish your chain = Chris getting rid of ads / me hosting contests that involve prizes that can be bought with the donated money or even cash. :D

Agreed it is a good idea.

Quinine

Quinine Avatar
[5]

Senior Studio Member

May 2007
awesome chain finisher xD

Quinine

Quinine Avatar
[5]

Senior Studio Member

May 2007
I see what you mean, but I personally don't think it matters.

Quinine

Quinine Avatar
[5]

Senior Studio Member

May 2007
No it wouldn't, all you have to do is make a donate button, stick it somewhere, (perhaps in the footer next to Report Rip and Contact) and change a few paragraphs in the Shop Thread.

Lucifer

Lucifer Avatar

Mythical Studio Member

Eunuch

August 2005
First of all, no one would do it.

Second of all, it could cause problems. A payment doesn't go through or isn't logged or whatever, and suddenly Chris is stealing money and SZ gets shut down for fraud. That's an extreme example, but this is meant to be a FREE design and resource community. Adding money just complicates things, because really, no one would do this. And if they did, it'd most likely be a one time thing. Chris would make a whopping $30 or so. Really, not worth it.

Quinine

Quinine Avatar
[5]

Senior Studio Member

May 2007
Lucifer Avatar
First of all, no one would do it.

Second of all, it could cause problems. A payment doesn't go through or isn't logged or whatever, and suddenly Chris is stealing money and SZ gets shut down for fraud. That's an extreme example, but this is meant to be a FREE design and resource community. Adding money just complicates things, because really, no one would do this. And if they did, it'd most likely be a one time thing. Chris would make a whopping $30 or so. Really, not worth it.

I'm not sure... see TalkPark and how much they've made, and when you say 'FREE design and resource community', if my idea's implemented, nothing changes... it's just if people want points, and I would happily give money for points, so...

but thanks for sharing your opinion - valued! :)

EDIT: XuzI, I did understand you, so lose the attitude, but
1) you didn't say what Luci said, you used the word 'if', which makes a big difference.

2) you didn't elaborate

3) you said it would be a 'waste of time'.

Last Edit: Oct 31, 2009 10:18:24 GMT by Quinine

Lucifer

Lucifer Avatar

Mythical Studio Member

Eunuch

August 2005
No, I know what you mean, but my point is that people expect to get stuff here for free. As long as they can, why would they donate? With the way activity is these days, no one would care enough to donate. You have people like me who sort of live here and love posting and whatnot, but I wouldn't donate because, for one, I don't have money to, and for two, I have no reason to. I'm not using SZ's resources whatsoever, so what am I donating for? The only reason would be to help Chris out, which is all well and good, but really, I don't think SZ is gonna fall apart if I don't help Chris pay for it with my one time donation.

The other people that come here are basically here for the resources and rarely, if ever, post. And once they get what they want, they leave. They're not about to donate if they don't have to.

I realize you're trying to do something good, but really, the work involved outweighs the potential reward. At least I think it does (Chris, being the one who would do that work, may think otherwise).

Anyway, that's basically what I think. I'm not trying to totally shoot you down because it's an admirable idea. I just don't think it would be very successful.

Michael

Michael Avatar
*Has a custom title*

October 2007
If you want to pay with real money for points, why not just do it and PM Chris to ask him if it's possible. I'm sure if you were to pay a suitable amount then he'd get it all done for you.

It's not that hard to do if it's one person that wants it, but if lots want it, then it's slightly harder, but not much harder tbh.

It wouldn't be automatic by any rate.

Quinine

Quinine Avatar
[5]

Senior Studio Member

May 2007
Michael Avatar
If you want to pay with real money for points, why not just do it and PM Chris to ask him if it's possible. I'm sure if you were to pay a suitable amount then he'd get it all done for you.

It's not that hard to do if it's one person that wants it, but if lots want it, then it's slightly harder, but not much harder tbh.

It wouldn't be automatic by any rate.

Easy as that!

Chris

Chris Avatar

Head Coder

June 2005
Or, the easy way.

1) You PM me telling me that you're going to donate and how much, in the form of ad-free credits.
2) I chart down how much we currently have to double check totals.
3) I award you the necessary points once the two totals match up and you tell me that you've donated.

Simple enough, right? :P I obviously don't have an ad-free to points ratio down yet, but I'm sure that could work.

Quinine

Quinine Avatar
[5]

Senior Studio Member

May 2007
Okay! Post an ad-free:points ratio in the shop thread once you've devised one, and then I'll be happy xD

Chris

Chris Avatar

Head Coder

June 2005
I'll talk it over with the staff and get back to you soon. :P

Quinine

Quinine Avatar
[5]

Senior Studio Member

May 2007
kthx

newBookmarkLockedFalling