Please login or register. Welcome to the Studio, guest!

Quick Links:

newBookmarkLockedFalling

NinthJake

NinthJake Avatar
The Ninth

Official Member

November 2009

Well I am still a n00b when it comes to 3ds Max but I think that I am closing in on how to make this light bulb photorealistic now.

Tell me what you think please :)

Last Edit: Nov 5, 2009 7:24:18 GMT by NinthJake

newfieldgrafix
"n00B" What the!?

That's probably the best light bulb I've seen in a long time. It's very well rendered, just a little to hard to see the glass, because of the contrast.

:: rate 4 ::

NinthJake

NinthJake Avatar
The Ninth

Official Member

November 2009
Thank you =D

And yes it has a very high contrast. It gives the image a more photorealistic appearance :P
I tried to change the background though so you can see the glass some more. The only problem though, is that it doesn't matter what color/pattern I change the background to, the glass still isn't visible because of the reflections and refractions : (

And yes I still consider myself a n00b because I don't know why certain problems occur when I work and I don't know how to solve them.

And I haven't made any large-scale work worth mentioning. That's why I'm still a n00b :P

Thank you for your comments though. I really appreciate it ^^

newfieldgrafix
Yeah, actually you're right. A dark background would pull away from what you're trying to acomplish.

Rerate:

:: rate 5 ::

Hey, as for the 'certain problems', we all get those... Blame the software, I do... :D

NinthJake

NinthJake Avatar
The Ninth

Official Member

November 2009
newfieldgrafix Avatar
Nov 5, 2009 21:21:42 GMT @newfieldgrafix said:
Hey, as for the 'certain problems', we all get those... Blame the software, I do... :D

Lol.

And thanks for the re-rate :P

I'll post more 3D art when I get the time :D I am currently modeling a guitar which I hope to finish some time soon.

newfieldgrafix
I look forward to viewing!

Your work thus far has been somwhat brilliant!

NinthJake

NinthJake Avatar
The Ninth

Official Member

November 2009
newfieldgrafix Avatar
Nov 5, 2009 22:52:19 GMT @newfieldgrafix said:
I look forward to viewing!

Your work thus far has been somwhat brilliant!

Thanks alot man ;)

Last Edit: Nov 6, 2009 2:02:16 GMT by NinthJake

newfieldgrafix
You're more than welcome

Lucifer

Lucifer Avatar

Mythical Studio Member

Eunuch

August 2005
xmsteel Avatar
Holy crap I thought it was real! NICE!

In the future, add some criticism or reasoning for your vote. We all know it's really nice, but why do YOU think so?

So, I see only about 2 problems. One is the shadows. They're too hard-edged. Shadows are rarely like that. Make the edges just a tad softer for a more realistic effect.

Also, the bulb appears to be floating. The metal end (what's that called, anyway?) is clearly resting on some sort of undefined surface (a floor, we'll say), but the bulb part isn't. It seems slightly elevated from the metal end (and it's not a perspective thing). If you look at your screen from an underside angle (so if you have a laptop, just tilt the screen way back), you'll see more contrast and you'll see what I mean.

The only other thing I could suggest (and it's not a bad thing, just a matter of preference) is that you add a little "dirt" to it. It looks very clean, shiney, and new. Next time, try making it look like a used bulb. Make it shine a little less, more of a "brushed" look as opposed to a metallic look. You don't have to, of course. It's just something to try for the future. :)

Very good job, though. It's hard to believe it's not real.

NinthJake

NinthJake Avatar
The Ninth

Official Member

November 2009
Thanks for the tips man :D

You are right I really need to work some more on it. It'll have to wait until I get my computer back though :(

newBookmarkLockedFalling