Please login or register. Welcome to the Studio, guest!

Quick Links:

newBookmarkLockedFalling

Josh

Josh Avatar
Where were you when Reach fell?

Legendary Studio Member

May 2008
I just got a History paper back. 190/200 points. Not bad. Until I read her comments, that is. All ten points were lost from grammar. Best part? Only 2 marked errors were actually errors. Apparently she doesn't know how to use a comma. Nor does she think that "semi-colons have a place in modern writing". Yes. I seriously lost 3 points for using semi-colons 3 separate times in the paper.

What the hell.

Moose

Moose Avatar

August 2005
NO! I use semi-colons all the time in my writing! I would die in your class! =(
Greg says:
Coding music...
Greg says:
Hmm...
Greg says:
I wouldn't rule it out. :P
Chris 3.0 [New features? Yes.] says:
:P
Greg says:
If you think about machine code it's a bunch of 1s and 0s
Anything is possible.
Greg says:
Yeah try to code Metallica
:P Yeah, I'll get right on that... right after I learn to fly.

Andrew McGivery

Andrew McGivery Avatar
Formerly Fredy

Legendary Studio Member

Male

September 2005
... I would take that up with the principle/deen/whatever.
k

Josh

Josh Avatar

Legendary Studio Member

May 2008
Andrew McGivery Avatar

I emailed her about it. She told me that I shouldn't complain about losing ten points when the second highest grade in the class on that paper was an 83%. No idea what is going on with her. She's usually super nice and super friendly. As I told Lucifer, she's so extroverted, she makes my introverted self cringe.

Quacker Jack

Quacker Jack Avatar

ProNation

December 2007
Josh Avatar
Andrew McGivery Avatar

I emailed her about it. She told me that I shouldn't complain about losing ten points when the second highest grade in the class on that paper was an 83%. No idea what is going on with her. She's usually super nice and super friendly. As I told Lucifer, she's so extroverted, she makes my introverted self cringe.

When something like this happens to me, I take my paper to my English teacher and have her read it over, and see if they are grammar mistakes. I once had an 100 point assignment, where my original grade was 93/100 for grammar which turned into 99/100 after my English teacher had a talk. Truth is it saved me from losing Honor Roll. If I were you, I'd do that.

Lucifer

Lucifer Avatar

Mythical Studio Member

Eunuch

August 2005
Quacker Jack Avatar
Josh Avatar

When something like this happens to me, I take my paper to my English teacher and have her read it over, and see if they are grammar mistakes. I once had an 100 point assignment, where my original grade was 93/100 for grammar which turned into 99/100 after my English teacher had a talk. Truth is it saved me from losing Honor Roll. If I were you, I'd do that.

Ya know, if Josh cares enough, that's actually a really good idea.

Aaron

Aaron Avatar
Bad Wolf

Dedicated Studio Member

November 2006
Josh Avatar
She told me that I shouldn't complain about losing ten points when the second highest grade in the class on that paper was an 83%.

I hear that way too often. When did doing your best get outmoded for doing better than someone else? Usually this is just a ploy to keep the student from pressing the issue. Works great if you were in a shitty mood and just didn't wanna hand out a perfect score. I knew a teacher once that took off marks on a girl's exam so she wouldn't get a 100% in the class. Her justification being that the girl didn't dot an i.

And as for her slender grasp on grammar, take it up with an English teacher. They love this shit. =p Especially if she's saying "semi-colons have no place in modern writing." That's just gold.

Quacker Jack

Quacker Jack Avatar

ProNation

December 2007
Aaron Avatar
Josh Avatar
And as for her slender grasp on grammar, take it up with an English teacher. They love this shit. =p Especially if she's saying "semi-colons have no place in modern writing." That's just gold.

But word to the wise on that, don't do it when she is in a bad mood OR if she hates you. I think I'd rather get a 93% and be liked by my English teacher then get a 99% and be hated over something like that.

At Aaron though, I can't STAND when teachers do that either. When they do that, I actually have the guts to tell them that though. However, I have had two teachers out of the 35 or so teachers in my life who are like that.

iiPod

iiPod Avatar

ProNation

October 2009
Semi colons have a place in modern English language an literature. She knows nothing. Take it to your English teacher, really, do. =P
Looking for a coder, PM me.

Josh

Josh Avatar

Legendary Studio Member

May 2008
iiPod Avatar
Semi colons have a place in modern English language an literature. She knows nothing. Take it to your English teacher, really, do. =P

I don't think I am going to worry about it. As Conor (or QJ, can't remember which), I would rather have her on my good side for the two remaining projects. If someone who got a lower grade wants to complain, they can. I'm fine with a 95% which is actually better than I thought I would get.

iiPod

iiPod Avatar

ProNation

October 2009
Josh Avatar
iiPod Avatar

I don't think I am going to worry about it. As Conor (or QJ, can't remember which), I would rather have her on my good side for the two remaining projects. If someone who got a lower grade wants to complain, they can. I'm fine with a 95% which is actually better than I thought I would get.

I guess, anyway, 95% isn't exactly a bad grade is it? :P
Looking for a coder, PM me.

Hotshot

Hotshot Avatar

Legendary Studio Member

June 2008
Josh Avatar
iiPod Avatar

Yeah if you do press the issue on your last two projects she might decide to be a real bitch.. Plus its still an A so its not necessarily killing your grade.

newBookmarkLockedFalling