Please login or register. Welcome to the Studio, guest!

Quick Links:

newBookmarkLockedFalling

Eric

Eric Avatar

November 2005
So, as a recent hobby (semi-on-off for the past year, but more serious now) I've begun playing the piano. Recently I purchased a keyboard which has a spot for a USB cable. Although this connection can be used for many things, I found this program:

www.synthesiagame.com/default.aspx

Which is, as I call it (and apparently before legal issues, was called) Piano Hero. The way the notes come down makes it hard not to associate it with guitar hero and associated games.

The program operates on MIDI files, which happen to be fairly easy to find for many songs these days. That makes this program awesome. Of course it's also loaded with plenty of default songs, especially video game favorites like mario bros and zelda.

It can also be used to see just how epicly hard a song is to play. For instance:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=oy5SX_4BT3Y&feature=related

Neat program spread. Mission accomplished.

Lucifer

Lucifer Avatar

Mythical Studio Member

Eunuch

August 2005
Wow. I want that. Nice find. Thanks for sharing. I'm definitely gonna play around with this.

Also, this.

I realize that song is overrated, but it's amazing to see what the piano work looks like.

Last Edit: Nov 12, 2009 7:18:11 GMT by Lucifer

newfieldgrafix
Oh no, who'd have thought of combining a MIDI sequence with, well; nothing..?

It teaches you nothing other than to wait for lines. I'm not impressed...

I'll give a buck to anyone who can play that music in the video EXACTLY as shown...

On the fun side of things, it's fricken' awesome!

Last Edit: Nov 12, 2009 13:11:27 GMT by newfieldgrafix

Eric

Eric Avatar

November 2005
newfieldgrafix Avatar
Nov 12, 2009 13:08:15 GMT @newfieldgrafix said:
Oh no, who'd have thought of combining a MIDI sequence with, well; nothing..?

It teaches you nothing other than to wait for lines. I'm not impressed...

I'll give a buck to anyone who can play that music in the video EXACTLY as shown...

On the fun side of things, it's fricken' awesome!
I've managed to two songs which I no longer need piano hero to play, it teaches you a lot more than waiting for lines. Especially for someone like me who can't read music at a fast pace and has to sit there and break it down. In the "learning mode" it waits for you to press the key before continuing, so you're able to build the muscle memory as well as regular memory of playing the song.

BTW, it's a MIDI sequence combined with a visual form that's easy for piano newbies to understand. lol,

Aryna

Aryna Avatar

August 2009
I want this! Except, unfortunatley, I don't think my keyboard would work with it. Maybe my mom would get me a new keyboard (one that would work with it) for christmas so I could have it.... It would certainly make teaching myself piano a lot easier, especially considering the fact that I've kind of been stuck in a rut since I want to be able to play songs that I can't yet, because I don't know how, well, I could figure them out, but it would take me forever and I'd make a lot of mistakes. >_<

newfieldgrafix
Eric Avatar
I've managed to two songs which I no longer need piano hero to play, it teaches you a lot more than waiting for lines. Especially for someone like me who can't read music at a fast pace and has to sit there and break it down. In the "learning mode" it waits for you to press the key before continuing, so you're able to build the muscle memory as well as regular memory of playing the song.

BTW, it's a MIDI sequence combined with a visual form that's easy for piano newbies to understand. lol,

It's pretty much the same as an MIDI software I've used, with relation to the bars, etc.

That's (as I'm sure you can see) a MIDI sequence. They're visually comparable.

While playing from memory is great, you can only remember so much, and you forget bits. But with music, you always have it without having to re-remember a song. Tempo is another thing you never get from MIDI. Although you can approximate it, it's never really perfect.

If you're planning on taking classes, scrap the MIDI thing, you'll get into bad habbits...
..We all know a guy that [thinks he] can play the guitar after a certain (unnamed) game...

Let me know how you get on!

Aryna Avatar
I want this! Except, unfortunatley, I don't think my keyboard would work with it. Maybe my mom would get me a new keyboard (one that would work with it) for christmas so I could have it.... It would certainly make teaching myself piano a lot easier, especially considering the fact that I've kind of been stuck in a rut since I want to be able to play songs that I can't yet, because I don't know how, well, I could figure them out, but it would take me forever and I'd make a lot of mistakes. >_<

If your keyboard had MIDI i/o, (really old (typing) keyboard sockets (DIN)), you should be able to pick up a MIDI-USB[1] adaptor. Or get yourself a MIDI card for you PC[2].

[1] - Google shopping results for "MIDI - USB"
[2] - Google shopping results for "MIDI PCI" (you probably wouldn't need one of these anyway)

Hope it helps.

Last Edit: Nov 12, 2009 18:51:44 GMT by newfieldgrafix

Eric

Eric Avatar

November 2005
newfieldgrafix Avatar
Nov 12, 2009 18:43:13 GMT @newfieldgrafix said:
Eric Avatar

It's pretty much the same as an MIDI software I've used, with relation to the bars, etc.

s628.photobucket.com/albums/uu9/ZellDenver/Scraps/MIDI.jpg

That's (as I'm sure you can see) a MIDI sequence. They're visually comparable.

While playing from memory is great, you can only remember so much, and you forget bits. But with music, you always have it without having to re-remember a song. Tempo is another thing you never get from MIDI. Although you can approximate it, it's never really perfect.

If you're planning on taking classes, scrap the MIDI thing, you'll get into bad habbits...
..We all know a guy that [thinks he] can play the guitar after a certain (unnamed) game...

Let me know how you get on!
Yes, they are similar and it probably isn't all that hard of a program to make, but it certainly made it easy for me to figure out the keys and play along. I think even the program that you showed would take me some time to rotate the image and get my fingers where they need to be.

Although at some point in time I would love to take some lessons, my schedule right now is all over the place, so I can't really fit them in.

What kinds of bad habits will I develop? I definitely still want to be learning new songs and playing the piano before I'll be able to take lessons.

newfieldgrafix
Yeah, I'm totally forgetting you're new to this (?) sorry dude. You still have to get a feel for the keys?

When you get some free time, let me know if I can help you in any way.

As for the bad habits, it's mainly finger placement. Piano Hero doesn't tell you which finger to use and where, but here's a tip (right hand):

Use your right thumb on middle C, then your index finger on D, middle on E, tuck your thumb under both for F, then use each finger to carry on up until you get to your pinky, which will be the upper C.

It's not much but hopefully it will help. Once youget the hang on that, do it without looking and eventually, you sould be able to watch the screen and have the keys completely covered.

On a lighter note, sorry for essay-trollin' you thread dude

Last Edit: Nov 12, 2009 21:01:50 GMT by newfieldgrafix

Eric

Eric Avatar

November 2005
newfieldgrafix Avatar
Nov 12, 2009 21:00:41 GMT @newfieldgrafix said:
Yeah, I'm totally forgetting you're new to this (?) sorry dude. You still have to get a feel for the keys?

When you get some free time, let me know if I can help you in any way.

As for the bad habits, it's mainly finger placement. Piano Hero doesn't tell you which finger to use and where, but here's a tip (right hand):

Use your right thumb on middle C, then your index finger on D, middle on E, tuck your thumb under both for F, then use each finger to carry on up until you get to your pinky, which will be the upper C.

It's not much but hopefully it will help. Once youget the hang on that, do it without looking and eventually, you sould be able to watch the screen and have the keys completely covered.

On a lighter note, sorry for essay-trollin' you thread dude

Yeah, I'd say I'm new. Mostly before I just dinked around on the piano without really getting too into it.

That's the scale exercise, right?

No problem about the essays, sometimes it takes a fair amount to convey a message.

newfieldgrafix
Yeah, the dreaded scale... The green scale (penatonic blues) is better.

Those keys in any order sound awesome. Just remember; run in eights...

I created a MIDI just for you...

ia341308.us.archive.org/3/items/GreenscaleDemo/GreenScale.MID

Have fun with the green scale, start simple, then impovize around the melody like I tried (didn't have too much time).

Last Edit: Nov 12, 2009 22:46:01 GMT by newfieldgrafix

newBookmarkLockedFalling