Please login or register. Welcome to the Studio, guest!

Quick Links:

newBookmarkLockedFalling

Eric

Eric Avatar

November 2005
So tonight I had a nice looking "high-school kid" come to my door asking me to buy magazine subscriptions to send him to college or something like that. I knew at the time that it was probably a scam, but I'm a fairly nice person and I have a program with my bank where I can stop checks for free.

So I signed up for men's fitness, let the kid leave and went in and google searched the company I made the check out to. Sure enough, the whole company is a scam. You never get magazines or anything.

So I went to my online banking, stopped the check and I'm fine. However, I can't believe how bad some people have gotten. To seriously scam people (and not just people, but nice caring people) is so incredibly fucked up.

Anyways, the company is FTFT and apparently they do this across the US. Even though most banks allow stopping of checks, you get charged like $20 for each one unless you pay for the account protection program. So be careful people!

Last Edit: Nov 15, 2009 2:38:46 GMT by Eric

newfieldgrafix
Yeah I know what you mean. A simple jump lead from a car battery stops my nuisance callers*. That and a 40" Daito hung on my wall**.
It's against my religion to have people selling stuff at my door***.

* For God's sake that was a joke
** And just so you know, so was that.
*** Well, yeah, that one's fine to say, I'll go ahead and add that one to my doctrine.

OK, I'll be serious. I get assholes at my door all the time: "Would you like to..." "Can I interest you..." "We have a warrant...". The biggest scammers in the UK wear uniforms and work for some company to do with some license and have the initials; TV etc (yeah, them)...

You know what I really don't know where I'm going with this, so to summarize, just slam the door - I do.

Scorpian

Scorpian Avatar

[ Bracket Admin ]

April 2006
Luckily, most of them are painfully obvious to people who just pay attention. I once had somebody offer me a "very nice" surround sound system for an "amazing" price. His story: his company ordered too many and couldn't afford to store them all, so he bought them dirt cheap and had been going around offering everybody really good deals. He told me that he could give me one if I could just give him a couple hundred dollars. He suggested just going to an atm and seeing how much I could give him.

Obvious scam is obvious? Well, saying as how the MSRP sticker on the boxes was for ~$1,200 for a 5.1 set, I'm going to say yes. 5.1 systems do NOT cost that much any more. I'd also never heard of the brand. Even without that knowledge, though, it's so obvious that I have to wonder how people can manage to fall for it.

On a side note, I used to go around selling magazine subscriptions for my high school orchestra. That one was a legit service. This is why scams like the one you encountered can be so effective. There are actual, working services out there that operate exactly as they do.
wat

newfieldgrafix
But it's determining wich are genuine and which aren't. Unfortunatly, the it's the legit organizations that suffer.

newBookmarkLockedFalling