Please login or register. Welcome to the Studio, guest!

Quick Links:

newBookmarkLockedFalling

Lucifer

Lucifer Avatar

Mythical Studio Member

Eunuch

August 2005
xmsteel Avatar
Jim Avatar

Fuck Bose. They make great boxes, but they have shitty drivers. I don't hold much higher of hopes for their headphones either.

You can't get better than bose for home theater surround sound.

I tested bose, sony, and philips. I love philips, but bose pwned them. I hate sony, but bose still pwned them.

That's because it's Sony and Phillips. Sony especially. Sony is really good and making good products in every category. It's one of those brands where you can't go wrong, no matter how technology stupid you are. But they'll never be the best, especially if you're matching them up against a company that is based solely around a single product (like BOSE is around speakers).

Like Josh said, he has some nice Yamaha's. I haven't heard his system, but Yamaha tends to be a surprisingly big contender in the audio market, both in terms of speaker and gear.

And like Josh said, Sennheiser's basically kick ass. I'm waiting for the day when I can afford these.

Also, what makes BOSE so good, in my experience, tends to be the clarity. They make crystal clear sounding speakers, and their speakers are very durable and tend to last longer than most. However, frequency response and the overall sound (for music) isn't as good. They don't have those soaring highs and bassy lows. They're great for surround sound because movies are all mid-range with a bit of bass for rumble. When it comes to music, you'd be crazy to go with BOSE beyond any sort of general home listening. If you're actually serious about it, move on. Their 301's are great, but even those are only good for Average Joe's "home theater" or whatever. If you're getting any sort of advanced setup, doing live sound, or otherwise setting up speakers for non-surround sound use, forget BOSE.

Jim

Jim Avatar
Josh was here.

Studio Member

September 2005
Lucifer Avatar
Josh Avatar

Bose is expensive shit. Really. Their quality is no better than cheaper makers. If you are going to go for premium sound, you MUST go with Sennheiser. Absolute best.

I kinda have to agree, but you can't say BOSE is shit. They're just overrated and overly expensive. But you can't deny that they are one of the best in terms of quality (even if their prices are disproportionate).

No no, they're shit. They have absolutely amazing sound engineers and make some of the best enclosures ever, but they put small, unpowered, shitty quality drivers inside so it kind of makes that worthless.

xmsteel Avatar

I tested bose, sony, and philips. I love philips, but bose pwned them. I hate sony, but bose still pwned them.

Klipsch, Infinity, Yamaha, Polk Audio... I'd take any of those way before I'd ever take Bose. Of the three you listed, you're right, Bose is the best out of those. But when playing with the real companies, they fall short.

Last Edit: Nov 20, 2009 8:16:35 GMT by Jim

Jim

Jim Avatar
Josh was here.

Studio Member

September 2005
xmsteel Avatar
Jim Avatar

No no, they're shit. They have absolutely amazing sound engineers and make some of the best enclosures ever, but they put small, unpowered, shitty quality drivers inside so it kind of makes that worthless.

Klipsch, Infinity, Yamaha, Polk Audio... I'd take any of those way before I'd ever take Bose. Of the three you listed, you're right, Bose is the best out of those. But when playing with the real companies, they fall short.

Sorry, but infinity isnt as good as bose either. Sure, they are very good, but not as good as bose.

I think you need to spend some more time doing research mate. This is not only what I've had first hand, but also third hand from several friends that have setups from the listed companies, Bose included. Not only that, but I also get to deal with commercial grade speakers for a theater we have, and a bit with what they use for concerts, dances and the like.

Lucifer

Lucifer Avatar

Mythical Studio Member

Eunuch

August 2005
Jim Avatar
Lucifer Avatar

I kinda have to agree, but you can't say BOSE is shit. They're just overrated and overly expensive. But you can't deny that they are one of the best in terms of quality (even if their prices are disproportionate).

xmsteel Avatar

Underpowered? Perhaps. Shitty quality? I think not. Maybe physically, but sonically, BOSE sound very clear. But I would totally take Polk over BOSE any day.

Also, I'd like to point out that you can't just say "I've heard Sony speakers and BOSE speakers and BOSE are better." What model? What year? What...everything? You can't just compare two random speakers from two companies and make definitive judgments. Like James said, you've gotta do your research on these companies (as well as get some more first-hand experience). You're simply ignorant.

Jim

Jim Avatar
Josh was here.

Studio Member

September 2005
Lucifer Avatar
Underpowered? Perhaps. Shitty quality? I think not. Maybe physically, but sonically, BOSE sound very clear. But I would totally take Polk over BOSE any day.

Shitty compared to the other companies. I mean, miles ahead of Sony and Pioneer.

Bose are good for mids and highs, but they have no bass.

xmsteel Avatar
Chrystler include infinity systems in every car they make. Hummer includes bose (which ive never had a hummer). Using stores (such as best buy and target) I found bose is a lot better for home theaters than infinity.

You can't rely on their setups. They set these up so generically to get an average setting to work with all of the speaker setups they have. You need to really fine tune the amp settings, get the delays, EQs, crossovers, and what not. There's a lot that goes into it. Each setup requires different settings to make them sound their best.

Save money up, get some second-hand speakers and receiver, play with these setting and fine tune it. From there, once you have an ear for it, go play with the setups you have access to at the stores.

Last Edit: Nov 22, 2009 4:48:32 GMT by Jim

Lucifer

Lucifer Avatar

Mythical Studio Member

Eunuch

August 2005
Jim Avatar
Lucifer Avatar

Shitty compared to the other companies. I mean, miles ahead of Sony and Pioneer.

I s'pose I haven't had a whole lot of experience with a lot of high-end companies besides BOSE, but they are up there as one of the best. They just happen to be the most overrated (undeservingly so).

Bose are good for mids and highs, but they have no bass.

I mentioned something like that earlier, so I totally agree.

xmsteel Avatar
Chrystler include infinity systems in every car they make. Hummer includes bose (which ive never had a hummer). Using stores (such as best buy and target) I found bose is a lot better for home theaters than infinity.

You can't rely on their setups. They set these up so generically to get an average setting to work with all of the speaker setups they have. You need to really fine tune the amp settings, get the delays, EQs, crossovers, and what not. There's a lot that goes into it. Each setup requires different settings to make them sound their best.

Save money up, get some second-hand speakers and receiver, play with these setting and fine tune it. From there, once you have an ear for it, go play with the setups you have access to at the stores.

Best advice you could give, honestly. I've learned a LOT about speakers just by getting my own setup. I built my own cabinets and installed the speakers myself and whatnot, and just by doing that and playing around with my EQ and different music, I not only learned a lot about simply controlling a setup like that and sharpening my ear, but I also even learned a lot about the design of a speaker by noticing all the flaws in mine. It's just a testament to how much you can learn just by playing around with stuff and getting first-hand experience. You can't just hear a few speakers and listen to hearsay/propaganda to make your decisions. With audio, it's all about the hands-on experience.

Kay

Kay Avatar
if I'm not here, I'm probably working.

Ghost Admin

August 2005
Dude. You guys turned my thread into a talk about speakers. Yawn. gtfo. :)

Josh

Josh Avatar
Where were you when Reach fell?

Legendary Studio Member

May 2008
Kay Avatar
Dude. You guys turned my thread into a talk about speakers. Yawn. gtfo. :)

Speakers > Weird noises. You need to understand that you're on a forum with a bunch of techy/geeky guys. We like our speakers. :P

Kay

Kay Avatar
if I'm not here, I'm probably working.

Ghost Admin

August 2005
Yeah, well I was here before you three, so no high jacking my thread. Meany. (well, luci beats me only be a few hours).

Jim

Jim Avatar
Josh was here.

Studio Member

September 2005
Lucifer Avatar
I s'pose I haven't had a whole lot of experience with a lot of high-end companies besides BOSE, but they are up there as one of the best. They just happen to be the most overrated (undeservingly so).

I've never had a chance to hear their car audio setups, I'd like to give them a shot, along with Harmon Kardon. Heard great things, just never been able use 'em. I currently have Infinity speakers in my car, but my deck (flip-out dvd player) doesn't really send enough power to them, heh. I'd like to get a 4-channel amp to drive them. And I'd like to get an external equalizer, since they stupid three-band EQ that the deck has isn't cutting it. Coupled to two 12" subs, I need more power from my speakers to keep up with my subs :P.

Lucifer

Lucifer Avatar

Mythical Studio Member

Eunuch

August 2005
Jim Avatar
Lucifer Avatar

I've never had a chance to hear their car audio setups, I'd like to give them a shot, along with Harmon Kardon. Heard great things, just never been able use 'em. I currently have Infinity speakers in my car, but my deck (flip-out dvd player) doesn't really send enough power to them, heh. I'd like to get a 4-channel amp to drive them. And I'd like to get an external equalizer, since they stupid three-band EQ that the deck has isn't cutting it. Coupled to two 12" subs, I need more power from my speakers to keep up with my subs :P.

Three band EQ? That's not even an EQ. :P BOSE has nice car speakers...except somehow mine got blown. I figure it's due to age more than actual stress, though, because they're BOSE and I'm not stupid enough to actually blow my speakers.

Also, I'd really like to check out some Hardmon/Kardon speakers myself. I hear they're pretty shnazzy.

Jim

Jim Avatar
Josh was here.

Studio Member

September 2005
Lucifer Avatar
Jim Avatar

Three band EQ? That's not even an EQ. :P BOSE has nice car speakers...except somehow mine got blown. I figure it's due to age more than actual stress, though, because they're BOSE and I'm not stupid enough to actually blow my speakers.

Also, I'd really like to check out some Hardmon/Kardon speakers myself. I hear they're pretty shnazzy.

I know, it sucks. That said though, I do love my Infinity's. Even better that they were buy one get one free :P.

newBookmarkLockedFalling