Please login or register. Welcome to the Studio, guest!

Quick Links:

newBookmarkLockedFalling

Quacker Jack

Quacker Jack Avatar

ProNation

December 2007
Uh oh,

I am going to be upgrading to Windows 7 (hey, I got vista, so it is worth it, and Staples gave me a $30 when I talked to someone and this was for the 3-pack), but I have one tiny problem. I need to get some virus protection going. Mainly Antivirus and Antispam stuff is what matters.

I plan on getting Windows 7 up and running this Thanksgiving day, but before that, my Dad asked me to look up some good virus protections and let us know. So, seeming I got better things to do, and since people hear are tech guys, I'm sure you guys know the good stuff.

Any recommendations that would be good? I'd prefer if you knew if they have like a free 30 or so day trial, since that is what I'd do. (Oh, FYI, my dad doesn't trust free of Norton for some reason) :P

Thanks. :P

Last Edit: Nov 20, 2009 4:01:03 GMT by Quacker Jack

Josh

Josh Avatar
Where were you when Reach fell?

Legendary Studio Member

May 2008
Microsoft Security Essentials. It's getting rave reviews and picked up 5 trojans that both Malware Bytes and AVG Premium missed when I ran it a few days ago on the family PC.

Oh, and did I mention it is free?

(You won't see me loving a Microsoft product often, so you know I am impressed with this one. :P)

Kay

Kay Avatar
if I'm not here, I'm probably working.

Ghost Admin

August 2005
Windows Defender. Dunno, I've had it for a long time (over a year), and it's always caught everything.

Josh

Josh Avatar

Legendary Studio Member

May 2008
Kay Avatar
Windows Defender. Dunno, I've had it for a long time (over a year), and it's always caught everything.

Windows Defender has been discontinued and replaced by Security Essentials. Go upgrade. :P

Kay

Kay Avatar

Ghost Admin

August 2005
No! I dun want to upgrade yet. >_>

Kay

Kay Avatar

Ghost Admin

August 2005
xmsteel Avatar
Kay Avatar

Windows defender is about as useless as norton.

Wow. Um, if you believe that, you are fucking stupid. And I don't care if you want to claim I'm causing an argument. Because that's fact.

Lucifer

Lucifer Avatar

Mythical Studio Member

Eunuch

August 2005
Okay, I think we can all agree that Norton sucks and should be scrapped.

Personally, despite the warnings against doing so, I run multiple virus protections. I run Avast, AVG, Avira, and Ad-Aware (if it starts with an 'a', it's probably good).

If you wanna keep it simple and have the best protection, I'd say go for Avira and Ad-Aware. Avira has kept me safer than AVG and Avast have and Ad-Aware is the best at finding all the crap malware (spyware, adware, and that junk). AVG has done jackshit to actually protect me, but I have it in case. Before using Avira, I was running Avast on my old computer. It's a great alternative. It missed a few trojans, but after running a scan in safe mode, it found 'em and got rid of them for me. It usually finds everything in scans, but Avira has been the best for live protection (not that Avast isn't good, but Avira catches it first).

So yeah, my recommendation is Avira and Ad-Aware. If you don't want Avira, go for Avast. And AVG is okay. I wouldn't recommend it, but it gets good reviews.

Lucifer

Lucifer Avatar

Mythical Studio Member

Eunuch

August 2005
I just wouldn't run NOD32. I know nothing about it. I've never heard it recommended once.

Quinine

Quinine Avatar
[5]

Senior Studio Member

May 2007
Lucifer Avatar

Unless that is sarcasm, I disagree.

Norton has picked up many viruses that my previous AV programs haven't. It is efficient and user-friendly and tech support on the Symantec website is well-managed. They have listed hundreds of viruses and their removal.

I think that Norton is definitely the way to go. If you want to go free, however, go for Malwarebytes.

Josh

Josh Avatar

Legendary Studio Member

May 2008
Quinine Avatar
Lucifer Avatar

Norton has picked up many viruses that my previous AV programs haven't. It is efficient and user-friendly and tech support on the Symantec website is well-managed. They have listed hundreds of viruses and their removal.

I think that Norton is definitely the way to go. If you want to go free, however, go for Malwarebytes.

As I said earlier, Security Essentials found 5 trojans that Malwarebytes did not, including the other problems that Malwarebytes had found. :P Go with MSE. :P

Quinine

Quinine Avatar
[5]

Senior Studio Member

May 2007
oh shit yeah, I forgot >.<

definitely go with MSE, they're the best free solution. seriously.

Lucifer

Lucifer Avatar

Mythical Studio Member

Eunuch

August 2005
Quinine Avatar
Lucifer Avatar

Norton has never worked for me. It'll find all sorts of crap and then not be able to remove it. It's like it just wants to taunt me. "Hey look, this shit is fucking up your computer! Too bad..." I've never been able to remove any serious infection with it. Avast and Avira have done wonders, however.

Also, Spybot isn't bad. I haven't used it in years, but it's free and another program worth checking out. It's like Ad-Aware in that it mostly removes spyware/adware stuff and not viruses, trojans, and whatnot.

Lucifer

Lucifer Avatar

Mythical Studio Member

Eunuch

August 2005
xmsteel Avatar
Lucifer Avatar
I just wouldn't run NOD32. I know nothing about it. I've never heard it recommended once.

Eset NOD32 is definantly my favorite. It has excellent ratings. It's good you havent heard much about it, because that means it is less likely a hacker would know how to bypass it (like norton/kaspersky/mcafee)

www.eset.com/company/awards.php

Also, here is a map of the best antiviruses:

If a hacker wanted to bypass it, they would. That's what hacking is about. And honestly, if I was a hacker and not just an average internet guy, I'm sure I'd know all about it. I mean, I have heard OF it, just nothing about it.

newfieldgrafix
AVG's pretty high, I never realized.

Jim

Jim Avatar
Josh was here.

Studio Member

September 2005
Norton doesn't suck, it actually does it's job extremely well. The problem is, it's very resource hungry and therefore not worth the money.

Best free anti-virus I've used to date is Avira. For anything more, Ad-Aware and Spybot Search and Destroy will find just about anything out there. It certainly is a wise idea to use whatever Microsoft has out now to replace Windows Defender, it's also quite solid.

..and looking at that chart, it backs up what I say about Avira, it beat out pretty much everything.

newBookmarkLockedFalling