Please login or register. Welcome to the Studio, guest!

Quick Links:

newBookmarkLockedFalling

Quacker Jack

Quacker Jack Avatar

ProNation

December 2007
If you read my Toshiba thread, you'd know I just upgraded to Windows 7 and have been exploring it, to find my Graphic/Video card is bust and needs help. Well, after getting help and seeing the real side of 7, I gotta admit, I am damn impressed. And THAT is hard to do.

First off, the taskbar is simply amazing. It doesn't get cluttered easily, the little area thing on the right is tiny now, and the Aero Peek looks awesome. And I timed this with my Vista. It took my vista 4 minutes to load and 2 minutes to start to use. 6 minutes total for Vista. Then, when I come on 7, it takes 2 minutes to load and 20 seconds to start to use. Considering I did a clean update and all, that's pretty good. Point is Windows 7 seems fast.

And the customizable options, to the libraries, it is simply amazing. Well worth the money. So hey Chris, Xuzi, Kay, get out of Vista. 7 is so much better. I did, and I have no regrets.

Thoughts on 7 anyone?

Josh

Josh Avatar
Where were you when Reach fell?

Legendary Studio Member

May 2008
I was dual booting with 7 and Leopard this summer. I really liked 7. It has its quirks (Still prefer the OS X menubar being in one location at all times, compared to the Windows method), but it really is a good OS. 7 times better than Vista, I would say. REally enjoyed the new taskbar, as well. And the subtle improvements to Aero.

Absolutely hated Aero Snap, though. I like being able to drag things partially off screen and Snap completely messed up my work flow.

Quacker Jack

Quacker Jack Avatar

ProNation

December 2007
Josh Avatar
Absolutely hated Aero Snap, though. I like being able to drag things partially off screen and Snap completely messed up my work flow.

www.winhelponline.com/blog/enable-and-disable-aero-snap-docking-windows-7/

Josh

Josh Avatar

Legendary Studio Member

May 2008
Quacker Jack Avatar
Josh Avatar

www.winhelponline.com/blog/enable-and-disable-aero-snap-docking-windows-7/

I know it can be disabled. I was just remarking on one of the new features of Windows 7. :P

iiPod

iiPod Avatar

ProNation

October 2009
Hmmm, I wonder which company they got the little taskbar from, any guesses? In Windows 7, they tried to emulate a Mac, without making it too obvious. They still failed... Just to prove my point, here's a photo from a Microsoft ran/sponsered conference. (<3 iD!)

One, two, three, four, five, six....

D'awww, poor people with PCs...

"You can take my life, but you can never take me MacBook!"

Bow down to the supreme MacBook Overload. Stop staring and bow down... >__<

:P

Last Edit: Nov 29, 2009 7:36:01 GMT by iiPod
Looking for a coder, PM me.

Arucard

Arucard Avatar
I am the shadow, and the smoke in your eyes, I am the ghost, that hides in the night

Legendary Studio Member

September 2006
i really want to try windows 7 heard a lot of good things about i'm not sure if upgrading my desktop is worth it.

Josh

Josh Avatar

Legendary Studio Member

May 2008
iiPod Avatar
Hmmm, I wonder which company they got the little taskbar from, any guesses? In Windows 7, they tried to emulate a Mac, without making it too obvious. They still failed... Just to prove my point, here's a photo from a Microsoft ran/sponsered conference. (<3 iD!)

I'm just going to assume you haven't actually used the new taskbar, or any of Windows 7, really. If you had, you wouldn't have posted this. =\

And, guess what, as with almost all OS features, the modern dock in OS X was used in Linux first, and Apple copied it.

(I'm an Apple fanboy, but I hate it when people seemingly blindly follow them)

iiPod

iiPod Avatar

ProNation

October 2009
Josh Avatar
iiPod Avatar

I'm just going to assume you haven't actually used the new taskbar, or any of Windows 7, really. If you had, you wouldn't have posted this. =\

And, guess what, as with almost all OS features, the modern dock in OS X was used in Linux first, and Apple copied it.

I know it was originally Linux's but Apple did utilise the idea with more effectiveness. And I actually have used the new taskbar. :P Any I just feel like it's taking Apple's version of Linux's idea of a dock, and makes it bad.

Kay

Kay Avatar
if I'm not here, I'm probably working.

Ghost Admin

August 2005
I'll only upgrade when my brother gets me a free copy. Otherwise, I'm content with Vista.

Josh

Josh Avatar

Legendary Studio Member

May 2008
iiPod Avatar
Josh Avatar

I know it was originally Linux's but Apple did utilise the idea with more effectiveness. And I actually have used the new taskbar. :P Any I just feel like it's taking Apple's version of Linux's idea of a dock, and makes it bad.

Have you used it?

iiPod

iiPod Avatar

ProNation

October 2009
Josh Avatar
iiPod Avatar

Have you used it?

Yes. :P

Josh

Josh Avatar

Legendary Studio Member

May 2008

It really doesn't behave like the OS X dock, at all. The only thing you can really claim it copied was its use of icons only, as opposed to the usual labels found in Windows taskbars. And the window management system is still inherently different from that used by OS X. I fail to see how they copied it at all. =\

Jim

Jim Avatar
Josh was here.

Studio Member

September 2005
iiPod Avatar

Who..fucking..cares?

MaD IcHaBoD HaTTeR

MaD IcHaBoD HaTTeR Avatar
Why is a raven like a writing table?

Official Member

November 2009
im sorry im a windows person and never really liked mac....no right mouse click....totally f'ed up my flow..

Chris

Chris Avatar

Head Coder

June 2005
I plan to upgrade to 7 when I have time. 95% of my school work is on my laptop, so I don't really have time. :P That aside, I know it's supposed to be great. I didn't upgrade right away because I was concerned there might be some major, overlooked bugs. Less likely than Vista obviously, but it can happen. I'll probably upgrade to 7 Enterprise over winter break, since MIT gives us 7 for free. <3

newBookmarkLockedFalling