Please login or register. Welcome to the Studio, guest!

Quick Links:

newBookmarkLockedFalling

Josh

Josh Avatar
Where were you when Reach fell?

Legendary Studio Member

May 2008
Ok, so I just created a 10 minute PowerPoint presentation on Mahmoud Ahmadinejad (Great human being, by the way. >.>). I needed to rehearse it to make sure it was within the 10-15 minute time limit, so I did it in my room, alone.

Well, let's just say that it reminded me of how much I hate public speaking. I was short of breath and sweating the entire time. I was doing this in complete privacy, mind you. Can only imagine how bad it will be when I actually get around to giving the presentation on Tuesday.

Sad thing is that I took a speech class a year ago to try and get rid of this problem. Passed with a B+. It did next to nothing for me. ><

Does anyone else have problems with public speaking?

Lucifer

Lucifer Avatar

Mythical Studio Member

Eunuch

August 2005
I used to, so I joined the Speech team to get over it. Ever since then, I haven't had problems and I even began to really enjoy public speaking. I'm still not great at it (competitively), but I'm good when it comes to your average public speaking (like school presentations and whatnot).

Benjamin

Benjamin Avatar
#YOCO... You only color once.

Elite Mod

November 2006
I can't do it. No matter how large or small the audience, whether I'm speaking to friends or peers, etc, I just can't do it.

I start sweating, and i start shaking violently. The thought of it has my hand twitching.

So I use the internet to make speeches instead.
Lucifer Avatar
I'm gonna start dishing out internet beatings if people keep it up with this 4chan shit, I swear.

Eric

Eric Avatar

November 2005
I used to suck at public speeches. In fact, in terms of the shaking I was just like Ben. Would be shaking the entire time and I wasn't even able to hold a piece of paper still enough to read off of it.

I got over it in college, though. I took a public speaking class and loved it. I took all of my assignments and had fun with them. Instead of fearing looking like a fool in front of the class, I planned to look like a fool in front of the class.

My goal for every speech was to make people laugh, whether at me or with me. Of course I was given quite a bit of freedom with the subjects in the public speaking class (greatest achievement speech: being conceived), but I was able to apply the mentality to other classes and assignments. My delivery for almost every speech is like I'm telling a joke to a small group of friends, then I just amplify my voice.

I can't really think of any advice besides try to have fun with it, don't just try to get through it.

Lucifer

Lucifer Avatar

Mythical Studio Member

Eunuch

August 2005
For someone who is loud and outspoken like myself, public speaking is my chance to be like that without seeming like a douche. I get to go up and talk about something, be loud and confident, all that stuff. So like Eric says, find something to enjoy in it and embrace it. Not only will you have a bit of fun, but you won't be stressing about trying to get over with it.

Josh

Josh Avatar
Where were you when Reach fell?

Legendary Studio Member

May 2008
Two problems with that:
1) I'm not loud. In fact, I am incredibly quiet. I only talk if I absolutely have to and would rather not talk at all. Most people think I'm shy, I just don't like talking. Which I guess makes me shy. Whatever.
2) There is absolutely no way to make a presentation about Mahmoud Ahmadenijad fun. Seriously. The man claims the Holocaust is a myth. He wishes to wipe Israel off the map. Oppressing his people. Rigging elections. And he is possibly developing nuclear weapons. How the hell do you make a presentation about one of the worst people I have ever researched fun? ><

Lucifer

Lucifer Avatar

Mythical Studio Member

Eunuch

August 2005
Find humor in it. The fact that he's such a whack job is fairly humorous. Not saying your speech should be funny, but learn to enjoy the sheer absurdity of this man during your speech. No one is gonna disagree with your opinion of him, so don't act like you have to convince anyone of anything. You can feel confident knowing that when you start talking, people already agree. Just give them a reason to listen. Connect with them.

Moose

Moose Avatar

August 2005
I have no problem speaking in front of people. I actually have a harder time in small groups because there is no guarantee the people will focus on you, and you may have to interact with complete strangers. Speaking in front of a large group of strangers is fine for me, but small groups, no way!
Greg says:
Coding music...
Greg says:
Hmm...
Greg says:
I wouldn't rule it out. :P
Chris 3.0 [New features? Yes.] says:
:P
Greg says:
If you think about machine code it's a bunch of 1s and 0s
Anything is possible.
Greg says:
Yeah try to code Metallica
:P Yeah, I'll get right on that... right after I learn to fly.

newBookmarkLockedFalling