Please login or register. Welcome to the Studio, guest!

Quick Links:

newBookmarkLockedFalling

Conor

Conor Avatar

ProNation

July 2007
text is difficult to read, and the dark blue on black doesn't work very well. It's a start though. try modeling it more off of a real one, with minor changes.

Quinine

Quinine Avatar
[5]

Senior Studio Member

May 2007
Make the wheel white
Make the text grey, smaller, and a more appropriate font

Josh

Josh Avatar
Where were you when Reach fell?

Legendary Studio Member

May 2008
Never, EVER use the Bevel and Emboss style in Photoshop. The effect is pretty much never desireable and just looks amateurish. If you want something to look raised up or sunken in, do it using gradients and the like.

Benjamin

Benjamin Avatar
#YOCO... You only color once.

Elite Mod

November 2006
Josh Avatar
Never, EVER use the Bevel and Emboss style in Photoshop. The effect is pretty much never desireable and just looks amateurish. If you want something to look raised up or sunken in, do it using gradients and the like.

I use it sometimes. It can look decent depending on how you use it.
Lucifer Avatar
I'm gonna start dishing out internet beatings if people keep it up with this 4chan shit, I swear.

Josh

Josh Avatar

Legendary Studio Member

May 2008
Benjamin Avatar
Josh Avatar

I use it sometimes. It can look decent depending on how you use it.

I've never seen it used well, to be honest. And when it has been used effectively, it would still have been better to use gradients and do it by hand.

Josh

Josh Avatar

Legendary Studio Member

May 2008

Gradient. A smooth transition from one variable to another, in this case from one color to another.

Gradients really are one of the most powerful tools in Photoshop once you learn how to use them.

Benjamin

Benjamin Avatar

Elite Mod

November 2006
xmsteel Avatar
I've been to embarrassed to ask.. :-[

Well stop, because if you don't ask, you'll never learn!
Lucifer Avatar
I'm gonna start dishing out internet beatings if people keep it up with this 4chan shit, I swear.

newfieldgrafix
Benjamin Avatar
xmsteel Avatar
I've been to embarrassed to ask.. :-[

Well stop, because if you don't ask, you'll never learn!

That's why most of us are here, to ask for help and learn new things. Together, through community, we can become better and help others. Only then, are you a designer - Only then, will you improve...

Benjamin

Benjamin Avatar

Elite Mod

November 2006
There's two ways pretty good ways to keep that from happening

1. Use the selection tools to create a selection, then fill the gradient. It will only be filled in the selection

2. Right click the layer and click "Blending Options." Check the gradient box and then fill in your colors, etc. It will fill the entire layer, no more, no less.
Lucifer Avatar

Josh

Josh Avatar

Legendary Studio Member

May 2008
xmsteel Avatar
Benjamin Avatar
There's two ways pretty good ways to keep that from happening

1. Use the selection tools to create a selection, then fill the gradient. It will only be filled in the selection

2. Right click the layer and click "Blending Options." Check the gradient box and then fill in your colors, etc. It will fill the entire layer, no more, no less.

So it's always black to white? :-/

No... you can add a thousand different colors to your gradient if you want...

Personally, though, I rarely ever use a gradient that isn't white to black, white to transparent, or black to transparent. But that's just me.

newfieldgrafix
I use tons of different gradients, for all sorts of things.

iiPod

iiPod Avatar

ProNation

October 2009
Yeah, this is not at all accurate, but everybody has covered it. :P
Looking for a coder, PM me.

MaD IcHaBoD HaTTeR

MaD IcHaBoD HaTTeR Avatar
Why is a raven like a writing table?

Official Member

November 2009
Zell denver's sig. is a very nice example of color to color gradient.

but on the topic of the wheel. very nice for your first time
:: rate 3 ::

Black and Blue are a very hard color choice to mix when not using a gradient. espically when it comes to computer colors. *imo they are much stronger then the real life counterparts.* if you want a blue to "pop" against the black add a little purple to the blue and tone up your black to a very dark grey. then see if you can blend a gradient of the font blue and the background balck and outline the font in a middle of the gradient color.

hopefully that makes sense.... :-[

newfieldgrafix
MaD IcHaBoD HaTTeR Avatar
Zell denver's sig. is a very nice example of color to color gradient.

but on the topic of the wheel. very nice for your first time

Black and Blue are a very hard color choice to mix when not using a gradient. espically when it comes to computer colors. *imo they are much stronger then the real life counterparts.* if you want a blue to "pop" against the black add a little purple to the blue and tone up your black to a very dark grey. then see if you can blend a gradient of the font blue and the background balck and outline the font in a middle of the gradient color.

hopefully that makes sense.... :-[

I changed it a few hours ago. But I assume you meant the old deep pink one?

Xuzi, if you want a few gradient pointers, I'll give you a hand catch me on Skype "zell.denver", then I can screen share with you. If I have time, I can go through a bit of Flash with you too.

newBookmarkLockedFalling