Please login or register. Welcome to the Studio, guest!

Quick Links:

newBookmarkLockedFalling

Andrew McGivery

Andrew McGivery Avatar
Formerly Fredy

Legendary Studio Member

Male

September 2005
www.mlive.com/news/muskegon/index.ssf/2009/12/personalized_michigan_license.html

Tiffany Gilmore, a black woman, was in a walmart parking lot last month when she noticed a license plate that she says "sent shiver down her spine."

She said that the licence plate included an abbreviation for a racial slur that encourages hatred toward black people. The license plate was as follows: "DYNGR".

While the owner was not identified, the plate has been recalled. It is reported that officials did not talk with the plate's owner to find out the intent of the message.

Now you have to wonder. Was the own of the plate in question really trying to promote racism, or was this just a misunderstanding?
k

Jim

Jim Avatar
Josh was here.

Studio Member

September 2005
Heyy, that's in my town. Ahaha, I'm amused.

Lucifer

Lucifer Avatar

Mythical Studio Member

Eunuch

August 2005
So uh...what exactly does "DYNGR? mean?

Andrew McGivery

Andrew McGivery Avatar
Formerly Fredy

Legendary Studio Member

Male

September 2005
sound it out slowly.
k

3:

3: Avatar
...xD

Dedicated Member

June 2006
I think it's funny that she immediately associated that with racism.. yet sad at the same time. I had to actually sit there and sound it out - and this is after I had read the first post.

Oh well. I guess I would have gotten it if I was racist toward non-black people and constantly looked for an excuse to victimize myself. Or maybe it's because I'm just a plain old Mac in a PC world.

Hah, it gets even better!
Gilmore, of Muskegon Heights, said that at the time she saw the license plate, she “went from awe to disbelief to sadness and then anger because I had my 11-year-old son with me and I had to explain it to him.”

Yes, yes! Lets continue the cycle! Never let racism die, amirite?

Last Edit: Dec 14, 2009 14:54:30 GMT by 3:

Eric

Eric Avatar

November 2005
Dynamic Graphics?
Dynamite Grades?
Do You No Gym Required?
Daily Navigator?
Dy Neighbor?

Oh, I finally get it. She must have lived next to him. Gosh, what an asshole.

Lucifer

Lucifer Avatar

Mythical Studio Member

Eunuch

August 2005
No, seriously, what the fuck is DYNGR? Die Nigger? Is that what she's implying it meant? If so, then yes, she can go die. Because that's fucking stupid.

Andrew McGivery

Andrew McGivery Avatar
Formerly Fredy

Legendary Studio Member

Male

September 2005
BINGO!
k

Tobias

Tobias Avatar

Dedicated Member

November 2006
WHAT?!?
It's obviously "Danger."
People are LOOKING for ways to be offended.

Last Edit: Dec 15, 2009 5:32:03 GMT by Tobias
#intj (Mastermind)^

Andrew McGivery

Andrew McGivery Avatar
Formerly Fredy

Legendary Studio Member

Male

September 2005
psh. its obvious "did you know grapes rule"
k

Jim

Jim Avatar
Josh was here.

Studio Member

September 2005
Allow me to say, as well, that black people, in general, from Muskegon Heights, are fucking retarded.

Josh

Josh Avatar
Where were you when Reach fell?

Legendary Studio Member

May 2008
Jim Avatar
Allow me to say, as well, that black people, in general, from Muskegon Heights, are fucking retarded.

Yeah, try living close to Detroit. >.> Not being racist or anything, there are plenty of fucking stupid white people too, but Detroit is just a hotbed for stupid people.

Kay

Kay Avatar
if I'm not here, I'm probably working.

Ghost Admin

August 2005
Okay. Let me just say one thing. If your grew up with an acronym that meant something racist and offensive, when you see it on someone's license plate, you're bound to jump to conclusions. So don't even try to convince me for one moment that you wouldn't. Granted, more investigation into the meaning of what it could have been from the owner's point of view (then again, they could have just lied), should have been done. But whatever.

And also, it was better that his mom explain it to him than to have him go to his friends asking what it meant.

Stinky666

Stinky666 Avatar

December 2009
Kay Avatar
Okay. Let me just say one thing. If your grew up with an acronym that meant something racist and offensive, when you see it on someone's license plate, you're bound to jump to conclusions. So don't even try to convince me for one moment that you wouldn't. Granted, more investigation into the meaning of what it could have been from the owner's point of view (then again, they could have just lied), should have been done. But whatever.

And also, it was better that his mom explain it to him than to have him go to his friends asking what it meant.

Good point.
I wont deny I wouldn't have, but you just don't know.
And because of that, we can laugh at this person for assuming instead of knowing.

Personally, I didn't have a clue what it could be, until Andrew said to sound it out slowly.

Eric

Eric Avatar

November 2005
Kay Avatar

NGR is not an acronym for "nigger."

And no, you are not necessarily bound to jump to conclusions. My brother's girlfriend Chelsea is black, so I asked her what would first come to mind if she saw the letters "DYNGR" on a license plate. Her first response was "I don't know." Conversation carried on to different topics and about a minute or two later Chelsea realized that it could be short for a slur. However, she didn't assume that's what it meant, just that the possibility was there. Chelsea even agreed that it was stupid for this woman to freak out, because she had no idea what the owner meant by it.

If you look for racism, then you'll find it, even where it isn't. If you aren't expecting racism from everyone, then you're less likely to jump to that conclusion.

newBookmarkLockedFalling