Please login or register. Welcome to the Studio, guest!

Quick Links:

newBookmarkLockedFalling

Josh

Josh Avatar
Where were you when Reach fell?

Legendary Studio Member

May 2008
Just went and bought my books for the semester. All in all, I paid $425 for eight books. Last semester it was $650 for 9 books, so I guess I can't really complain. But seriously, why do they cost so much? And every single one of them is used, too. Jeez.

In other news, I had to get someone to help me find my books because their labeling system sucks (three of my classes weren't listed on the shelves) and the girl looked at my schedule and saw that I was taking PHIL 2200: Intro to Logic. Yeah, she burst out laughing in the middle of the bookstore and told me good luck; apparently I am taking the most difficult class my college offers this semester. She held up the book I needed to one of her coworkers and didn't say a word and the guy said, "I had a nervous meltdown from that class two semesters ago. Good luck."

Fun stuff.

Kay

Kay Avatar
if I'm not here, I'm probably working.

Ghost Admin

August 2005
I fucking hate text books. They need to rot in hell.

Hotshot

Hotshot Avatar

Legendary Studio Member

June 2008
I don't understand why they have to make them expensive. I believe the whole education system is corrupted, but I'll spare you all my viewpoint at the moment. I can;t wait till I go to college. 1 more year after this summer.. Oh joy..

Good luck with all your classes, and the one that seems like it is going to be a living hell. ;)

Last Edit: Jan 6, 2010 20:20:50 GMT by Hotshot

Quinine

Quinine Avatar
[5]

Senior Studio Member

May 2007
I get to order mine from a website, fortunately. I think it's something like 11 books for $500. My maths textbook has over 1000 pages and is more than 5 cm thick and I have no idea how I have to get it to class each day. There's probably a training leaflet somewhere inside.

Chris

Chris Avatar

Head Coder

June 2005
I bought one textbook last semester and barely used it. :P Woot. I just borrowed people's for my other two classes that needed them. And then I just bought paperback for my reading class. Wasn't too bad.... but that one book cost me about $150 or so.

Lucifer

Lucifer Avatar

Mythical Studio Member

Eunuch

August 2005
I got a high school and a college level textbook (two books, if you were confused) from my old physics teacher for free. Yeah, you guys bitch about textbooks and I go around asking for them...for no reason. Other than for light reading. I'm a nerd.

:(

Twerque

Twerque Avatar
make my way back home when i learn to fly.

Studio Member

December 2009
Lucifer Avatar
I got a high school and a college level textbook (two books, if you were confused) from my old physics teacher for free. Yeah, you guys bitch about textbooks and I go around asking for them...for no reason. Other than for light reading. I'm a nerd.

Sounds like we're one and the same P: During my ISS, I read a Physics Textbook for like two hours before I finally got around to doing actual work.

I'm not in college yet, Sophomore in Highschool actually, but this sounds like it's going to really suck. I'm poor as it is O_o How the hell am I to afford $500 in books when $10 a week for lunch is hard? Jesus. How are they so much? They're just freakin' books for class. ???
[/size]

Last Edit: Jan 12, 2010 18:35:13 GMT by Twerque
Signature coming~

Chris

Chris Avatar

Head Coder

June 2005
Twerque Avatar
Lucifer Avatar

Sounds like we're one and the same P: During my ISS, I read a Physics Textbook for like two hours before I finally got around to doing actual work.

I'm not in college yet, Sophomore in Highschool actually, but this sounds like it's going to really suck. I'm poor as it is O_o How the hell am I to afford $500 in books when $10 a week for lunch is hard? Jesus. How are they so much? They're just freakin' books for class. ???
[/size][/quote]

Talk with some friends... you might be able to get online textbooks for free or really cheap. :P And then some places are starting to "rent" textbooks as well. (Also, you do usually sell textbooks back at the end of the year.) I technically have an online version of my physics textbook and the one I need for this upcoming semester.

Last Edit: Jan 13, 2010 21:15:30 GMT by Chris

Hotshot

Hotshot Avatar

Legendary Studio Member

June 2008
Twerque Avatar
Lucifer Avatar

[/size][/quote]

It's called get a job. :P

Chris

Chris Avatar

Head Coder

June 2005
Yeah, jobs help a lot with paying for college. >.< And scholarships. Those are nice too. And financial aid (if you're applicable.)

Twerque

Twerque Avatar
make my way back home when i learn to fly.

Studio Member

December 2009
Hotshot Avatar
Twerque Avatar

[/quote]

It's called get a job. :P[/quote]

I've applied to like ... EVERYWHERE in my town that will hire a sixteen year old (Nine-ish locations?). Nobody is hiring =/ And I don't have a way of getting anywhere I can't walk, until I can buy a car, which I can't do until I get a job. Vicious cycle it is P:

Yeah, jobs help a lot with paying for college. >.< And scholarships. Those are nice too. And financial aid (if you're applicable.)

scholarships = love.[/blockquote][/size]
Signature coming~

Aryna

Aryna Avatar

August 2009
Chris Avatar

Yes, scholarships are amazing. Especially when you're looking at an out of state school, and you get a reciprocal scholarship. That makes a savings of, hm..., let's see, for me it means a savings of about ten thousand a year.

Chris

Chris Avatar

Head Coder

June 2005
Aryna Avatar
Chris Avatar

Yes, scholarships are amazing. Especially when you're looking at an out of state school, and you get a reciprocal scholarship. That makes a savings of, hm..., let's see, for me it means a savings of about ten thousand a year.

Financial aid covered a lot more of the cost for me, but a few outside scholarships definitely saved me about $5-8k this year. :P Very helpful.

Hotshot

Hotshot Avatar

Legendary Studio Member

June 2008
Twerque Avatar
Hotshot Avatar

It's called get a job. :P

I've applied to like ... EVERYWHERE in my town that will hire a sixteen year old (Nine-ish locations?). Nobody is hiring =/ And I don't have a way of getting anywhere I can't walk, until I can buy a car, which I can't do until I get a job. Vicious cycle it is P:

That sucks. I was lucky Mcds hired me because no where else would hire me or replied to my applications, but still its McDonalds. =p

Tobias

Tobias Avatar

Dedicated Member

November 2006
Chris Avatar
Aryna Avatar

Financial aid covered a lot more of the cost for me, but a few outside scholarships definitely saved me about $5-8k this year. :P Very helpful.
$18k total for the last two semesters.
Feels good man.

Last Edit: Jan 19, 2010 18:58:05 GMT by Tobias
#intj (Mastermind)^

newBookmarkLockedFalling