Please login or register. Welcome to the Studio, guest!

Quick Links:

newBookmarkLockedFalling

Eric

Eric Avatar

November 2005
Due to Luci's zoids thread...

I need recommendations for future viewing/reading.

In terms of manga, ones that I enjoy(ed):
-Death Note (come on, who didn't?)
-Spiral: Suiri no Kizuna
-Gantz
-Claymore
-Detective Conan
-The Breaker (just beginning, but looks promising)
-A fair amount of Shounen Jump & similar

In terms of anime:
-Code Geass
-Tower of Druaga (the first ep is a parody, just for the record)
-Not too many others, I prefer reading but will watch for an epic story line not available in manga.

Last Edit: Jan 7, 2010 4:08:01 GMT by Josh

Lucifer

Lucifer Avatar

Mythical Studio Member

Eunuch

August 2005
The only manga I've really read is Hellsing. It kicks ass.

As for anime, Dragonball Z, Gundam, Zoids, InuYasha, Cowboy Bebop, Outlaw Star, Princess Mononoke (movie), Bubblegum Crisis Tokyo, and plenty of others I can't seem to think of right now.

Josh

Josh Avatar
Where were you when Reach fell?

Legendary Studio Member

May 2008
Only Anime that I have ever enjoyed is the Dragonball series (pre GT) and the Gundam series. There are others that I used to watch (Pokemon, Digimon, Zoids, and Voltron come to mind), but I only ever really got into DB and Gundam.

EDIT: By the way... we need a live action Voltron movie. I was disappointed when Cloverfield turned out to be... well, not Voltron. lol

Last Edit: Dec 10, 2009 4:42:13 GMT by Josh

Scorpian

Scorpian Avatar

[ Bracket Admin ]

April 2006
Good Manga:
- My Days with Midori (a.k.a. Midori Days, Midori no Hibi)
- Koi Neko
- Zero In
- Nyan Koi
- Those Who Chase the Ageha
- Nagasarete Airantou
- A Certain Magical Index
- A Certain Scientific Railgun
- Onidere
- The World God Only Knows
- Mysterious Girlfriend X
- Ai Kora
- Akumetsu
- 51 Ways to Protect Your Lover
- My Balls
- Tona-Gura!
- Hakoiri
- Amaenaideyo!!
- Aki-Sora
- Koibana Onsen
- KissXSis
- Love Comedy Style
- Saru Lock
- Yuria 100 Shiki
- Rosario+Vampire
- Tsugumomo

... I could go on for hours.

Anime:
- Cowboy Bebop
- Samurai Champloo
- Full Metal Panic!
- A Certain Scientific Railgun
- KissXSis
- Haruka Nogizaka's Secret [first season only, the second one sucks]
- Lucky Star
- Spice & Wolf

My full list of both would probably stretch the length of every other post in this thread combined. I read/watch WAAAAAAAAY too much of this stuff. >.<
wat

Aryna

Aryna Avatar

August 2009
No Fruits Basket? (Drawing a total blank on the other manga I read that I liked before I got "cut off" by my mother, I think it was mostly fruits backset though..... I know I started reading Inuyasha, Naruto, and Full Metal Alchemist, but never finished them ,and neer got as far as I did with fruits basket.)

newfieldgrafix
OK

You have to watch

Da Capo / Da Kapo / ダカーポ - Circus
Clannad / Kuranado / クラナド - Visual Arts/Key
Kanon / Kanon / カノン - Visual Arts/Key
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya / Suzumiya Haruhi no Yūutsu / 涼宮ハルヒの憂鬱 - Kyoto Anime

Anything by Visual Arts/Key - all good. Clannad's quite tragic though. All good animé though. I hear Shuffle is good too.

Last Edit: Dec 10, 2009 20:20:20 GMT by newfieldgrafix

Eric

Eric Avatar

November 2005
@luci: Cowboy Bebop is actually on my list to watch, but I can never seem to find it subbed and I hate dubbed. Americans (or whoever does it) sound so retarded doing those voices. You'll have a full grown adult male voice for a child.

@scorp: From what I can you go for the romance/harem ones for the most part.

Although I have actually seen Samurai Champloo, which was indeed awesome. I've seen Magical Index too. Spice and Wolf I've read, I like it better in manga form. I watched one ep, found out it was in manga form and I've only read since.

Nagasarete Airantou was crap though, I read about five chapters before stopping. It just seems overly childish and I doubt the storyline will every really go anywhere. I read a couple chapters of The World Only God Knows (before you mentioned it). Didn't really like it, I had too high of hopes for the protagonist. I thought he might actually know about women (like pick up and stuff) but it seems to be a parody of dating sims.

Rosario+Vampire is indeed awesome though. I like the fighting more than the harem aspects though.

If you like Akumetsu, check out Wolf Guy - Ookami no Monshou. It's the same author, but he puts some romance in as well. I also think the plot is better.

I was actually waiting for your post just because of your sig. I knew it had to be epic.

: Fruits Basket is a shoujo manga I believe (for girls/women that is), so it doesn't surprise me that none of us mentioned it. Mostly I read shounen(for boys) and seinen(for young men). FMA is pretty good though, the overall plot seems pretty good and it has a storyline that actually goes somewhere.

@zell: I have yet to see any of those, I'll check some out.

Last Edit: Dec 10, 2009 21:07:21 GMT by Eric

Lucifer

Lucifer Avatar

Mythical Studio Member

Eunuch

August 2005
No. Cowboy Bebop is one of the all-time BEST American dubs ever. Seriously. No joke. Just watch it dubbed. Steven Jay Blum (as Spike) is fucking incredible. He's also Tom from Toonami, Mugen from Samurai Champloo, and Vincent Valentine from Advent Children. His voice is iconic. Go watch the dubbed.

Or, buy the DVD's. They come with a Japanese track with subs if you want.

newfieldgrafix
Oh no... You watch dubbed animé? Dubbing takes out a lot of the meaning, and the translation is usually way off "all your base are belong to us..."

Lucifer

Lucifer Avatar

Mythical Studio Member

Eunuch

August 2005
newfieldgrafix Avatar
Dec 10, 2009 22:46:17 GMT @newfieldgrafix said:
Oh no... You watch dubbed animé? Dubbing takes out a lot of the meaning, and the translation is usually way off "all your base are belong to us..."

And translating dialogue into subtitles is different how?

newfieldgrafix
The subs give you the basic overview, and you can get a lot more from the dialog.

Like eg.

Japanese:
Atashi: "Chiwassu, Onii-chan."
Kimi: "Ah, ohayo."

English:
Atashi: "Mornin', Kimi."
Kimi: "Oh, Morning."

You see, in the Japanese "Atashi" uses the honorific "Onii-chan"; indicating that "Kimi" is her older brother. The suffix "Chan" also suggests that she finds him endearing. Bot of which is lost in the English translation.

Oh and the names are a parody on personal pronouns, again lost in translation...

Lucifer

Lucifer Avatar

Mythical Studio Member

Eunuch

August 2005
newfieldgrafix Avatar
Dec 10, 2009 23:04:19 GMT @newfieldgrafix said:
The subs give you the basic overview, and you can get a lot more from the dialog.

Like eg.

Japanese:

English:

You see, in the Japanese "Atashi" uses the honorific "Onii-chan"; indicating that "Kimi" is her older brother. The suffix "Chan" also suggests that she finds him endearing. Bot of which is lost in the English translation.

Oh and the names are a parody on personal pronouns, again lost in translation...

The kinds of things that someone who knows nothing of Japanese would not notice or care about? In that case, sure. But I like to just sit and watch my anime. Hearing Japanese voices with English subtitles does not enhance my experience in the slightest. And as someone who multi-tasks, it's much easier to have English dubbing so I can still follow along while I browse Facebook or text like I am right now. I don't have to devote 100% of my efforts on the show in question.

Josh

Josh Avatar
Where were you when Reach fell?

Legendary Studio Member

May 2008
I don't always watch anime, but when I do, I prefer Dos Equis.

...right.

Anyway, when I watch anime, it's always dubbed. It doesn't bug me, really. However, movies like Jet Li's Hero? Yeah, if I ever watch a dubbed version again, I will shoot my own foot. Compared to the Chinese version, it doesn't even come close.

Lucifer

Lucifer Avatar

Mythical Studio Member

Eunuch

August 2005
Josh Avatar
I don't always watch anime, but when I do, I prefer Dos Equis.

...right.

Anyway, when I watch anime, it's always dubbed. It doesn't bug me, really. However, movies like Jet Li's Hero? Yeah, if I ever watch a dubbed version again, I will shoot my own foot. Compared to the Chinese version, it doesn't even come close.

I actually started to watch that dubbed because I was falling asleep and I wanted to hear the dialogue as I drifted to sleep. I made it less than a half hour and said, "fuck it." Went back to Chinese.

Eric

Eric Avatar

November 2005
Lucifer Avatar
newfieldgrafix Avatar
Dec 10, 2009 23:04:19 GMT @newfieldgrafix said:

Like eg.

Japanese:

English:

The kinds of things that someone who knows nothing of Japanese would not notice or care about? In that case, sure. But I like to just sit and watch my anime. Hearing Japanese voices with English subtitles does not enhance my experience in the slightest. And as someone who multi-tasks, it's much easier to have English dubbing so I can still follow along while I browse Facebook or text like I am right now. I don't have to devote 100% of my efforts on the show in question.
I've actually picked up on a fair amount of those types of things just by watching the subbing (and reading the manga). I actually prefer when the subbing crew leaves in the common japanese words, that way you can pick up on their meaning.

I don't know, English voices to Japanese characters just doesn't match for me. But I might give it a try for Bebop.

newBookmarkLockedFalling