Please login or register. Welcome to the Studio, guest!

Quick Links:

newBookmarkLockedFalling

Josh

Josh Avatar
Where were you when Reach fell?

Legendary Studio Member

May 2008
Artemis Fowl. What a great series by Eoin Colfer. If you haven't read them, they're a teen series about a child genius/criminal mastermind (He was twelve in the first book, I believe) who discovers an underground world run by fairies (not your typical fairies, either. These kick ass and take names. And are about a thousand years more advanced than we are). I've been reading them since grade school (I want to say 4th grade) and I still love them. Colfer managed to create such a wonderful world and such dynamic characters and intertwine them with intriguing stories that really capture you and force you to keep reading them.

Anyone else ever read these?

Hotshot

Hotshot Avatar

Legendary Studio Member

June 2008
In 6th grade at the end of the school year one of the books in the series was in the lost and found and they were gonna throw it away, and so I took it because I loved to read as a young boy. However, it wasn't the first book in the series and so I wanted to get the first book and read them in order. I never got around to it, and still the book sits on my bookcase. =/

Scorpian

Scorpian Avatar

[ Bracket Admin ]

April 2006
This was one of my gems back in the days when I actually cared for reading literature. I loved the series and religiously read every single one of 'em as I found 'em.

Last one I read was the third one, and I was pretty sure that was the last one. Is that true or have there been more since then?
wat

Josh

Josh Avatar

Legendary Studio Member

May 2008
Get it. If you like fantasy and whole worlds being created (i.e. Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings, Narnia, His Dark Materials, etc.), you should like this one.q

abZebras

abZebras Avatar

ProNation

June 2008
Loved this series.

Read 1 through 4 or 5

Conor

Conor Avatar

ProNation

July 2007
Yep. Loved these books. They were called L.E.P. Recons or something right? haha

Simie

Simie Avatar

ProScripter

May 2006
I really enjoyed these a while ago, but the more recent ones haven't been as good. :(

I don't read much anymore. Kinda a shame really, I spend all the time I did reading on the computer.

Oops.

Josh

Josh Avatar

Legendary Studio Member

May 2008
Conor Avatar
Yep. Loved these books. They were called L.E.P. Recons or something right? haha

Yeah. L.E.P. Recon. Freaking genius on Colfer's part. lol

Conor

Conor Avatar

ProNation

July 2007
yeah i red it and i just thought "win"

Simie

Simie Avatar

ProScripter

May 2006
I read it and went wut. I had no clue what was going on when I first read it - Especially the first scene in the book. I thought they were in a room in their mansion, not in a cafe O_o

I know better now.

I hope.

I just checked wikipedia and apparently there is another one planned. "The Atlantis Complex"

Read 1 through 4 or 5

There is a 6th one now too.

Josh

Josh Avatar

Legendary Studio Member

May 2008
Yeah, due out in July. I set my iCal reminder earlier today. lol

Hopefully they actually get around to making the damned film one of these days. It's been in production since 2003 with Jason Statham reportedly playing Butler. Frankly, he's too small for the role. Vinnie Jones, on the other hand, would kick ass and take names as Butler.

Eric

Eric Avatar

November 2005
I read the first two. I recently re-read part of one. I found it incredibly childish to be completely honest. I'm not knocking on anyone that reads it, it was certainly clever, but I think I'd have preferred it if it had a slightly darker more mature tone.

Josh

Josh Avatar

Legendary Studio Member

May 2008
Eric Avatar
I read the first two. I recently re-read part of one. I found it incredibly childish to be completely honest. I'm not knocking on anyone that reads it, it was certainly clever, but I think I'd have preferred it if it had a slightly darker more mature tone.

It's for younger readers. Of course it has a childish tone to it. As I've gotten older, I certainly would have liked it to be darker as well. Perhaps with how JK Rowling handled Harry Potter which got increasingly darker until the climax in the final book. But I still love the magic of the books. They're fun little adventures that one can read in a day or two.

Eric

Eric Avatar

November 2005
Josh Avatar
Eric Avatar

It's for younger readers. Of course it has a childish tone to it. As I've gotten older, I certainly would have liked it to be darker as well. Perhaps with how JK Rowling handled Harry Potter which got increasingly darker until the climax in the final book. But I still love the magic of the books. They're fun little adventures that one can read in a day or two.
Yeah, I know it's for a younger audience. But I would have to agree that HP was handled amazingly to suit the audience that grew up (literally) on HP. Started off good for when I was like 11 or 12 and it matched my age pretty well with the tone of the story.

Hotshot

Hotshot Avatar

Legendary Studio Member

June 2008
Josh Avatar
Get it. If you like fantasy and whole worlds being created (i.e. Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings, Narnia, His Dark Materials, etc.), you should like this one.q

I would if I had time for personal reading. :/

newBookmarkLockedFalling