Please login or register. Welcome to the Studio, guest!

Quick Links:

newBookmarkLockedFalling

Josh

Josh Avatar
Where were you when Reach fell?

Legendary Studio Member

May 2008
Earlier today, John Malkovich all but confirmed that he would be playing Vulture in Spiderman 4 and that they were to start shooting in the next few weeks.

Yeah. Not now.

/Film is reporting that, as of tonight, the film has been scrapped. Tobey Maguire and Sam Raimi have left the franchise completely. And, perhaps weirdest of all, a complete reboot of the franchise is planned for a 2012 release. With a new director, new writers, and an entirely new cast.

This means no more JK Simmons as J. Jonah Jameson. Damnit.

Of course, this means no more emo Spiderman, Kirsten Dunst, or crappy villain smorgasbords. So maybe it is a good thing.

But, then again, no John Malkovich. Damnit all!

Lucifer

Lucifer Avatar

Mythical Studio Member

Eunuch

August 2005
The series has always kinda sucked, and I think it'll continue to suck. They're losing everything good about it, so even if they fix stuff, other things will be worse. Personally, I could care less. The Spiderman movies are weak.

Eric

Eric Avatar

November 2005
Lucifer Avatar
The series has always kinda sucked, and I think it'll continue to suck. They're losing everything good about it, so even if they fix stuff, other things will be worse. Personally, I could care less. The Spiderman movies are weak.
I concur. Completely.

Chris

Chris Avatar

Head Coder

June 2005
I thought the first two were ok, but it's kinda just gone down hill from there. :P

Stinky666

Stinky666 Avatar

December 2009
I thought the movies were OK too.
Obviously they were aimed at all ages so they had limits, perhaps if they were 18+ then they could have been better. A completely new cast etc. is ridiculous.
It won't work unless said cast is an exceptional one.

I'm not too bothered about the 4th being scrapped though. It's a movie I watch just to watch, not one i'm all *omg gotta see otherwise I shall die*

Xylish

Xylish Avatar

Ghost Admin

June 2005
I think that doing the reboot of the spiderman series is needed. The first two movies were pretty good, but the 3rd one really sucked balls.

Ex-admin, designer and founder of Studio Zero. Currently working as a Dentist :)

Arucard

Arucard Avatar
I am the shadow, and the smoke in your eyes, I am the ghost, that hides in the night

Legendary Studio Member

September 2006
well that stinks, but then again i didn't even know a 4th one was going to happen at some point. if they do a reboot of the series i hope they do a better job on the cast

Josh

Josh Avatar

Legendary Studio Member

May 2008
Out of curiosity, do you guys have any thoughts as to who they should cast in the major roles (Parker, Mary J, possible villains, J. Jonah Jameson, Aunt May, Harry, etc.)? Keep in mind that Sony wants to dramatically reduce the budget for the series, so A-Listers are probably out of the question and I assume they will go for an unknown for Parker, like Marvel has done with Thor and is expected to do with Captain America.

Lucifer

Lucifer Avatar

Mythical Studio Member

Eunuch

August 2005
Well, J. Jonah Jameson cannot be played by anyone else. Sorry.

Mary J could really be anyone, honestly. I was never a fan of Kiersten. Peter Parker...I really don't know. Toby did such a great job, so even if someone else fits the roll like he does, it'd be hard to be a suitable replacement. As for Aunt May, I don't care. She was great, but it wouldn't make much of a difference.

Josh

Josh Avatar

Legendary Studio Member

May 2008
I agree with you on J. Jonah Jameson. JK Simmons was absolutely perfect as him. Also kind of disappointed we won't see Dylan Baker finally become Lizard.

I'm glad to be rid of Maguire, though. Never did like him, really. Other than his cameo in Tropic Thunder, of course. They need to make Satan's Alley into a movie, damnit.

Stinky666

Stinky666 Avatar

December 2009
Josh Avatar
I agree with you on J. Jonah Jameson. JK Simmons was absolutely perfect as him. Also kind of disappointed we won't see Dylan Baker finally become Lizard.

I'm glad to be rid of Maguire, though. Never did like him, really. Other than his cameo in Tropic Thunder, of course. They need to make Satan's Alley into a movie, damnit.

Maguire looks a bit like a drug addict in the movie Brothers.
So he should stick with that sort of role in my opinion haha.

Not sure who Peter Parker could be, but Marie J. could definitely be anyone (any young(ish) female anyway).

Ess Ohh

Ess Ohh Avatar
help me

Ghost Admin

August 2005
I think I'm in in the minority here but I never liked Tobey Maguire. He was a pretty good Peter Parker but a terrible Spider-Man.

I think raimi sabotaged spider-man 3 because they made him include venom in the movie. why else would he include the memorable jazz scene that was incredible for all the wrong reasons? 4 would've probably been better...but now we won't know.

Lucifer

Lucifer Avatar

Mythical Studio Member

Eunuch

August 2005
Ess Ohh Avatar
I think I'm in in the minority here but I never liked Tobey Maguire. He was a pretty good Peter Parker but a terrible Spider-Man.

Exactly.

Ess Ohh

Ess Ohh Avatar
help me

Ghost Admin

August 2005
why thank you. both for agreeing with my point and for the snazzy new nickname.

Spider-Man is supposed to be sarcastic and witty. Pulling out punchlines with awkward delivery in a monotone just ruins it

Hotshot

Hotshot Avatar

Legendary Studio Member

June 2008
I think it would help me contribute to this thread if I had seen any of the spiderman movies. lol

newBookmarkLockedFalling