Please login or register. Welcome to the Studio, guest!

Quick Links:

newBookmarkLockedFalling

Josh

Josh Avatar
Where were you when Reach fell?

Legendary Studio Member

May 2008
So my computer speakers are dying. I am currently rocking a 2.1 Altec Lansing BX 1121 set. Picked them up for $30 from Walmart September of 2008. The right speaker is going in and out, which is quite saddening. Really love these speakers.

This means I need to find a new set sometime soon, probably tomorrow. Anyone have any suggestions for under $50? I'm looking for two speakers with a subwoofer (nothing too powerful, just something to give me a little bit of "oompf" when watching action films on my laptop). It'd also be great if they had two 2.5mm inputs, but one will do if it must.

Any suggestions before I go store hopping tomorrow to search?

Conor

Conor Avatar

ProNation

July 2007
He said two speakers. Where in "two speakers" do you see "surround sound" ?

Josh

Josh Avatar

Legendary Studio Member

May 2008
Yeah, I just want a 2.1 system. I don't have the room for a 5.1 or anything like that. I'd prefer not to do Logitech, though. Speakers are the one thing I never liked from them. Great with everything else but the two sets I have had were pretty crappy sounding.

Eric

Eric Avatar

November 2005
Conor Avatar
He said two speakers. Where in "two speakers" do you see "surround sound" ?
Your level of douchebaggotry is getting really annoying. Trolling Xuzi isn't fun or cool. It seems the only reason you do post in threads he's posted in is to troll him. STFU. It's old and it just makes you look like a dumbass.

Anyways, I'm not sure if they'll have exactly what you're looking for, but I've had two sets of Rocketfish speakers and I've been very satisfied with both.

Josh

Josh Avatar

Legendary Studio Member

May 2008
Quick look at Rocketfish and they don't have what I want. I've been looking around and I've come across these.

Link - Appear to be the successor to my current speakers. Same casing with a few tweaks, at any rate.
Link - Logitech but with incredible, raving reviews. More than I want to pay, however. Might be worth it to go a bit more expensive, though.
Link - The best I can find for the price. Lacks a second 2.5mm input, though. Also lacks a headphone jack, which would be nice.
Link - Not considering these, but they are damn sweet. lol

There were a few more I was looking at, but I've ruled them out.

Arucard

Arucard Avatar
I am the shadow, and the smoke in your eyes, I am the ghost, that hides in the night

Legendary Studio Member

September 2006
Josh Avatar

Link - Appear to be the successor to my current speakers. Same casing with a few tweaks, at any rate.
Link - Logitech but with incredible, raving reviews. More than I want to pay, however. Might be worth it to go a bit more expensive, though.

both look pretty good from what i have read

Josh

Josh Avatar

Legendary Studio Member

May 2008
@xuzi: From experience, $90 Bose = $35 Everyone not named Bose or Sennheiser. :P And I wasn't considering that last one, like I said. I just thought it was damned cool. haha

@arucard: Yeah, I'm probably going to get one of them. Probably the Altec Lansing one, though apparently the cords are really short. Not sure if that is going to cause me a problem or not.

Lucifer

Lucifer Avatar

Mythical Studio Member

Eunuch

August 2005
Josh Avatar
@xuzi: From experience, $90 Bose = $35 Everyone not named Bose or Sennheiser. :P And I wasn't considering that last one, like I said. I just thought it was damned cool. haha

@arucard: Yeah, I'm probably going to get one of them. Probably the Altec Lansing one, though apparently the cords are really short. Not sure if that is going to cause me a problem or not.

Totally off-topic, but way to score 3,000 posts, bro.

Jim

Jim Avatar
Josh was here.

Studio Member

September 2005
xmsteel Avatar
Lucifer Avatar

Totally off-topic, but way to score 3,000 posts, bro.

The only off-topic post was yours :P

That's what he was saying, that his post was off topic.

I have a pair of these, and truthfully, they're actually not that bad. Mine had several moves and a lot of use, sometimes fairly heavy/hard/loud use, and as a result after a couple years one channel has died. But ignoring that, they really don't sound that bad at all. Not the greatest by any means, but they'd do what you wanted. Plus they take up such little space, the sub puts out more than you'd think for it's size. The only downfall is the cords are a little short.

Simie

Simie Avatar

ProScripter

May 2006
These are awesome. I had the Creature II and they served me well till I went into surround sound. Slightly over your budget though, I guess :P

They go well with macs :3

Andrew McGivery

Andrew McGivery Avatar
Formerly Fredy

Legendary Studio Member

Male

September 2005
I have a pair of speakers in my closet I don't use. I'll send them via boat to you. :P
k

Josh

Josh Avatar

Legendary Studio Member

May 2008
Andrew McGivery Avatar
I have a pair of speakers in my closet I don't use. I'll send them via boat to you. :P

Via boat? :P You're only a four hour drive from me. :P

Simie Avatar
These are awesome. I had the Creature II and they served me well till I went into surround sound. Slightly over your budget though, I guess :P

They go well with macs :3

Yeah, I've had my eyes on those for a long time. Unfortunately, they are quite a bit out of my price range.

perishingflames

perishingflames Avatar

Dedicated Member

March 2007
I'm actually looking into speakers right now for myself too. Have a few on my list, including Altec VS4121 ($56), Boston Acoustics MM220 ($40), Eagle Tech ET-AR504LR ($50). Let us know what you decide on, would be interested to hear.

Josh

Josh Avatar

Legendary Studio Member

May 2008
The VS4121 are the ones I am going to be buying, I think. I'll look at the other ones, though.

Andrew McGivery

Andrew McGivery Avatar
Formerly Fredy

Legendary Studio Member

Male

September 2005
Josh Avatar
Andrew McGivery Avatar

Via boat? :P You're only a four hour drive from me. :P

good point. I'll send them via taxi.
k

newBookmarkLockedFalling