Please login or register. Welcome to the Studio, guest!

Quick Links:

newBookmarkLockedFalling

Conor

Conor Avatar

ProNation

July 2007
No, this is not a post about which you think is the best with a poll. This is me asking you which OS you think I should get. Frankly, Windows made me want to cough up blood, and Ubuntu can't run anything. Both piss me off. I also don't have the money to buy an Apple. What other free/inexpensive operating systems are there?

Edit: Free inexpensive operating systems that are good. **

Last Edit: Jan 21, 2010 21:24:41 GMT by Conor

Eric

Eric Avatar

November 2005
What are you looking to do on your computer? What purpose will it serve?

Lucifer

Lucifer Avatar

Mythical Studio Member

Eunuch

August 2005
Nothing that will "run anything". If you don't want Windows and can't afford a Mac, then you're stuck with Linux or some other independent OS. Either way, you're going to run into the compatibility issues.

What exactly are you trying to run? Ubuntu comes with about everything you'd need. Torrent, IM, internet, email, and tons more. And a LOT of things can be installed if you know what you're doing. As for games, do what I plan to do. Partition your hard drive for Windows for your games and use Ubuntu (or whatever) for everything else.

Conor

Conor Avatar

ProNation

July 2007
I didn't partition because I hated Windows so much, so I'm stuck with Ubuntu unless I find another independent one. I'm really just planning on using it for designing and simple things.

Lucifer

Lucifer Avatar

Mythical Studio Member

Eunuch

August 2005
Have you tried Windows 7? A lot of people seem to be fairly happy with it. Like, apparently it really is the best OS Windows has made. Otherwise, I have friends who are planning to downgrade to XP (something I might do if I don't get 7). That's another option. They're both Windows, but they're huge steps up from Vista.

Josh

Josh Avatar
Where were you when Reach fell?

Legendary Studio Member

May 2008
Triple boot. Use each for the things you want them for. *Shrugs*

Eric

Eric Avatar

November 2005
Ubuntu can use photoshop (with a bit of work, probably a Windows emulator like WINE [haven't tried it, but I know it's possible]). In terms of other "simple" things, you're probably used to a certain set of programs that won't work on ubuntu. However, Ubuntu has programs that replace these programs that tend to be the equivalent of what comes on windows if not better. You can do a google search on the type of program you're looking for and then read some reviews or comments and pick one out.

If you insist on using a certain program, see if someone hasn't found a way to run it on ubuntu. There are some pretty stubborn people out there who have probably already done the work for you.

Last Edit: Jan 21, 2010 21:42:42 GMT by Eric

Chris

Chris Avatar

Head Coder

June 2005
If you're coming from Vista, I think at least trying 7 would be worth it if you can get a copy... otherwise, Ubuntu is probably the best alternative for reasons already said.

newBookmarkLockedFalling