Please login or register. Welcome to the Studio, guest!

Quick Links:

newBookmarkLockedFalling

Moose

Moose Avatar

August 2005
I have a phone interview on Sunday for an internship. Any suggestions? I am very very awkward on the phone! =/
Greg says:
Coding music...
Greg says:
Hmm...
Greg says:
I wouldn't rule it out. :P
Chris 3.0 [New features? Yes.] says:
:P
Greg says:
If you think about machine code it's a bunch of 1s and 0s
Anything is possible.
Greg says:
Yeah try to code Metallica
:P Yeah, I'll get right on that... right after I learn to fly.

Lucifer

Lucifer Avatar

Mythical Studio Member

Eunuch

August 2005
If you're anything like me and feel awkward talking on the phone around others, go somewhere quiet and alone.

Beyond that, I can't help you. I'm terrible over the phone, too.

Josh

Josh Avatar
Where were you when Reach fell?

Legendary Studio Member

May 2008
Do a mock interview with someone. Write up some possible questions that will be asked, give them to a friend or family member, and have them call and interview you.

Eric

Eric Avatar

November 2005
Take 1-2 seconds to collect your thoughts for every question (more if you need it). Don't feel the need to answer immediately and especially don't fill in the time you think with "ummm" or any similar noise. If you feel the need to put anything before you begin say "Well" then collect your thoughts. Taking time to answer shows that you think before acting and responding, it's looked upon as a good thing typically.

Eliminate the word "like" from your vocabulary as best as you are able (in my day-to-day speech my sentences have at least one "like" in them). Don't go for words or phrases that you aren't entirely sure of the meaning of. This sounds basic, but I've been on the other end of phone interviews and it seems as though people try to use big words to impress; ultimately they look like fools because they use them improperly.

Ultimately, phone interviews suck because most of communication in a normal conversation is non-verbal, and you don't have any of these cues. Just know that everyone has this disadvantage, so you shouldn't be especially worried that you're bad on the phone. Everyone is. Just take your time and focus on what they ask, try not to get nervous. Practice never hurts either.

Hotshot

Hotshot Avatar

Legendary Studio Member

June 2008
Eric pretty much summed it up, but I'd like to add in my two cents. I've never had a phone interview, and I'm sure you want to be as professional as possible, but also don't forget who you are. If the mood is light and a laugh is appropriate I'd say go ahead. It makes you seem more real and down to Earth. Treat it almost like a day to day conversation on the phone, but somewhat more serious, because the job is on the line, literally.

You'll do fine I'm sure, good luck :)

Last Edit: Jan 22, 2010 19:35:44 GMT by Hotshot

Chris

Chris Avatar

Head Coder

June 2005
Never had one, but my guess is it's as close to a real interview as you can get without seeing the other person. :P So just follow those typical guidelines.

newBookmarkLockedFalling