Please login or register. Welcome to the Studio, guest!

Quick Links:

newBookmarkLockedFalling

Simie

Simie Avatar

ProScripter

May 2006
Eric Avatar
Are you guys who find it "sexy" technosexuals? It looks clean, but not really sexy. Five years ago I might have said it looked sleek and awesome, but not now.

I didn't say it was sexy :(

But it does look nice, just too similar to the iPhone.

Last Edit: Jan 27, 2010 23:23:55 GMT by Simie

Josh

Josh Avatar
Where were you when Reach fell?

Legendary Studio Member

May 2008
Eric Avatar
Are you guys who find it "sexy" technosexuals? It looks clean, but not really sexy. Five years ago I might have said it looked sleek and awesome, but not now.

The interface itself is. It has its issues (the iTunes interface looks like iTunes 1-4ish did), but the overall presentation is magnificent. Especially the iBooks app.

perishingflames

perishingflames Avatar

Dedicated Member

March 2007
Meh.

Quinine

Quinine Avatar
[5]

Senior Studio Member

May 2007

Xylish

Xylish Avatar

Ghost Admin

June 2005
I personally don't find it that compelling to invest in this tech for now. Sure it looks good, and everything that Apple makes is very functional. But with laptops and smart-phones which provide the same function. I don't really see a need for this device to really kick off for many consumers like us.

It's more for specialized industries such as education or even businesses to showcase their portfolios.
Ex-admin, designer and founder of Studio Zero. Currently working as a Dentist :)

Aryna

Aryna Avatar

August 2009
Xylish Avatar
I personally don't find it that compelling to invest in this tech for now. Sure it looks good, and everything that Apple makes is very functional. But with laptops and smart-phones which provide the same function. I don't really see a need for this device to really kick off for many consumers like us.

It's more for specialized industries such as education or even businesses to showcase their portfolios.

That's exactly what I was going to say.

I tried to explain it to my dad last night, and I had a hard time until I said, "It's basically like an Iphone combined with netbook, only not as nice." And my mom keeps saying it does have a keyboard, but it doesn't really. I mean, yeah, it has a touchscreen keyboard, but touchscreen doesn't work for me when it comes to typing.

Scorpian

Scorpian Avatar

[ Bracket Admin ]

April 2006
www.neowin.net/news/is-the-ipad-apple039s-ifail

All in all, I have to say that I absolutely do not like this piece of equipment. From what I can see, it's really no different from an enlarged iPod touch, except worse; which pretty much sums it up since I hate the iPod touch. If this thing had OSX on it, I may be willing to give it a chance. But to use an OS as restricted as this? Why? I had to hack my iPhone just to change the wallpaper. The lack of Flash support is also the thing I hate the most about the iPhone/iPod touch. In fact, pretty much every problem I have with my iPhone is exists on the iPad.

From what I can see, this is probably the worst thing Apple has made in quite a while. Yes, even worse than iTunes for Windows.

*iEdit: Hate to be an ass, but I just found this image. It cracked me up.

Last Edit: Jan 28, 2010 21:40:43 GMT by Scorpian
wat

Josh

Josh Avatar
Where were you when Reach fell?

Legendary Studio Member

May 2008
This one is better, Scorp.

Scorpian

Scorpian Avatar

[ Bracket Admin ]

April 2006
Dude... when I posted the one I found in an IRC channel, somebody else immediately linked directly to that one...

Evidently, it is better. O.o
wat

Lucifer

Lucifer Avatar

Mythical Studio Member

Eunuch

August 2005
Those images are great. So was that video. :P

All in all, I think the general consensus is that this is a giant, inefficient iPhone and costs twice as much. I think Apple is gonna flop on this one. Scorpian posted that link which suggested that Apple usually does well with things like the iPod and iPhone. Both of those were unique and innovative when they were released and, naturally, gained huge support from the get go. This is neither unique nor innovative. As the pictures have suggested, this is basically a step back in technology and really serves no greater purpose than a smartphone or laptop. Except that it's not as good as either in their respective jobs (portability and functionality).

Aryna

Aryna Avatar

August 2009
www.archos.com/products/nb/archos_9/index.html?country=si&lang=en
I didn't even think about it until just now, but, somebody's already come up with a version of the iPad. And it's not called an "iPad". Which is totally just wrong. (Think about it for a second, it has something to do with feminine products.... ^^)

Quinine

Quinine Avatar
[5]

Senior Studio Member

May 2007
: check my post containing a youtube link above.

[lUkE]™

[lUkE]™ Avatar

October 2009
I saw it on the news yesterday, its looks quite nice but I wouldn't get one unless the cost came down :P

codercommunity.proboards.com/index.cgi

A site for coders and graphic designers. Also get your forum rated! More people see your forum that way! JOIN NOW AND ENJOY YOUR SELF! ;D

Andrew McGivery

Andrew McGivery Avatar
Formerly Fredy

Legendary Studio Member

Male

September 2005
I just realized it looks like the one scene in avatar when he goes into his new body for the first time and the scientist dude takes the thing from one screen and slides it to the other.

amirite?
k

Lucifer

Lucifer Avatar

Mythical Studio Member

Eunuch

August 2005
Andrew McGivery Avatar
I just realized it looks like the one scene in avatar when he goes into his new body for the first time and the scientist dude takes the thing from one screen and slides it to the other.

amirite?

No, you're not, but that scene was cool. I remember noting that as a perfect example of realistic sci-fi. If you watch old sci-fi, things are either outdated by today's standards or so ridiculously off-base of where technology is going, it's laughable. Avatar, on the other hand, seems believable with its technology.

newBookmarkLockedFalling