Please login or register. Welcome to the Studio, guest!

Quick Links:

newBookmarkLockedFalling

Josh

Josh Avatar
Where were you when Reach fell?

Legendary Studio Member

May 2008
www.apple.com/ipad/

Thoughts? Personally... I'm not impressed. The only thing it is going to excel at, in my opinion, is books. But even then... you should be doing lots of reading on a backlit screen, so I think eBook Readers like the Kindle and nook are the way to go. Meh.

Lucifer

Lucifer Avatar

Mythical Studio Member

Eunuch

August 2005
I don't get it. Exactly what does this do that the iPhone/iPod doesn't?

Simie

Simie Avatar

ProScripter

May 2006
Lucifer Avatar
I don't get it. Exactly what does this do that the iPhone/iPod doesn't?

Better interweb browsing, books. I guess. Not much =P

Though I'm very interested in game dev for this, RTS on a large touch screen would be awesome.

Josh

Josh Avatar

Legendary Studio Member

May 2008
It's the middle ground between laptops and mobile devices. In the words of Jobs, "Many would say that that would be netbooks. But they suck. They are just cheap laptops."

iiPod

iiPod Avatar

ProNation

October 2009
I first thought that when I saw it. But now I think I'm starting to see the reason behind it; web browsing, iPod, iBook, and loads of new, full screen, more 'game-like' apps. I think I'm starting to realise what it's about, and I love the looks, can't deny it looks pretty sexy? :P
Looking for a coder, PM me.

Quinine

Quinine Avatar
[5]

Senior Studio Member

May 2007
It's a big iPod touch with apps pre-installed, and it's $499US. Meh.

Lucifer

Lucifer Avatar

Mythical Studio Member

Eunuch

August 2005
Quinine Avatar
It's a big iPod touch with apps pre-installed, and it's $499US. Meh.

Exactly. What's new? New applications and stuff? Couldn't they just integrate those into existing Apple products instead of making something no one will buy?

Last Edit: Jan 27, 2010 21:01:50 GMT by Lucifer

Eric

Eric Avatar

November 2005
Useless device is useless.

But no, seriously, this device seems like a complete waste. No way in hell would I get one.

Josh

Josh Avatar

Legendary Studio Member

May 2008
You do have to give it to Apple, though, that is one sexy piece of tech. :P

Eric

Eric Avatar

November 2005
Josh Avatar
You do have to give it to Apple, though, that is one sexy piece of tech. :P
It looks just like the iPhone but bigger and slimmer, not really that impressive to me. I'm waiting for newer better designs.

Simie

Simie Avatar

ProScripter

May 2006
Yeah, was unimpressed at the lack of a new design.

But I would get one if I were a casual user who only did web browsing, email etc.

Which a lot of people do.

JD

JD Avatar

June 2008
:o

I'm getting one.
Now.

I know you can say it's not new, but look at the sleek sexiness and tell me you don't want to have little iPods with it.

Lucifer

Lucifer Avatar

Mythical Studio Member

Eunuch

August 2005
I hate how Apple is constantly trying to make the thinnest, lightest technology they can. First of all, I've never heard anyone complain that their laptop weighs a whopping 10 pounds instead of 6. It's all fairly negligible below 20 pounds. Second of all, humans are not careful. I want something durable, not something skinnier than a runway model. This just looks like a $500 accident waiting to happen. Don't notice it on the chair, next to your bed, whatever, and suddenly it gets crushed. Plus, it's so small, but not that small. It's too big to fit in a pocket, yet they decide to make it too small to be useful for anything but pure portability. And honestly, normal laptops are portable enough. I'm sure this MIGHT be useful sometimes, but it just seems stupid.

Get a laptop or get an iPod. This is just a poorly executed combination of the two and lacks the strengths of both.

Simie

Simie Avatar

ProScripter

May 2006

Eric

Eric Avatar

November 2005
Are you guys who find it "sexy" technosexuals? It looks clean, but not really sexy. Five years ago I might have said it looked sleek and awesome, but not now.

newBookmarkLockedFalling