Please login or register. Welcome to the Studio, guest!

Quick Links:

newBookmarkLockedFalling

iiPod

iiPod Avatar

ProNation

October 2009
Published on Tutorial9, the tutorial I wrote for AF. :)

www.tutorial9.net/photoshop/how-to-design-a-3d-glass-icon-in-photoshop/

-iiPod.
Looking for a coder, PM me.

John

John Avatar

February 2010
Bit to advanced for me, but the outcome looks amazing like everything you do! :D

Keep it up! :)

Scorpian

Scorpian Avatar

[ Bracket Admin ]

April 2006
John, not a very helpful comment there.

iiPod, looks like a pretty good tutorial. It's very thorough. However, I have a couple of small issues with it.

Why does the canvas have to be 900x900? Also, what's with the grayscale color mode? Colors are being used, right? Oh, and is it absolutely necessary that 8-bit color be used? I find it better to work in 16-bit. Everything looks a lot smoother. You should just be able to convert any 8-bit PSD to 16-bit through the Image mode menu. You'll notice a lot of those rough gradients smooth-out almost instantly. Anyway, does the document have to be 72ppi? And would it matter if I chose a background color other than "transparent"?

Simply put, almost none of those settings seem to be a requirement. I'd recommend not stating that those settings are required. Just put that they were the ones you used. I feel pretty confident that I could follow that tutorial and get a good result at any document/circle/effect size. The same can be said for a lot of the settings you chose.

That's just something I noticed right off the bat. I didn't have a chance to really read through it and look it over. I'll post some more when I take a closer look. ;)

Also, I do recommend trying out 16-bit. It'll easily fix a lot of those slight color changes. You're saving those images as PNGs, so the color depth will stay.
wat

iiPod

iiPod Avatar

ProNation

October 2009
Yeah, the first image is a mistake. It shouldn't be Grayscale and I do use 16-but most the time. I use 72ppi because I'm a newb. I've never really tried anything else, I think I will at some point though.

Tutorial9 asks to write precise instructions, I'm not sure I agree with them, more with you, but... :-/

iiPod

iiPod Avatar

ProNation

October 2009

newBookmarkLockedFalling