Please login or register. Welcome to the Studio, guest!

Quick Links:

newBookmarkLockedFalling

Scorpian

Scorpian Avatar

[ Bracket Admin ]

April 2006
Source: www.neowin.net/news/google-execs-found-guilty-of-allowing-video-to-be-posted-to-youtube

Basically, a video was posted on YouTube of some kid getting the crap beat out of him. In Italy, this is apparently considered a serious privacy invasion. The four students responsible for it were, of course, dealt with in an appropriate manner already. However, the government didn't stop there. They threw some blame onto Google... and won.

"The case is the first time a web company has been held criminally liable for user posted content". So, that being said, is this right? Should Google/YouTube be held fully liable for content they can't control? YouTube already cracks down pretty heavily on terms-violating content. I've seen violated videos be removed within minutes of being uploaded. Is that not enough?
wat

Simie

Simie Avatar

ProScripter

May 2006
Scorpian Avatar
"The case is the first time a web company has been held criminally liable for user posted content".

This is not gonna be good for torrent sites in future cases.

I don't think google should have had to take the blame for this, they do their best to get rid of any content which people want removed for a good reason. Couldn't they just have asked for them to take it down?

Chris

Chris Avatar

Head Coder

June 2005
Don't they have a clause in their Terms of Service that says something like "We can not be held responsible for user submitted content" and then something like they'll clean it up if contacted? >.<

newfieldgrafix
Chris Avatar
Don't they have a clause in their Terms of Service that says something like "We can not be held responsible for user submitted content" and then something like they'll clean it up if contacted? >.<

Depends if that clause is valid under Italian law.

Also if YouTube gets shit, how come 4Chan is still online?

Lucifer

Lucifer Avatar

Mythical Studio Member

Eunuch

August 2005
newfieldgrafix Avatar
Feb 25, 2010 12:28:35 GMT @newfieldgrafix said:
Chris Avatar

Depends if that clause is valid under Italian law.

Also if YouTube gets shit, how come 4Chan is still online?

I think 4chan is fairly unknown to government. I mean, I can't imagine it'd still be online if it was known.

As for the outcome of the case, that's bullshit.

newBookmarkLockedFalling