Please login or register. Welcome to the Studio, guest!

Quick Links:

newBookmarkLockedFalling

abZebras

abZebras Avatar

ProNation

June 2008
I want to completely erase my hard drive, and reinstall again, but I'm not positive where to start.

Anyone have any helpful links/instructions/anything?

Chris

Chris Avatar

Head Coder

June 2005
1) BACKUP EVERYTHING.
2) Double check you backed up everything.
3) Check again.

After that, it depends on OS and stuff. :P If Ubuntu, just pop in the installation CD again. Same with Windows XP, Vista, and 7 pretty much. (Well, 7 Enterprise at least.) Not sure on Macs.

abZebras

abZebras Avatar

ProNation

June 2008
What do you suggest by everything, any particular well-hidden files I should make note of?

Cause so far I've got all my doc/pics/music and some vidyagame configs&files

Chris

Chris Avatar

Head Coder

June 2005
Video game save files, your bookmarks (I recommend the Xmarks extension to do this for you if you use Firefox), your browser extensions (as a list in a text file), and any greasemonkey scripts you use if you have that extension.

After that, your docs folder covers most of what you need. :P I'm sure these guys can chip in some I forgot.

Josh

Josh Avatar
Where were you when Reach fell?

Legendary Studio Member

May 2008
Xmarks is available on the four big browsers now, Chris. :P

Lucifer

Lucifer Avatar

Mythical Studio Member

Eunuch

August 2005
Funny. I'm about to do the same thing. As much as I love Ubuntu, the fact that it apparently doesn't like my processor (or something to deal with my hardware, likely), I'm actually going back to Vista. I never thought I would, but I can't even watch YouTube videos anymore without it freezing. >_<

Hotshot

Hotshot Avatar

Legendary Studio Member

June 2008
:o.. I also need to do this and soon. My computer has gotten so slow and I fear it may have a virus or many lol. My solution = use dells (reset to manufactures settings). However I always seem to get a problem again down the road. Carelessness or does my tactic not do the trick?

(sorry for thread hijacking :P)

Chris

Chris Avatar

Head Coder

June 2005
Hotshot: Just use a damn virus scanner then. :P Avast is good AND free. And computers slow down over time anyways.

Hotshot

Hotshot Avatar

Legendary Studio Member

June 2008
I will, but still the computer takes a good five minutes or so to start up. Its very frustrating.

Lucifer

Lucifer Avatar

Mythical Studio Member

Eunuch

August 2005
Chris Avatar
Hotshot: Just use a damn virus scanner then. :P Avast is good AND free. And computers slow down over time anyways.

No way. Avira. It's better and lighter weight. Not that Avast isn't one of the best ones out there. I used it for a long time and it did great. But Avira is simply better. It catches things faster, things Avast doesn't, and it's scans take less time and don't bog down your computer.

Also, Chris, Ubuntu has no uninstall option with the disc. You just have to reinstall over it. A fresh reinstall should erase the hard drive pretty much completely, anyway. Otherwise, there are complicated-ass ways to properly uninstall it (such as if you have it on a partition and want to remove it without putting another OS in its place).

Chris

Chris Avatar

Head Coder

June 2005
Lucifer Avatar
Chris Avatar

No way. Avira. It's better and lighter weight. Not that Avast isn't one of the best ones out there. I used it for a long time and it did great. But Avira is simply better. It catches things faster, things Avast doesn't, and it's scans take less time and don't bog down your computer.

Also, Chris, Ubuntu has no uninstall option with the disc. You just have to reinstall over it. A fresh reinstall should erase the hard drive pretty much completely, anyway. Otherwise, there are complicated-ass ways to properly uninstall it (such as if you have it on a partition and want to remove it without putting another OS in its place).

I never said anything about uninstalling, did I? o.O I just said boot from the CD and reinstall the same way. Backups to me infer offsite backups if you were thinking it because of that.

Lucifer

Lucifer Avatar

Mythical Studio Member

Eunuch

August 2005
Chris Avatar
Lucifer Avatar

I never said anything about uninstalling, did I? o.O I just said boot from the CD and reinstall the same way. Backups to me infer offsite backups if you were thinking it because of that.

Yeah, you're right. I don't know why I inferred that.

abZebras

abZebras Avatar

ProNation

June 2008
Also, would you guys suggest taking the time to install all the little windows updates, or would you go straight for the service packs only?

Lucifer

Lucifer Avatar

Mythical Studio Member

Eunuch

August 2005
abZebras Avatar
Also, would you guys suggest taking the time to install all the little windows updates, or would you go straight for the service packs only?

Being that I don't trust Windows to run properly the way it is, I try to install any and all updates. Just in case it matters. I don't usually pay much attention to them.

Chris

Chris Avatar

Head Coder

June 2005
Some updates need to be installed prior to the Service Packs. Personally, I just go through all at once and install them all whenever they're available. :P Same with Linux... just install as many as possible, restart, check again 'cause sometimes there are more... now repeat until there are no more updates... then install MS Office and watch more updates appear.... :P

newBookmarkLockedFalling