Please login or register. Welcome to the Studio, guest!

Quick Links:

newBookmarkLockedFalling

newfieldgrafix
Google have done it again... Thinking they know what we want.

YouTube suffered a blow yesterday as its infamous rating system was taken offline in favor of a Facebook styled "like" feature. However, they also have a dislike option.

Google have optimized YouTube to conform to a more "social network" theme, and targeting 15 year old emos as their key demographic.

In other news, Facebook changes seem to get an all round thumbs up...

Last Edit: Mar 11, 2010 17:01:59 GMT by newfieldgrafix

Josh

Josh Avatar
Where were you when Reach fell?

Legendary Studio Member

May 2008
Not sure what you are talking about... there are still ratings for me. Has it not been 100% rolled out yet? I know the Facebook changes take 4-5 days to roll out to everyone.

newfieldgrafix
I'd post a screenshot, but YouTube's gone down.

Edit
It's back

Last Edit: Mar 11, 2010 17:15:56 GMT by newfieldgrafix

Josh

Josh Avatar

Legendary Studio Member

May 2008
I just read an article on it (no screens, though). Apparently the entire video page has been redone. They do make a good point though... hardly anyone ever used the ratings correctly. It was either 1 or 5 stars, that's how I did it. :P Like/Dislike makes sense for that reason

newfieldgrafix
I know, and see the point, even though I use which ever star I feel is reasonable. But you can't entirely see the video's rating until after you rate. Instead, you get things like "most rated" and such. Then after you rate, you get a bar chart of dis/likes. That would work but, YouTube seem to have over-intricated it, Google style.

Edit:

It's "most liked" next to the video, or nothing. They should have a red and green bar to show rated rather than obscure text.

Last Edit: Mar 11, 2010 17:25:49 GMT by newfieldgrafix

Lucifer

Lucifer Avatar

Mythical Studio Member

Eunuch

August 2005
While I'm with Josh and only ever rated 1 or 5 stars, the fact that the ratings tend to average out to an overall rating of however many stars was nice. Now, they don't have that. And besides, this is a video website, so even if the rating stars serve as much of a purpose as like/dislike, rating stars are iconic in movie ratings. It just made sense.

newfieldgrafix
For some reason, it only shows up on that on my account. My buddies don't have the new system yet.

abZebras

abZebras Avatar

ProNation

June 2008
I quite like the new voice to text feature

provides for lulz.

As for the rating... meh, I rarely rate anything anyway

lurk moar

lurk moar Avatar

Dedicated Member

July 2006
i hate how its two clicks to add a favourite now ¬_¬

newfieldgrafix
There was something about Captions being on by default if present. I'd find that annoying.

Lucifer

Lucifer Avatar

Mythical Studio Member

Eunuch

August 2005
newfieldgrafix Avatar
Mar 12, 2010 0:03:12 GMT @newfieldgrafix said:
There was something about Captions being on by default if present. I'd find that annoying.

Haven't they always been on by default? With an option to turn them off?

Josh

Josh Avatar

Legendary Studio Member

May 2008
Lucifer Avatar
newfieldgrafix Avatar
Mar 12, 2010 0:03:12 GMT @newfieldgrafix said:

Annotations, not captions. YouTube is rolling out Speech-To-Text captions for all of its videos, including on the fly translations from what I have heard. It's horrible. If you watch the iPad intro video (Engadget pointed it out a few days ago), it's freaking hilarious. There are points when they are calling the iPad a prostitute according to the captioning. lol

Lucifer

Lucifer Avatar

Mythical Studio Member

Eunuch

August 2005
Josh Avatar
Lucifer Avatar

Annotations, not captions. YouTube is rolling out Speech-To-Text captions for all of its videos, including on the fly translations from what I have heard. It's horrible. If you watch the iPad intro video (Engadget pointed it out a few days ago), it's freaking hilarious. There are points when they are calling the iPad a prostitute according to the captioning. lol

Ah, okay. Sounds dumb.

newfieldgrafix
Josh Avatar

PLease, YouTube, use Vocaloid!

Hotshot

Hotshot Avatar

Legendary Studio Member

June 2008
Nooo the stars.. Not like I ever used them anyways. I dont even have a youtube account :o..

newBookmarkLockedFalling