Please login or register. Welcome to the Studio, guest!

Quick Links:

newBookmarkLockedFalling

Scorpian

Scorpian Avatar

[ Bracket Admin ]

April 2006
www.neowin.net/news/apple-reveals-iphone-os-40
Other article: www.neowin.net/news/iphone-os-40-in-depth-walkthrough

Yes, it's just a preview for developers. However, it does show off quite a chunk of the new stuff that OS 4.0 is capable of. True multitasking, folders, and a native ad network, for example. I also find it curious that the theme looks a little different. Is this perhaps the result of being able to customize it (at least slightly) without jailbreaking? I'm not entirely sure.

Keep in mind that this article, by no means, shows off everything OS 4.0 can do or enables. It's just a developer preview, nothing more.

Last Edit: Apr 9, 2010 3:06:02 GMT by Scorpian
wat

newfieldgrafix
Apple's UI is getting old.

Josh

Josh Avatar
Where were you when Reach fell?

Legendary Studio Member

May 2008
Apple is making their presence in the gaming world felt. Game Center is like a mobile Xbox Live.

newfieldgrafix
Josh Avatar
Apple is making their presence in the gaming world felt.

They know a gaming world exists?

Eric

Eric Avatar

November 2005
So basically they're fixing everything that droid marketed against.

Josh

Josh Avatar

Legendary Studio Member

May 2008
Not just the Droid, though. They are also trying to take out RIM while they are down and losing customers with Apple's improved enterprise functions. Not to mention beating Google to the mobile ad game, and Microsoft to the mobile games... game.

They're going after everyone in sight.

Andrew McGivery

Andrew McGivery Avatar
Formerly Fredy

Legendary Studio Member

Male

September 2005
Personally I think the iphone is more of a casual kind of phone. Anyone who uses it for business is kind of an idiot.

Blackberry = business phone.
k

Scorpian

Scorpian Avatar

[ Bracket Admin ]

April 2006
Neowin has a new article that goes more in-depth.

It can be found here: www.neowin.net/news/iphone-os-40-in-depth-walkthrough
I also posted the link in the first post.
wat

Lucifer

Lucifer Avatar

Mythical Studio Member

Eunuch

August 2005
Andrew McGivery Avatar
Personally I think the iphone is more of a casual kind of phone. Anyone who uses it for business is kind of an idiot.

Very true. As much as I like my Storm2, it's not as fun as I was hoping.

Josh

Josh Avatar

Legendary Studio Member

May 2008
Andrew McGivery Avatar

You'd be surprised at how well it works for some people. One of the people I am working closest with at my job right now uses one and he says it's miles better than his old Bold (unintentional rhyme. :P) was for his job.

Lucifer

Lucifer Avatar

Mythical Studio Member

Eunuch

August 2005
Josh Avatar
Andrew McGivery Avatar

You'd be surprised at how well it works for some people. One of the people I am working closest with at my job right now uses one and he says it's miles better than his old Bold (unintentional rhyme. :P) was for his job.

But there's no denying that Blackberry's are directed at businessmen. My dad has had a few already, and there was an entire episode of The Office dedicated to everyone getting new Blackberry's.

I'd guess it's because they're cheaper (than iPhones) and more stable than most smartphones. And unlike something like, say, the Droid (which is new enough that it's not exactly fair to draw comparisons, anyway), Blackberry's are a bit more focused on business and phone utilities and application as opposed to...everything.

Josh

Josh Avatar

Legendary Studio Member

May 2008
I will give you that. They are definitely meant for business people. There's a shit ton of Droids around here too. For whatever reason, cubicle people seem to have a Droid while the people in back in the blue collar areas have iPhones and BlackBerry's, as well as a secondary work phone from Nextel (pretty easy to get one for free from here for the walkie talkie).

newfieldgrafix
The day I get ads on my cell phone will be the day I get taken away. It's invasive, it's wrong and I'll fight it. Apple make enough as it is, financially raping ever customer they have, I'm sure the iPhone is no exception. To jump on the ad wagon is insult to injury.

Josh

Josh Avatar

Legendary Studio Member

May 2008
newfieldgrafix Avatar
Apr 9, 2010 12:12:28 GMT @newfieldgrafix said:
The day I get ads on my cell phone will be the day I get taken away. It's invasive, it's wrong and I'll fight it. Apple make enough as it is, financially raping ever customer they have, I'm sure the iPhone is no exception. To jump on the ad wagon is insult to injury.

The iAd platform will only be available in apps that are trials or "lite" versions of premium versions. This will give devs more incentive to make their free apps somewhat more detailed than what they are currently, as they will have a viable way to make money if the person chooses not to download the premium version of the app.

The OS itself won't have ads in it, just as OS X or Windows doesn't come preinstalled with ads (granted, OEMs add in their own crapware that does essentially that, but whatever).

newfieldgrafix
I know, but what I mean is what about in the future, when you start walking past a Starbucks, and suddenly your phone starts messing about telling you to go inside.

Ad culture needs to be stopped.

newBookmarkLockedFalling