Please login or register. Welcome to the Studio, guest!

Quick Links:

newBookmarkLockedFalling

Lucifer

Lucifer Avatar

Mythical Studio Member

Eunuch

August 2005
For me, it was this. This was said during a "debate" about Classic vs. Touch for iPod's.

for music, yea classic is better, ipod touch is like a computer that doesnt have a processor

I wish I could facepalm harder.

Simie

Simie Avatar

ProScripter

May 2006
I don't like it when people try to explain computer things and get them wrong. Especially when they try and do it to me. I just grimace at them because I don't have the heart to say how wrong they are.

EDIT: The only solution is to defenestrate them.

Last Edit: Apr 25, 2010 8:56:34 GMT by Simie

newfieldgrafix
xmsteel Avatar
Dumbest thing I heard in a while was:

"And I bought this 1943 Penny for $1.90"

Would you like me to go thru my IM logs? I have a record about 4 things you said before that in the same conversation...

Simie Avatar
I don't like it when people try to explain computer things and get them wrong. Especially when they try and do it to me. I just grimace at them because I don't have the heart to say how wrong they are.

EDIT: The only solution is to defenestrate them.

I love walking into any PC World, nationwide and immediately being the most qualified person in the building...

And when they try to "inform" me about computers, I like to destroy them - if more customers are around GREAT...

They are cowboys...

Aryna

Aryna Avatar

August 2009
Hmm..., Xuzi, a 1943 penny for $1.90 is a pretty good deal. Well, o course it does depend on it's condition. But, honestly, that's a pretty good deal. The two I have I could probably sell for about..., hm..., $40-50 for both.

So, yeah, it's probably this:
"And I bought this 1943 Penny for $1.90"

*facepalm*

Lucifer

Lucifer Avatar

Mythical Studio Member

Eunuch

August 2005
xmsteel Avatar
Aryna Avatar
Hmm..., Xuzi, a 1943 penny for $1.90 is a pretty good deal. Well, o course it does depend on it's condition. But, honestly, that's a pretty good deal. The two I have I could probably sell for about..., hm..., $40-50 for both.

So, yeah, it's probably this:

*facepalm*

They are worth 0.20c for regular ones. It's hard to sell one for over $3.00

$40-$50 is a lie, it's obviously either not the same penny, or your lying (or very uninformed)

Dumbest Thing I heard: "1943 Penny Worth $40"

Let's not start insulting each other over nothing. It's a penny, kids. A penny.

abZebras

abZebras Avatar

ProNation

June 2008
We had to write a paper in my english class about the practicality of the penny in day-to-day use, arguing for or against its termination as currency.

It kinda sucked.

Lucifer

Lucifer Avatar

Mythical Studio Member

Eunuch

August 2005
xmsteel Avatar
Lucifer Avatar

I cant help it, Im not the one that lies about a 0.20c penny being worth $40 when they sell on ebay for $1-$3

There's a difference between lying and being mistaken.

Jim

Jim Avatar
Josh was here.

Studio Member

September 2005
xmsteel Avatar
Lucifer Avatar

I cant help it, Im not the one that lies about a 0.20c penny being worth $40 when they sell on ebay for $1-$3

See the other thread. People out there want perfect coins, and will pay that kind of money for them. It is absolutely insane what collectors will pay for perfect or near-perfect coins.

I have one friend that is a coin collector (but he settles for lesser grade because he can't afford to pay that kind of money for a single coin, it's not worth it to him), but he's also met people willing to pay that much and more.

Stupidest things I've heard in awhile are things Xuzi have said about coin prices. I'm sorry but, calling someone a liar when every coin collecting site backs up what they said, and thinking that you know everything about that piece when you're just now starting? I can't imagine the arrogance and ignorance. I'm sorry, but usually you're at least a little more informed and don't reject something that you don't honestly know first hand. I'm kind of surprised.

Lucifer

Lucifer Avatar

Mythical Studio Member

Eunuch

August 2005
xmsteel Avatar
Jim Avatar

See the other thread. People out there want perfect coins, and will pay that kind of money for them. It is absolutely insane what collectors will pay for perfect or near-perfect coins.

I have one friend that is a coin collector (but he settles for lesser grade because he can't afford to pay that kind of money for a single coin, it's not worth it to him), but he's also met people willing to pay that much and more.

Stupidest things I've heard in awhile are things Xuzi have said about coin prices. I'm sorry but, calling someone a liar when every coin collecting site backs up what they said, and thinking that you know everything about that piece when you're just now starting? I can't imagine the arrogance and ignorance. I'm sorry, but usually you're at least a little more informed and don't reject something that you don't honestly know first hand. I'm kind of surprised.

shop.ebay.com/i.html?LH_BIN=1&_nkw=1943+Steel+Penny&_dmpt=Coins_US_Individual&_trksid=p3286.c0.m489

Find 1 over $4.

Because eBay is where the real collectors go. If the difference between near mint condition and mint condition is $50, you think anyone is gonna buy one online without personally inspecting it? No one would be able to sell one for what its actually worth over the internet.

Lucifer

Lucifer Avatar

Mythical Studio Member

Eunuch

August 2005
xmsteel Avatar
Lucifer Avatar

Because eBay is where the real collectors go. If the difference between near mint condition and mint condition is $50, you think anyone is gonna buy one online without personally inspecting it? No one would be able to sell one for what its actually worth over the internet.

Ebay is serious about scams, if it's crap, send it back. It's impossible that a $40 penny would only be worth $2, to EVERYONE selling one.

"They are worth about 12 to 15 cents each in ciruclated condition, and as much as 50 cents or more if Uncirculated." - coins.about.com/od/uscoins/f/silver_pennyFAQ.htm

"The easiest way to determine if a 1943 one cent is made of steel, and not copper, is to use a magnet. If it sticks to the magnet, it is not copper and is worth about 50 cents" - coins.thefuntimesguide.com/2006/01/rare_pennies.php

My point is that no one is going to risk buying a coin without first inspecting it, and no seller is going to risk an upset buyer because that generally leads to frozen PayPal accounts. PayPal and eBay almost always side with the buyer. Would you risk selling a coin that the person could very easily be displeased with and report you as a scammer for it?

Also, note the link James posted earlier. It says that mint condition ones can go for as much as $70. Obviously there's not many of these (hence the outrageous price), but that's exactly why you're not finding any for more than a couple bucks. These expensive ones are too rare to just stumble upon on eBay and are likely not even for sale, or if they are, they are being sold to actual coin collectors in person and not random folk on eBay.

Use some sense, Xuzi.

Last Edit: Apr 26, 2010 22:12:25 GMT by Lucifer

Eric

Eric Avatar

November 2005
She didn't say it was steel. It could be a copper one, which go for much more. In your quote and her's all it says is a 1943 penny. The steel ones are common, the copper ones aren't.

Lucifer

Lucifer Avatar

Mythical Studio Member

Eunuch

August 2005
Eric Avatar
She didn't say it was steel. It could be a copper one, which go for much more. In your quote and her's all it says is a 1943 penny. The steel ones are common, the copper ones aren't.

Yeah, but there's no way a copper one is only $40-$50. It'd be a couple figures more at least.

Eric

Eric Avatar

November 2005
Lucifer Avatar
Eric Avatar

Yeah, but there's no way a copper one is only $40-$50. It'd be a couple figures more at least.
Depends on condition.

Lucifer

Lucifer Avatar

Mythical Studio Member

Eunuch

August 2005
Eric Avatar
Lucifer Avatar

Depends on condition.

Yeah, I s'pose.

Eric

Eric Avatar

November 2005
Lucifer Avatar
Eric Avatar
Depends on condition.

Yeah, I s'pose.
Well you have to figure, a not very rare coin in amazing condition can go for a lot more, a very rare coin in bad condition can go for way less than mint price.

newBookmarkLockedFalling