Please login or register. Welcome to the Studio, guest!

Quick Links:

newBookmarkLockedFalling

Eric

Eric Avatar

November 2005
Any investors in here?

Anyways, I just got some online investing tools (first six months free since I went to a motivational seminar) and I'm going to an investing class soon to start learning. Early retirement FTW!

So... discuss.

Lucifer

Lucifer Avatar

Mythical Studio Member

Eunuch

August 2005
Nope.

/thread

Eric

Eric Avatar

November 2005
Hey, it doesn't have to be with real moneys. It could be paper trades. I know a lot of kids do a school project that's paper trades.

This is probably the wrong age crowd for this topic though :(

Lucifer

Lucifer Avatar

Mythical Studio Member

Eunuch

August 2005
I did do a stock market project as a senior. It was pretty fun, but I don't remember it too well, and that's about the extent of it.

newfieldgrafix
My Mom has shares in Tesco, that's the closest I get to "Investment".

It wouldn't be good for my health to do it.

Josh

Josh Avatar
Where were you when Reach fell?

Legendary Studio Member

May 2008
Yeah, my dad raised me on how the stock market works. He actually didn't teach me how to read books, he taught me how to read the financial section of the paper. I've done those mock stock things a few times, mostly in high school, and I was always able to gain about 20% in the month or so we were doing it.

The last two years have been an absolute brilliant time to buy stock if you have any extra cash. Like my dad says, "Buy when they're depressed, sell when they're happy," talking about other investors obviously. Like the company he's worked for for the last 23 years (and the company I am working at now) nearly went bankrupt last year. Stock prices dropped from their usual $14 to just $0.37 a share. The entire company was really worked up about getting rid of their shares before it hit rock bottom and they lost everything. Better to make something than nothing, right? Well my dad saw it differently and bought as much as he possibly could. They're back up to $12 now. In the month where the banking market crashed alone a year and a half ago, he raked in $50,000 off of smart buys like that. You risk losing everything really quick, sure. He did it with Kmart about a decade ago and Kmart went under and he lost his shares and roughly $10,000. You just gotta be smart about it. If you see McDonald's shares in a free fall, buy as much as you can. McDonald's is too strong to go under, you'll make a shit ton of money off of it. Same with most]/i] Fortune 500 companies. Obviously some will fail and you'll lose, but that's the risk you take.

I don't have any investments to my name right now. Just a bank account with $2500 in it. As soon as I get enough to pay back some of my student loans (which have ridiculous interest rates) and my next semester of college, though, I'm going to start playing around with it.

Eric

Eric Avatar

November 2005
Josh Avatar
Yeah, my dad raised me on how the stock market works. He actually didn't teach me how to read books, he taught me how to read the financial section of the paper. I've done those mock stock things a few times, mostly in high school, and I was always able to gain about 20% in the month or so we were doing it.

The last two years have been an absolute brilliant time to buy stock if you have any extra cash. Like my dad says, "Buy when they're depressed, sell when they're happy," talking about other investors obviously. Like the company he's worked for for the last 23 years (and the company I am working at now) nearly went bankrupt last year. Stock prices dropped from their usual $14 to just $0.37 a share. The entire company was really worked up about getting rid of their shares before it hit rock bottom and they lost everything. Better to make something than nothing, right? Well my dad saw it differently and bought as much as he possibly could. They're back up to $12 now. In the month where the banking market crashed alone a year and a half ago, he raked in $50,000 off of smart buys like that. You risk losing everything really quick, sure. He did it with Kmart about a decade ago and Kmart went under and he lost his shares and roughly $10,000. You just gotta be smart about it. If you see McDonald's shares in a free fall, buy as much as you can. McDonald's is too strong to go under, you'll make a shit ton of money off of it. Same with most]/i] Fortune 500 companies. Obviously some will fail and you'll lose, but that's the risk you take.

I don't have any investments to my name right now. Just a bank account with $2500 in it. As soon as I get enough to pay back some of my student loans (which have ridiculous interest rates) and my next semester of college, though, I'm going to start playing around with it.
Well today (tomorrow who knows) we went over when to buy (other than just "buy low sell high"). There's some good indicators that can be read as saying that there's a good chance the stock will have a significant increase (before the increase occurs, that is). The other thing that we looked at is what makes the criteria for a good stock. For instance, you mentioned McDonald's (and I'm not getting on your ass, you were just giving an example with no research), but they meet only one of the six main criteria for a worthwhile stock.

The other thing we learned about was a little bit about stock options, which is what I'm really interested in. Basically though, for the same risk you can get 10* the reward.

All-in-all, pretty fascinating learning. I'm definitely glad I signed up for the course.

Josh

Josh Avatar
Where were you when Reach fell?

Legendary Studio Member

May 2008
McDonald's is actually a strong stock to buy. Granted, you shouldn't anticipate high reward in the short term. It must be a long term buy. You can't expect to turn around and sell them next year and make anything worthwhile. 10 years from now? Sure.

McDonald's is what I've heard people call a "retirement stock." It has a slight risk (a batch of bad meat can take down a chain, look at Jack in the Box) but it should be increase proportionally with inflation perhaps a little faster, something a lot of bank accounts and mutual funds can't guarantee.

The "six main criteria for a worthwhile stock" are, no offense, investing for dummies. It's the safe way to invest. You have to look at things from different angles.

For example, penny stocks. They're cheap. Insanely cheap. Hell, they're called penny stocks. This is where you can make or break your bank account. You buy let's say a thousand shares of a penny stock. They fluctuate so much that you could easily make twice that in a day or two if you keep your eye on the market and sell at the right time. Of course, you could go and lose yourself roughly a grand doing that as well (the thing with penny stocks is that they are prone to bankruptcy), but it can be a great way to make quick buck. Conexant (CXT or CNXT I believe) used to be a great penny stock. It was the first stock I would buy in mock stocks and it would give me a return of 10% or so during the week before we are allowed to make changes. It's absolute crap now (My dad says they just did a 4 for 1 swap. Yes, most companies do splits and you end up with twice as many shares. Conexant actually took shares away), but it was good 3 or 4 years ago.

Last Edit: May 2, 2010 2:25:48 GMT by Josh

Eric

Eric Avatar

November 2005
Yeah, but buying McD's in a bearish market doesn't get you anything. In fact, you'll spend money on a stock just to watch it go neutral over the next five years. Hardly a good way to spend money. McDonald's might not be going anywhere for a while, but that still doesn't make it a worthwhile stock unless you plan on keeping it for 20 years, by which point you could have made more doing low-risk shorter term investments. If a stock doesn't have good fundamentals and industry support, it will rise slower than worthwhile stock when the market goes up and it will fall faster than worthwhile stock when the market goes down. Also, matching inflation (4%) or slightly better (5%-7%) really isn't even that good. Returns like that don't build profits.

The safe way to invest, what's wrong with that? You can still make a killing off of "safe investments." A 10% increase in the market could be a 100% increase in stock options. Even without that, one of the key points they've stressed in this is managing risk. If you can make 15% a year interest by buying and selling stock that meet the criteria, why the hell would you go with riskier ones? Especially if you're trading for the long-run.

Penny stocks might be cheap, but you can't really predict the way that they're going to move at all. High-risk and high-reward, sure, but you're gonna see far more losers than you do winners, even if the winner makes up for some of the losers.

Last Edit: May 2, 2010 3:00:52 GMT by Eric

newBookmarkLockedFalling