Please login or register. Welcome to the Studio, guest!

Quick Links:

newBookmarkLockedFalling

Josh

Josh Avatar
Where were you when Reach fell?

Legendary Studio Member

May 2008
That was a freaking awesome movie. Loved every second of it that didn't feature Gweneth Paltrow or Sam Rockwell talking. I was worried that it would be rushed and made into a (now) cliche, dark superhero film but it wasn't. The effects were impressive as hell, the acting top notch, the story so-so, and the villain awesome. The cameo after the credits was so well executed, too, that it put the Nick Fury cameo to shame.

Spoilers most likely follow. Don't read if you haven't seen it yet.

Not going to do a full review or anything, but I want to point some things out.

1. Robert Downey Jr. was as awesome as ever in it. His character was unbelievably cool and far more developed than it was in the first one. If there was one thing that the story did well (let's be honest, it wasn't a strong story but it worked and worked well), it was develop Stark. In the first film, he did a complete 180 and that was pretty much it. This time around... every few minutes you learn something new about Stark's character; not his history or anything like that, just the way his mind works and what he is thinking. Stark isn't as distant in this film as he was in the first.
2. Sam Rockwell was awesome. He was. You could hardly tell it was him. His character, however, may be the worst character I have ever come across in a Marvel film. Of course, that may be on purpose since it seems he will be the villain in either Avengers or in Iron Man 3.
3. The chronology of the films is a bit hard to decypher. Everyone knows that Captain America, Thor, Hulk, and Iron Man will all tie together through cameos and the blockbuster of all blockbuster superhero films, Avengers (to be directed by Joss Whedon!!!!!!). At the moment, it appears to go like this. Captain America: The First Avenger then Iron Man then Thor then Iron Man 2 then Hulk and finally Avengers. Or at least that is the impression I am getting. I know that both Iron Man films happened before the Hulk, though, simply because of Stark's cameo
4. Black Widow. Scarlett Johansen deserves her own film. She played the character perfectly. Her action scenes were entirely kickass. The character itself is incredibly cool. And she is freaking hot as hell.
5. Mickey Rourke was quite possibly the greatest evil genius I have ever seen, barring, perhaps, Walternate on Fringe. He was as brilliant as Stark and without anything on his mind except revenge. Rourke was absolutely awesome and I cannot wait to see more of him in the coming years.

That's all I got for now. Time to go back to work. lol. What did you all think?

Lucifer

Lucifer Avatar

Mythical Studio Member

Eunuch

August 2005
The only thing I didn't like was the short and slightly anti-climactic final fight between him, War Machine, and Whiplash. Other than that, this movie blew me away. Especially the end credits scene. Good god. I screamed in the theaters. I saw this movie in IMAX and it was amazing.

Also, spoilers. Don't fucking read this thread if you haven't seen it. That's just obvious.

Last Edit: May 8, 2010 19:12:48 GMT by Lucifer

Josh

Josh Avatar

Legendary Studio Member

May 2008
Lucifer Avatar
The only thing I didn't like was the short and slightly anti-climactic final fight between him, War Machine, and Whiplash. Other than that, this movie blew me away. Especially the end credits scene. Good god. I screamed in the theaters. I saw this movie in IMAX and it was amazing.

Also, spoilers. Don't fucking read this thread if you haven't seen it. That's just obvious.

Yeah, the final fight scene was too short. I also wish they had referred to Rhodie once as "War Machine." The only mention of that was, "Are you ready to be the war machine?" and that was it. Same thing with Whiplash. I think the only time that was said was after Happy drove Rourke into the fence and Stark asked Pepper if she was all right. I get that most comic names are corny, but you have to refer to the people by their alias, you know? Same thing with Black Widow. Not once did they say that in the movie. They said her real name and her cover, but not Black Widow. Kinda sad because those are actually pretty badass names.

And yeah, the end credits were great. I knew it was Thor as soon as they mentioned he was going to New Mexico (It had to be either Captain America or Thor, and Captain America is currently frozen in a glacier so it was obviously Thor). The second they showed the crater, though, I screamed out Thor and the 20 or so people that stayed didn't know what I was talking about. Only three or four of them even knew it was Thor after seeing the hammer.

Off topic, but I am no longer totally pissed off that Skarsgard didn't get the role as Thor.

Lucifer

Lucifer Avatar

Mythical Studio Member

Eunuch

August 2005
There was one other mention of War Machine, but it was another sort of pun than an actual name.

Josh

Josh Avatar

Legendary Studio Member

May 2008
I don't recall them saying it again. Just when Rhodie steals the Mark II (I think it was the II. Stark's suit at the time was the III, I believe) and is fighting Stark.

Arucard

Arucard Avatar
I am the shadow, and the smoke in your eyes, I am the ghost, that hides in the night

Legendary Studio Member

September 2006
Iron man 2 was freakin great nuff said.

Josh Avatar
4. Black Widow. Scarlett Johansen deserves her own film. She played the character perfectly. Her action scenes were entirely kickass. The character itself is incredibly cool. And she is freaking hot as hell.

Yes, Yes and more Yes

Exanium

Exanium Avatar
We so excited.

Official Member

May 2010
Oh my god, I forced my whole family to stay after and wait until after the credits and they almost didn't. They thanked me so much afterword: THOR! None of my friends waited until after the credits :P Sucks for them.

I predict that Marvel is making a GIANT Marvel movie with, HULK, CAPTAIN AMERICA, THOR, and of course, IRON MAN (possibly Spiderman, but I kind of doubt it)

Lucifer

Lucifer Avatar

Mythical Studio Member

Eunuch

August 2005
Exanium Avatar
Oh my god, I forced my whole family to stay after and wait until after the credits and they almost didn't. They thanked me so much afterword: THOR! None of my friends waited until after the credits :P Sucks for them.

I predict that Marvel is making a GIANT Marvel movie with, HULK, CAPTAIN AMERICA, THOR, and of course, IRON MAN (possibly Spiderman, but I kind of doubt it)

The Avengers movie has been confirmed for some time now. :P

Josh

Josh Avatar

Legendary Studio Member

May 2008
Exanium Avatar

Yeah, been confirmed for a few years. :P Avengers is Iron Man, Thor, Captain America, Hulk (who may or may not be the villain), Black Widow, Nick Fury, and likely others.

Marvel has no control over Spiderman anymore. Sony owns the movie rights.

Btw, Joss Whedon is directing and has pretty much been put in charge of the Marvel film division like Nolan was put in charge of DC's film division. :D

Lucifer

Lucifer Avatar

Mythical Studio Member

Eunuch

August 2005
Josh Avatar
Exanium Avatar

Yeah, been confirmed for a few years. :P Avengers is Iron Man, Thor, Captain America, Hulk (who may or may not be the villain), Black Widow, Nick Fury, and likely others.

Marvel has no control over Spiderman anymore. Sony owns the movie rights.

Btw, Joss Whedon is directing and has pretty much been put in charge of the Marvel film division like Nolan was put in charge of DC's film division. :D

What about the Spiderman reboot? Is that Sony, too? I know both Spiderman and Wolverine came later to the Avengers (and I believe Mr. Fantastic), but considering that Spiderman is getting a reboot, Wolverine has his Origins movie, and the Fantastic 4 is just being scrapped (for obvious reasons), I have no idea if I should expect them to be in the movie, whether as major roles or cameos. One was canned, one got a new movie, and another is starting over. So on the one hand, I expect something. On the other hand, I don't.

Josh

Josh Avatar

Legendary Studio Member

May 2008
There will be no crossovers for those. Fox owns Wolverine/X-men and Fantastic 4 (which is also being rebooted) and Sony owns Spiderman. They can do whatever the hell they want with those series.

Lucifer

Lucifer Avatar

Mythical Studio Member

Eunuch

August 2005
I'm fairly positive that Marvel is still a part of those movie series nonetheless, so I wouldn't completely rule out crossovers, though I agree that it probably is unlikely.

Arucard

Arucard Avatar
I am the shadow, and the smoke in your eyes, I am the ghost, that hides in the night

Legendary Studio Member

September 2006
I know this is a bit off topic but what about justice league movie? i heard a while back that it was being looked into but never heard.

Josh

Josh Avatar

Legendary Studio Member

May 2008
At the moment, there's little chance for a Justice League film. The Superman reboot is a few years off still. Batman does not exist within a universe; Gotham is Gotham and that's that. Wonder Woman is still in preproduction and may never get made. Hawkgirl... right. They're making the Green Lantern film about the wrong Green Lantern (the film will be about Hal Jordan and most people associate Justice League with John Stewart now). Flash movie may or may never get made. Martian Manhunter has little chance of getting a film. Aquaman is the worst superhero ever created.

Justice League is great. Problem is that half the team are not cool enough to hold a film together that focuses on them. And you can't have a Justice League without introducing the characters ahead of time in other films like Marvel is doing. You can introduce a few in the film itself, but not half of the main characters.

Last Edit: May 15, 2010 20:57:07 GMT by Josh

Lucifer

Lucifer Avatar

Mythical Studio Member

Eunuch

August 2005
Josh Avatar
Aquaman is the worst superhero ever created.

You take that back! >:(

newBookmarkLockedFalling