Please login or register. Welcome to the Studio, guest!

Quick Links:

newBookmarkLockedFalling

Andrew McGivery

Andrew McGivery Avatar
Formerly Fredy

Legendary Studio Member

Male

September 2005

So, basically, because of a group on facebook called "Draw Mohammed day", Pakistan has banned facebook.

All I have to say, is stfu and stop whining. The End.

www.allfacebook.com/2010/05/pakistan-bans-facebook/
k

Lucifer

Lucifer Avatar

Mythical Studio Member

Eunuch

August 2005
I'm part of that. I fully intend to draw Mohammed fucking something tomorrow. Hello new profile picture.

Chris

Chris Avatar

Head Coder

June 2005
Really? REALLY? Wow. :P That's horrible, yet hilarious.

JD

JD Avatar

June 2008
WWIII is so going to be the FaceBook war.

Still, Mohammed followers should be thankful he has another day to be worshiped :/

Lucifer

Lucifer Avatar

Mythical Studio Member

Eunuch

August 2005
Chris Avatar
Really? REALLY? Wow. :P That's horrible, yet hilarious.

It is supposed to show that we're not afraid of the terrorist threats people have received like the Danish cartoonists, South Park creators, etc. So the idea is to get so many people to draw Mohammed that they couldn't possibly attack a single source, and we show how many of us just don't give a fuck about what they say.

Personally, I like it. I'm just going to extra mile to make him fuck something.

newfieldgrafix
The guy who started the "Draw Mo Day" is my nemesis's best buddy. I like him.

Pakistan fail, they're just proving his point...

abZebras

abZebras Avatar

ProNation

June 2008
I think a national ban for a group such as this on such a massive website is a little much, I mean if you look at the two main groups by the numbers, more are against the whole deal. It's obvious that there his a large contingent of protesters that will boycott the site for the day anyway, and that's alright. But imo it should be your choice.

For - www.facebook.com/pages/Everyb...21369914543425
Against - www.facebook.com/pages/AGAINS...13267462046186

I think turning too much into a LOOK WHAT I CAN DO LOL BILL OF RIGHTS, and is therefore just silly and futile

--
But i guess it's all srs bsnss because the Caps lock ratio of Against:For is greater than 1.

Eric

Eric Avatar

November 2005
As much as it is an in your face action against the terrorists and the extremists, I feel that it's very disrespectful to any other Muslims. It is against their religion to view, draw, or make any depiction of Muhammad. Putting up that many drawings on a place where it's unlikely that at least some won't see it is a slap in the face. Again, sure, the extremists might need that slap, but the others don't.

Freedom of speech really only works when it's tempered with good judgment. I myself am an advocate of not avoiding certain wording in order to not offend someone who is overly sensitive, but it's not as though I meant it in an insulting manner to begin with. The whole idea of this is an insult to a large number of innocent people.

Sure it may be saying, "We're not scared of you terrorists, try to stop all of us." But it's also saying, "Fuck you Islam, we don't give a shit about you or your beliefs."

Lucifer

Lucifer Avatar

Mythical Studio Member

Eunuch

August 2005
Eric Avatar
Sure it may be saying, "We're not scared of you terrorists, try to stop all of us." But it's also saying, "Fuck you Islam, we don't give a shit about you or your beliefs."

It's the 21st century. "Fuck you [insert religion], we don't give a shit about you or your beliefs," should be the appropriate response to ANY religion.

And with that, I take my leave from this discussion. I'm not gonna get into that debate. But that is my two cents. So while you think this is having more of an effect than the original intent, I would argue that added effect is a positive, not a negative.

Eric

Eric Avatar

November 2005
Lucifer Avatar
Eric Avatar

It's the 21st century. "Fuck you [insert religion], we don't give a shit about you or your beliefs," should be the appropriate response to ANY religion.

And with that, I take my leave from this discussion. I'm not gonna get into that debate. But that is my two cents. So while you think this is having more of an effect than the original intent, I would argue that added effect is a positive, not a negative.
It's not a matter of the specific religion or beliefs, but the people associated with them. Do you not believe in being respectful and courteous to other people? It's ok to just go around insulting people? If that's the mentality that you have, then that's a really piece of shit mentality.

Lucifer

Lucifer Avatar

Mythical Studio Member

Eunuch

August 2005
Eric Avatar
Lucifer Avatar

It's not a matter of the specific religion or beliefs, but the people associated with them. Do you not believe in being respectful and courteous to other people? It's ok to just go around insulting people? If that's the mentality that you have, then that's a really piece of shit mentality.

I believe that religion is a thing worthy of disrespect, just as being a member of the KKK is, or any other hate group you can think of. Religion stands in the way of science, disrespects non-believers, and promotes racism, slavery, pedophilia, violence, genocide, bigotry, and baseless mythologies. Look, for someone who believes in that or something similar, I can see how it seems like I'm just being a disrespectful asshole, but take the name Islam or Christianity out of it. Just imagine an organization like the one I described. Would you for one second consider being courteous to people like that. Not just people who believe that, but people who actively try to spread it as well.

Personally, I would not. No, I wouldn't go out of my way to insult them for it, but if I happen to say or do something and someone of that group takes offense, I have zero remorse for that, because they deserve it. A perfect example (back to the KKK thing). If I said, "Racists are bigots and suck," and a member of the KKK took offense, would you chastise me? What if I said, "Allah doesn't exist and Koran is full of shit," and a Muslim took offense? Then would you? Because I honestly cannot see the difference between the two.

Eric

Eric Avatar

November 2005
Lucifer Avatar
Religion stands in the way of science, disrespects non-believers, and promotes racism, slavery, pedophilia, violence, genocide, bigotry, and baseless mythologies.

This statement is loaded with bullshit. Religion itself does none of that. You are judging the entirety of all religions off of your experience with (largely) Christians (not with Christianity, the religion is far more pure than the followers to a large degree). People commit atrocities in the name of religion, but the original teachings are against it. Is religion at fault, or are people? It's easy as hell to look and see that they used the religion as an excuse, but what that the reason? No, greed was.

Stands in the way of science? Perhaps the Christian church used to, but that's the only case. Now? Hell no. Plenty of scientists believe in God and are able to make just as good of contributions. Sure, I'll admit that the literalist Bible readers caused some problems back in the day, but that was their own ignorance. Believing in God does not conflict with science at all. They are of two entirely separate realms. One is based upon the physical and one is based upon the spiritual.

Disrespects non-believers? I've seen it happen, but more often than not I see atheists such as yourself who bash religion. Probably 9/10 of the arguments between atheists and theists that I have seen have been spawned by the atheists. Of course there are exceptions, but most truly religious people do not go around flaunting their religion in other people's faces. Sure extremists exist, but the part does not equal the whole. Moderate religious people hate extremists more than you do, because they also make the entire religion look bad. Is it though? No. It's just the extremists.

Promotes racism? Really? The religion itself does no such thing. Of course there are bigots in the religion who are racist, but there are also bigots who are atheist.

Slavery? Sure Bible quotes were used to justify it, but they were taken out of context. Islam allowed prisoners of war, but the Qur'an says that one of the best acts that can be done is to free a slave.

Pedophilia? Are you getting on the sick priests about this? Is that really caused by religion, or by people?

Violence? Genocide?
The Golden Rule, a core teaching in almost every religion:
"In everything, do to others what you would want them to do to you. This is what is written in the Law and in the Prophets."
"Never impose on others what you would not choose for yourself."
"One who, while himself seeking happiness, oppresses with violence other beings who also desire happiness, will not attain happiness hereafter."
"One should never do that to another which one regards as injurious to one’s own self. This, in brief, is the rule of dharma. Other behavior is due to selfish desires."
"None of you [truly] believes until he wishes for his brother what he wishes for himself."
"You shall not take vengeance or bear a grudge against your kinsfolk. Love your neighbor as yourself: I am the LORD."

I won't even get into the mythology bit, there's no point in arguing that.

Religion itself is pure. The believers are what are corrupt and are what distort the religious teachings. It's easy to blame it on religion or religious differences, but it all comes down to the people.

You want to know what religion is? Ignore what people say. Read the Bible, the Qur'an, the Avesta, the Vedas. The followers are merely the cover, the teachings are what religion truly is.

Lucifer

Lucifer Avatar

Mythical Studio Member

Eunuch

August 2005
Eric, I disagree with everything you say and I could very easily bring up examples of everything I'm talking about, but this is getting way off track which is why I said I was gonna avoid this debate in the first place. I only responded again to clarify. But at this point, let's agree to disagree for the sake of the other members. If you REALLY wanna keep going, make a thread for it, or PM me, or whatever.

Last Edit: May 20, 2010 23:12:06 GMT by Lucifer

Chris

Chris Avatar

Head Coder

June 2005
Thanks for taking control of that Luci. :) Eric, Luci: If you guys want to debate, by all means, create a new Debate of the Week thread. I haven't seen Josh do one in a while, so I'm willing to let two respected members take a shot at it. ;)

newBookmarkLockedFalling