Please login or register. Welcome to the Studio, guest!

Quick Links:

newBookmarkLockedFalling

Eric

Eric Avatar

November 2005
Why do people consistently say that threads go "off topic"? Really they just go "off title." Topics move and shift with conversation, they have a flow, and sometimes they tangent and come back, but other times they just stay off title, at which point they die because somebody was to get back "on topic." Screw it, I say let the conversation happen and live, even if it doesn't match the original post. Our minds don't think in one topic segments, so let's not try to make them.

Eh?

Chris

Chris Avatar

Head Coder

June 2005
Honestly, I agree. Have you ever seen me lock a topic for being significantly off topic? Not really. I might say "start a new thread" or something, but I never lock 'em. :P

newfieldgrafix
Yup. It's like that "Multi Language" thread. It's currently on the difference between Japanese and Chinese. It's curved and still with the theme. As far as I see, it's still on topic; the topic is just changing.

If someone were to post:

"Did anyone catch last night's episode of Spongebob?"

That would be off topic in my view.

I rarely lock topics. I just delete spam, junk, etc.

I always go by the #1 forum admin rule: "Every thread has the potential to create discussion"

Andrew McGivery

Andrew McGivery Avatar
Formerly Fredy

Legendary Studio Member

Male

September 2005
the point of a forum is to start conversation, and watch the conversation grow. A conversation won't grow if it sticks to one topic. Has to flow.
k

Eric

Eric Avatar

November 2005
Chris Avatar
Honestly, I agree. Have you ever seen me lock a topic for being significantly off topic? Not really. I might say "start a new thread" or something, but I never lock 'em. :P
Yeah, but that's what I mean. Who really cares if it's in a new topic? Then all relevant information isn't in one place.

Josh

Josh Avatar
Where were you when Reach fell?

Legendary Studio Member

May 2008
I really think we should derail this thread and talk about waffles just for the irony of it all.

Eric

Eric Avatar

November 2005
Josh Avatar
I really think we should derail this thread and talk about waffles just for the irony of it all.
And why not sir. Waffles, after all, are the most delicious breakfast item. Especially with whipped cream and some scrumptious maple syrup.

newfieldgrafix
Josh Avatar

The irony being you haven't locked it yet...

In fact, I'm gonna pay Chris 300 points to change your profile to "Lock-Down-Josh"...

:-X

Josh

Josh Avatar
Where were you when Reach fell?

Legendary Studio Member

May 2008
On MacThemes, that title would work. On here? I lock maybe 10 topics a year. :P

Chris

Chris Avatar

Head Coder

June 2005
Josh Avatar

And then 2 in one day. :P

Eric: I said significantly off topic. As in, baseball in a thread dedicated to the relief efforts of Katrina. :P Not very related, in most cases. If by reading the thread I see a clear relationship, then I don't care and let it go;

Eric

Eric Avatar

November 2005
Chris Avatar
Josh Avatar

Eric: I said significantly off topic. As in, baseball in a thread dedicated to the relief efforts of Katrina. :P Not very related, in most cases. If by reading the thread I see a clear relationship, then I don't care and let it go;
Yeah, but if there's ongoing discussion, my point is, who cares? Some things have directly related connectors, some people skip the 5 steps their mind took getting from one topic to another. I'm just saying let the conversation grow in whatever direction it's taken.

Chris

Chris Avatar

Head Coder

June 2005
Like I said, if it gets there, I let it go. If someone brings something completely random in, not so much. :P

Xylish

Xylish Avatar

Ghost Admin

June 2005
Eric Avatar
Chris Avatar

Yeah, but if there's ongoing discussion, my point is, who cares? Some things have directly related connectors, some people skip the 5 steps their mind took getting from one topic to another. I'm just saying let the conversation grow in whatever direction it's taken.

Just be direct with me if I made you tick about my comment in the wImg v3 thread of killing the whole thread with my comment of saying that the thread is off topic.

But hey, at least I didn't go on a lockfest. :)
Ex-admin, designer and founder of Studio Zero. Currently working as a Dentist :)

Eric

Eric Avatar

November 2005
Xylish Avatar
Eric Avatar

Just be direct with me if I made you tick about my comment in the wImg v3 thread of killing the whole thread with my comment of saying that the thread is off topic.

But hey, at least I didn't go on a lockfest. :)
Nah, not really. Just that I've seen other threads killed when it's been suggested that people get back on topic.

Tobias

Tobias Avatar

Dedicated Member

November 2006
Raisins are nutritious.
#intj (Mastermind)^

newBookmarkLockedFalling