Please login or register. Welcome to the Studio, guest!

Quick Links:

newBookmarkLockedFalling

Deko

Deko Avatar

October 2005
So dunno if you lot have seen Proboards Support lately. They're trying out a new ad option that's going to be available to PB admins in a couple of days. The new 300x250 ad replaces the original 728x90 up top, and allows for the admin to place links or html to the right of the ad. Here's some (better) info:

support.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=pbgt&action=display&thread=367277&page=1

The big thing about the new ad option is that it's supposed to offer flexibility with forum designs that are a bit smaller in width (less than 728px). This is also supposed to eliminate the need to move the welcome table under the ads, which is against Proboards TOS. And here's the post dooming just about every RPG forum admin to rearrange their layout :P:

support.proboards.com/index.cgi?action=display&board=pbgt&thread=367277&page=5#4153272

Last Edit: Aug 26, 2010 6:13:04 GMT by Deko

Andrew McGivery

Andrew McGivery Avatar
Formerly Fredy

Legendary Studio Member

Male

September 2005
Are you fucking kidding me?

"Moving the welcome table down moves the ads up which is a violation of the TOS."

Isn't having the ads the first thing a user sees at the top of the page a GOOD thing? O_o Most advertisers will pay MORE if their ads are at the very top of the page.

nice fail, pb.
k

Benjamin

Benjamin Avatar
#YOCO... You only color once.

Elite Mod

November 2006
There's no way in hell that having your welcome table below the ad violates TOS.

Nobody EVER moves the ad, above the table, they always move the table below the ad. So the ad isn't being modified. So TOS isn't being broken. What a dumb rule.

And what a dumb feature, they're so excited about having the recent replies with it.... talk about clutter.
Lucifer Avatar
I'm gonna start dishing out internet beatings if people keep it up with this 4chan shit, I swear.

Josh

Josh Avatar
Where were you when Reach fell?

Legendary Studio Member

May 2008
I really want to have a chat with their designer about basic UI and UX principles. I really do. They have absolutely no idea about the basics of interface design and how the human eye and brain works.

Andrew McGivery

Andrew McGivery Avatar
Formerly Fredy

Legendary Studio Member

Male

September 2005
No but seriously I'm not changing any of my shit because the are stupid enough to say that moving or removing a table is modifying the ads. that is bullshit.
k

Scorpian

Scorpian Avatar

[ Bracket Admin ]

April 2006
Andrew McGivery Avatar
Isn't having the ads the first thing a user sees at the top of the page a GOOD thing? O_o Most advertisers will pay MORE if their ads are at the very top of the page.

Uhhhh no? As far as I know, the space between the header and content of the page is a MUCH higher traffic spot than the very top.

As for the format, all I can say is "uhhhhhhhhhhhhh." Josh is right. Does the designer have any idea what he's doing? That looks absolutely horrible on a large screen. It also looks even worse when it's small. Wasn't the entire goal to create something that fits in better with smaller designs? There's no way that'll look even remotely better. :(
wat

Josh

Josh Avatar

Legendary Studio Member

May 2008
Scorpian Avatar
Andrew McGivery Avatar

Uhhhh no? As far as I know, the space between the header and content of the page is a MUCH higher traffic spot than the very top.

As for the format, all I can say is "uhhhhhhhhhhhhh." Josh is right. Does the designer have any idea what he's doing? That looks absolutely horrible on a large screen. It also looks even worse when it's small. Wasn't the entire goal to create something that fits in better with smaller designs? There's no way that'll look even remotely better. :(

Pretty much. The new (I guess old since he was their original designer, right?) has no idea what he's doing. His graphics would have been outdated in 2001, he has no idea how to create efficient white space and contrast, and he has no idea how the human eye reads. Proboards is in trouble with him at the helm.

Allan

Allan Avatar
It's All Good

Dedicated Member

March 2006
I have to agree i think it's a set down not a step up.
trying to think of what to make

Chris

Chris Avatar

Head Coder

June 2005
My opinion...

Banning welcome table moving: BS. That's not why people move the WT. People move it to better fit their design, not because the ads are "too large." He's looking at a singular cause and applying it to a global cause.

Smaller ads: Another option is always nice, but I can't see myself using it.

"recent replies": Why make it smaller ad only? That annoys me. This should be a globally enabled feature.

UI: See above comments. :P

Joe Kerr

Joe Kerr Avatar
Why So Serious?

June 2010
They fixed the welcome table problem...boy were they getting smoked last night

You may still move the welcome table YAY
Building Your Proboard, a Basic Guide to Getting Your Forum Started

Need somewhere to host files?[/url]

Deko

Deko Avatar

October 2005
Shame. It was kinda fun watching everyone tug at papa Clinger's pant leg to change the policy back. :P Looks like he caved.

Xylish

Xylish Avatar

Ghost Admin

June 2005
Deko Avatar
Shame. It was kinda fun watching everyone tug at papa Clinger's pant leg to change the policy back. :P Looks like he caved.

Haha.

Cause I do have to agree with Scorp, Josh and Ben. They have pretty much said what I want to say:
  • New ad feature: So? I do not really see a use for it for us atm.
  • Moving welcome table under ad: Been around for 5 years and with code done that. BS. Used it before to fit my design.
  • Proboards support designer whom placed that recent posts: The whole place is full of texts and you're going to put more?!? The place looks bad and busy enough as it is and they're making people ADHD!

Ex-admin, designer and founder of Studio Zero. Currently working as a Dentist :)

Chris

Chris Avatar

Head Coder

June 2005
Glad they changed that back. Good choice honestly.

Josh

Josh Avatar

Legendary Studio Member

May 2008
xmsteel Avatar
A tiny bit off topic but...

Beings ads being above banner is against ToS, is that why I cant find codes to make the ad above the banner anymore? I was looking for those since like, 3 months ago.

Moving the ads (or altering them in any way imaginable) is against TOS. Moving the banner below the ads, however, is not against TOS, even though they tried to do that this week.

Chris

Chris Avatar

Head Coder

June 2005
Xuzi: Based on what Josh said, that's why it's called "Move the welcome table below ads" or something similar. :)

newBookmarkLockedFalling