Please login or register. Welcome to the Studio, guest!

Quick Links:

newBookmarkLockedFalling

Aryna

Aryna Avatar

August 2009
So, I just got done with a job interview for a web design gig (and to think, I only have about 3 months of experience... O.o), and it was conducted over facebook. Just facebook. I found that kind of weird. It did make it easier on me. But, has anybody else had an interview be conducted over facebook?

Josh

Josh Avatar
Where were you when Reach fell?

Legendary Studio Member

May 2008
I'm honestly not sure about the legality of that. There are strict ways you have to do interviews and over Facebook doesn't seem like a good way, especially since it exposes the interviewer to insane amounts of personal data. I really doubt that was legal...

Aryna

Aryna Avatar

August 2009
Well, yeah, but, that's where it was conducted. Plus, it wasn't a formal interview, she basically already knew that she was going to hire me, she just needed to know my rates and wanted to see examples. And, I'm a freelancer, so it's not like I'm with an actual company.

The person I'm doing it for I already kind of knew. Plus, a lot of companies do look at facebook and myspace pages, so I keep mine clean, and nobody is going to get a lot of personal information off of it. Pretty much just address and email. Things that an employer would want to know.

Zac

Zac Avatar

January 2008
I can understand people checking out facebook, especially with the popularity and all, but honestly, I don't agree with it. It's a job for heaven's sake, just look at the resume/portfolio. Personal life shouldn't matter.

Doing an interview over msn seems a bit more acceptable, but facebook....:S

Aryna

Aryna Avatar

August 2009
I don't know. I guess I probably shouldn't have been that surprised, but, yeah.... I just found it kind of interesting. I got the job too! I'm really excited.

newfieldgrafix
I've seen it a few times, Aryna. I had an interview for a position with "Remploy" to recruit and interview via Facebook.

Chris

Chris Avatar

Head Coder

June 2005
There's a reason my facebook is set to 100% private. :P Searching my name didn't even find it when Amy tried to find me last week.

On that note, an interview over Facebook is decidedly weird. I won't deny it. A phone interview would have been just as easy and much quicker, plus without FB chat's glitches. There is the lack of a log to look back on though.

Xylish

Xylish Avatar

Ghost Admin

June 2005
Firstly, Anyra. Congrates on getting the job.

Secondly..I still feel having FB interview is wierd. As Chris have mentioned: The chat glitches and the inability to log the interview.

At least the company was already consider hiring you. If a dental clinic hired me via this way, I would struck them off my list of employers and find the next clinic.
Ex-admin, designer and founder of Studio Zero. Currently working as a Dentist :)

Aryna

Aryna Avatar

August 2009
Xylish Avatar
Firstly, Anyra. Congrates on getting the job.

Secondly..I still feel having FB interview is wierd. As Chris have mentioned: The chat glitches and the inability to log the interview.

At least the company was already consider hiring you. If a dental clinic hired me via this way, I would struck them off my list of employers and find the next clinic.

It was via pms, not via chat, well, correction, it started out via chat, but then I asked if we could do it over pms instead, for that very reason. And thanks! I'm really excited! It's my first official job.

Eric

Eric Avatar

November 2005
Psh, you people are stupid. You don't need to hide FB privacy, you leave it wide open and create other fake accounts that post things on your profile like:

"Hey Eric, it was really heroic how you risked your life to pull me out of my burning car right before it exploded. Always in your debt, ...."

"Eric, awesome job on those TPS reports the other day, your work is outstanding. Anyone would be lucky to have you as an employee!"

Bag 'em and tag 'em.

Simie

Simie Avatar

ProScripter

May 2006
Eric Avatar
Psh, you people are stupid. You don't need to hide FB privacy, you leave it wide open and create other fake accounts that post things on your profile like:

"Hey Eric, it was really heroic how you risked your life to pull me out of my burning car right before it exploded. Always in your debt, ...."

"Eric, awesome job on those TPS reports the other day, your work is outstanding. Anyone would be lucky to have you as an employee!"

Bag 'em and tag 'em.

Until they check the friend count + join date of the people leaving the comments.

Xylish

Xylish Avatar

Ghost Admin

June 2005
Eric Avatar

Bag 'em and tag 'em.

Man, you sounded like an Cyanide and Happiness comic there Eric...very nice! :D

Aryna. Is it alright to tell us what your job description involves? Got any cool upcoming web projects? :)
Ex-admin, designer and founder of Studio Zero. Currently working as a Dentist :)

Eric

Eric Avatar

November 2005
Simie Avatar
Eric Avatar

Bag 'em and tag 'em.

Until they check the friend count + join date of the people leaving the comments.

Simple, either make those profiles private OR make them all friends with each other. (Some odd 200 or so).

Chris

Chris Avatar

Head Coder

June 2005
Eric Avatar

Bag 'em and tag 'em.

You forgot to mention that you even remembered the cover on the TPS report. ;)

newBookmarkLockedFalling