Please login or register. Welcome to the Studio, guest!

Quick Links:

newBookmarkLockedFalling

Josh

Josh Avatar
Where were you when Reach fell?

Legendary Studio Member

May 2008
When it comes to mid-to-high range laptops, you've already eliminated two of the three brands worth looking at. The top three in terms of quality are HP, Sony, and Apple. Higher end Dells are pretty good too. HP and Dell can make some pretty flimsy cases, though.

Nocando

Nocando Avatar
clearnonsense.com

Official Member

September 2009
Toshibas are decent. Honestly, anything you can get your hands on that is up to date will be nice to have. I suggest you wait untill black friday and pick yourself something up depending on what the sales are.

If you really want a steal, you might have to line up outside of best buy for a day and half and be amongst the first 10 or so people in line when they hand out vouchers the morning of black friday. Thats what I do with a group of friends every year, and we just flip whatever we can get our hands on through ebay, usually coming near doubling what we spent.
Recent Articles:

12.08.10 - Top 25 Albums of 2010

12.08.10 - Suicide in Ukraine Caught on Tape MUST SEE!!

Josh

Josh Avatar

Legendary Studio Member

May 2008
A Pentium processor (single core at that) and a GMA integrated graphics chip? Bah. That thing was outdated five years ago.

Last Edit: Oct 26, 2010 18:01:01 GMT by Josh

Nocando

Nocando Avatar
clearnonsense.com

Official Member

September 2009
that link did not even take me a laptop. but based on what TS said, hes right
Recent Articles:

12.08.10 - Top 25 Albums of 2010

12.08.10 - Suicide in Ukraine Caught on Tape MUST SEE!!

Josh

Josh Avatar

Legendary Studio Member

May 2008
Where are you getting that from?

Intel® Pentium® processor T4400
Features a 800MHz system bus, 1MB cache and 2.2GHz processor speed.

That's what you linked to processor wise.

And at this point, a single core i7 (which doesn't exist, btw) would be worse than a dual core Pentium depending on clock speed. We're to the point where clock speed doesn't matter as much as number of cores.

Josh

Josh Avatar

Legendary Studio Member

May 2008

Not sure what the hell you are looking at. That's the link you posted (and I have tried on two different comps now)

Jim

Jim Avatar
Josh was here.

Studio Member

September 2005
Shoot for an i5 if you can, and specifically, an i5 quad-core instead of the dual-core one.

Lucifer

Lucifer Avatar

Mythical Studio Member

Eunuch

August 2005
Josh Avatar
When it comes to mid-to-high range laptops, you've already eliminated two of the three brands worth looking at. The top three in terms of quality are HP, Sony, and Apple. Higher end Dells are pretty good too. HP and Dell can make some pretty flimsy cases, though.

If you replace Sony and Apple with Toshiba and Asus, you would be correct.

So yeah, HP, Toshiba, Asus. Hard to go wrong with one of those.

Josh

Josh Avatar

Legendary Studio Member

May 2008
Lucifer Avatar
Josh Avatar

I can understand Toshiba, maybe. But Asus? Never heard their name thrown out there when it comes to mid-to-high end machines.

Jim

Jim Avatar
Josh was here.

Studio Member

September 2005
xmsteel Avatar
Jim Avatar
Shoot for an i5 if you can, and specifically, an i5 quad-core instead of the dual-core one.

How about this one:

Intel® Core™ i5 @ 2.4GHz
4GB RAM - 500GB HDD
NVIDIA GeForce 310M with Optimus technology

Processor is more than likely fine, but you didn't give a product/model number for it. However, I've not really heard complaints about the processors, but it's always a good idea to search the components and read what people say about them.

Josh

Josh Avatar

Legendary Studio Member

May 2008
He was referring to the components themselves. Never go by Best Buy, either. Always go by Newegg, CNET, or Amazon (preferably Newegg, though). Their customer bases are far more tech knowledgable and much more picky. You'll get better reviews through those three sites.

Josh

Josh Avatar

Legendary Studio Member

May 2008
xmsteel Avatar
Josh Avatar
He was referring to the components themselves. Never go by Best Buy, either. Always go by Newegg, CNET, or Amazon (preferably Newegg, though). Their customer bases are far more tech knowledgable and much more picky. You'll get better reviews through those three sites.

I went to newegg and got this much info:

"There are no reviews yet... do you own this product? Write a Review"

Which is why I also listed CNET and Amazon. You also have to remember that Newegg is a site for tech heads who build their own machines. I get the feeling you probably just found your machine on there, you want to search for components on Newegg (since that is their big business).

Lucifer

Lucifer Avatar

Mythical Studio Member

Eunuch

August 2005
Josh Avatar
Lucifer Avatar

I can understand Toshiba, maybe. But Asus? Never heard their name thrown out there when it comes to mid-to-high end machines.

...seriously?

Josh

Josh Avatar

Legendary Studio Member

May 2008
Lucifer Avatar
Josh Avatar

...seriously?

Asus is more low-to-mid range, isn't it?

Quinine

Quinine Avatar
[5]

Senior Studio Member

May 2007
Reviews are better than opinions for this kind of thing, Xuzi.

Last Edit: Oct 29, 2010 5:37:04 GMT by Quinine

newBookmarkLockedFalling