Please login or register. Welcome to the Studio, guest!

Quick Links:

newBookmarkLockedFalling

Lucifer

Lucifer Avatar

Mythical Studio Member

Eunuch

August 2005
Are they really worth it? My new laptop is coming with a blu-ray player in it and I was wondering if blu-ray movies are really worth the extra investment, or should I just stick to regular DVDs?

Scorpian

Scorpian Avatar

[ Bracket Admin ]

April 2006
There isn't a single piece of software for playing blu-ray discs that doesn't absolutely suck. That alone is a really big turn-off. Every program I've used really pissed me off. Oh, and most of it is pretty expensive (~$70/80).

If you can get past that, the quality is pretty good. I have yet to see any other legal means of obtaining video that surpasses blu-ray quality. The quality you'll get is dependent on the size of your screen though. Unless you have a 1080p monitor, it's not gonna be too much better.
wat

Lucifer

Lucifer Avatar

Mythical Studio Member

Eunuch

August 2005
Scorpian Avatar
There isn't a single piece of software for playing blu-ray discs that doesn't absolutely suck. That alone is a really big turn-off. Every program I've used really pissed me off. Oh, and most of it is pretty expensive (~$70/80).

If you can get past that, the quality is pretty good. I have yet to see any other legal means of obtaining video that surpasses blu-ray quality. The quality you'll get is dependent on the size of your screen though. Unless you have a 1080p monitor, it's not gonna be too much better.

It is a 1080p monitor. I just don't know if it's worth it since I'd never be able to watch them on anything but my laptop. But if they really are that much better, maybe some movies might be worth it? Like Avatar or something.

Chris

Chris Avatar

Head Coder

June 2005
Maybe some. Have you watched any movie on your computer yet? If you're completely satisfied with the quality, I can't see any reason to buy a blu-ray for more money when you're already content.

Josh

Josh Avatar
Where were you when Reach fell?

Legendary Studio Member

May 2008
Will you be using your laptop to watch movies? If so, then it's worth it. Especially on a 1080p monitor... that usually means you can output 1080p as well so you'd have yourself a portable blu ray player than you can connect to pretty much any tv.

For the software issue, try XBMC or any of its forks. They should play them and they generally play everything very well.

newBookmarkLockedFalling