Please login or register. Welcome to the Studio, guest!

Quick Links:

newBookmarkLockedFalling

Joe Kerr

Joe Kerr Avatar
Why So Serious?

June 2010
Building Your Proboard, a Basic Guide to Getting Your Forum Started

Need somewhere to host files?[/url]

Scorpian

Scorpian Avatar

[ Bracket Admin ]

April 2006
Not really surprising, tbh. The bottom line is that bandwidth is expensive. For a file host, a really high cap or unmetered bandwidth is the only viable option, which can easily double or even triple the cost of most dedicated servers. There's a reason that most file hosts heavily restrict free users and charge a lot for premium. It's not only the only way to be profitable, it's one of the few ways to at least break even. Gotta hand it to Wrighty for being able to keep it up this long though.
wat

Simie

Simie Avatar

ProScripter

May 2006
Act surprised. Everyone should have known this would happen since it closed last time.

Chris

Chris Avatar

Head Coder

June 2005
For reasons said above, I'm not all that surprised. I was more surprised it was reopened. I'll try to backup all files on SZ, but I think I have most of them already.

Nocando

Nocando Avatar
clearnonsense.com

Official Member

September 2009
What did this Michael guy expect to begin with? I mean, starting an image hosting company relies on one thing and one thing only, and that is bandwidth. Otherwise we'd have millions of these img hosting companies. Looks like someone didn't have a plan : / So I'm not surprised either
Recent Articles:

12.08.10 - Top 25 Albums of 2010

12.08.10 - Suicide in Ukraine Caught on Tape MUST SEE!!

Josh

Josh Avatar
Where were you when Reach fell?

Legendary Studio Member

May 2008
Nocando Avatar
What did this Michael guy expect to begin with? I mean, starting an image hosting company relies on one thing and one thing only, and that is bandwidth. Otherwise we'd have millions of these img hosting companies. Looks like someone didn't have a plan : / So I'm not surprised either

Wrighty started it as a personal project to advance his coding skills. It grew uncontrollably and is now getting 10 freaking millions hits a month. It happens. He didn't expect a personal project to grow like this did, I am sure.

Simie

Simie Avatar

ProScripter

May 2006
Josh Avatar
Nocando Avatar

Wrighty started it as a personal project to advance his coding skills. It grew uncontrollably and is now getting 10 freaking millions hits a month. It happens. He didn't expect a personal project to grow like this did, I am sure.

He should have expected it after it happened the first time.

richardgary1223
I'll lose all my uploads again <.< Good thing I've bookmarked them....

JD

JD Avatar

June 2008
xmsteel Avatar
Simie Avatar
Act surprised. Everyone should have known this would happen since it closed last time.

This.

Looks like someone didn't have a plan : / So I'm not surprised either

So you're suggesting he shouldn't have provided this free and convenient service?

Michael put a lot of effort into the development and updating of wImg, it's API and -dare I say it- groundwork to upgrade massively. He's offering a file download, it was a free service, be thankful instead of criticizing his ability to create a widely used free host.

Like Josh said, this was a personal project that he let other people into, and allowed them essentially to test for him. I don't get the problem with him ending the service. Hits is a variable he couldn't have predicted, and he shouldn't have to fork out for your benefit.

Joe Kerr

Joe Kerr Avatar
Why So Serious?

June 2010
I have already heard about a few people thinking about offering him for it...I wonder if someone will buy it...

Andrew McGivery

Andrew McGivery Avatar
Formerly Fredy

Legendary Studio Member

Male

September 2005
I wonder if he were to get an couple investors if there would be any way to make it profitable.
k

Michael

Michael Avatar
*Has a custom title*

October 2007
To clarify:

The problem isn't the bandwidth, yes, it uses over 1.5TB of bandwidth a month, and has received over 11 million hits this month.

The problem is that I actually don't have money to pay for the hosting - so the solution is to withdraw the service. The site can make money quite easily, I haven't had the time to sit down and code a fully integrated forum system, that would increase page hits considerably, and thus create a much larger income, that would cover server costs.

Ultimately, it was a personal project, and I couldn't expect it to escalate this high. At no point in the past did it hit this peak - at most we peaked at half of what it is now in terms of bandwidth & hits.

As I've mentioned on the site, all files will be available for download, and won't be lost. The only thing is that you won't be able to remotely link to them like you can at the moment. Ultimately, with no problems.

Furthermore, yes, there have been people speculating about buying it - however, none of those people have approached me yet, and without them approaching me, there is no point in taking what they say seriously. However, if someone were to approach me, their offer would be strongly considered.

- It can be made profitable, the last thing I want to do is close it, as ultimately it is the project that I have enjoyed doing the most, and quite a huge project at that, with it breaking into the mobile area too.

Just thought I'd pop in and clear some things up.

Joe Kerr

Joe Kerr Avatar
Why So Serious?

June 2010
Michael i would suggest you at least name a starting price....

the reason is if i might think about buying it but i really don't have much cash and i really don't know what you want i just might not offer...

Scorpian

Scorpian Avatar

[ Bracket Admin ]

April 2006
I'll give ya tree-fitty for it.
wat

Andrew McGivery

Andrew McGivery Avatar
Formerly Fredy

Legendary Studio Member

Male

September 2005
Joe Kerr Avatar
Michael i would suggest you at least name a starting price....

the reason is if i might think about buying it but i really don't have much cash and i really don't know what you want i just might not offer...

Unless you secretly have a huge savings account, keep dreaming about buying it.
k

newBookmarkLockedFalling