Please login or register. Welcome to the Studio, guest!

Quick Links:

newBookmarkLockedFalling

Twerque

Twerque Avatar
make my way back home when i learn to fly.

Studio Member

December 2009
So, long story short I have a failed root canal that needed to come out. So I went to see the oral surgeon, who took X-rays, and then informed me that all of my wisdom teeth are completely sideways and impacted. Sooo, he told me I should get the root canal tooth completely taken out as well as my wisdom teeth. So, yeah. x___x I'm terrified of dentists. They used to have to drug me when I was kid to get me in (I have reasons- my mother was not a nice lady D8< blahblah). So they gave me valium in the hopes that I won't flip shit and kill people.

Anybody else have theirs out? How bad was it? Mine is pretty "promising" x__x The root canal is falling apart and very brittle (half of my tooth fell off already) so they're fairly certain they're going to have to dig around to get it all out. And my sideways teeth sound aweeesome to deal with.

Last Edit: Nov 8, 2010 22:51:39 GMT by Twerque
Signature coming~

Scorpian

Scorpian Avatar

[ Bracket Admin ]

April 2006
All I remember from when I had mine taken out was being given the gas. Next thing I knew, it was all over. I somehow wound up at home. They gave me Oxycontin, so I never felt any pain. I did sleep away the next few days though.

Anyway, there is bleeding, but it doesn't hurt. It's just annoying having to change the gauze every few hours. Also, the limited diet kinda sucks... but, in the end, as long as you take the medication they give you, it's painless. Annoying, yes, but at least it doesn't hurt.

Last Edit: Nov 8, 2010 23:48:49 GMT by Scorpian
wat

Scorpian

Scorpian Avatar

[ Bracket Admin ]

April 2006
It was something that started with "oxyco." I know that for sure. I just assumed it was Oxycontin. There's no telling what it actually was. I never did see the bottle when I was finally capable of coherent thought.
wat

Nocando

Nocando Avatar
clearnonsense.com

Official Member

September 2009
xmsteel Avatar
@scorp: Are you sure it wasn't oxycodone? I had something a lot more serious than that and only got oxycodone.

it really depends on who writes the perscription. Ive seen people get only vicodin after breaking multiple bones after a car accident, while two of my friends got perscribed oxycontin 80's for just shoulder and back pain.
Recent Articles:

12.08.10 - Top 25 Albums of 2010

12.08.10 - Suicide in Ukraine Caught on Tape MUST SEE!!

Xylish

Xylish Avatar

Ghost Admin

June 2005
Resident dentist here =P

: Sounds like your O/S is doing a good job there. I can understand your anxiety in going to dentists. I've pulled a few tooth out in my hospital department and have seen many people been what you have gone through. The very anxious we give diazepam (Valium) or midazolam to calm them down before giving some anesthetics.

I'll be having mine out next year or so. It's not that bad having your teeth taken out. It may be sore and hard to eat for a first couple of days but pre-loading on paracetamol or ibuprofen works well, and don't forget those saline washes 4x a day.

@ Scorp: Did they put you to gas in the dental office in hospital? The location makes a difference to the type of sedation that they give you.

@xuzi: highly doubt that it is oxycodone, it has very limited use here in New Zealand (and US) as it is VERY addictive. More for medical use after major surgery rather than dental for severe pain relief.

Last Edit: Nov 10, 2010 10:43:48 GMT by Xylish
Ex-admin, designer and founder of Studio Zero. Currently working as a Dentist :)

Josh

Josh Avatar
Where were you when Reach fell?

Legendary Studio Member

May 2008
I had mine out two years ago. Refused to do it without being knocked out (I really dislike pain). In the end, I was out for 3 and a half hours. They had to cut my four wisdom teeth into 5 pieces to get to the roots. Apparently my teeth are way stronger than they should be thanks to the amount of milk I drink. Yay. Anyway, I refused to take any possibly addictive pain meds so I was out of commission for almost a week and still in pain for two-three weeks after that.

perishingflames

perishingflames Avatar

Dedicated Member

March 2007
'Cause you would know more than the dentist, right?

Quinine

Quinine Avatar
[5]

Senior Studio Member

May 2007
xmsteel Avatar
Xylish Avatar

@xuzi: highly doubt that it is oxycodone, it has very limited use here in New Zealand (and US) as it is VERY addictive. More for medical use after major surgery rather than dental for severe pain relief.

Really? oxycontin is what is stolen, abused, and very addictive. Oxycodone is a step below it.

You fail. Oxycodone and OxyContin are exactly the same thing. OxyContin is merely a pharmaceutical company's brand of it.

Feather

Feather Avatar
~

Official Member

November 2010

D: Good luck, Torque.

I've gotten 18 teeth pulled out total (8 at once, all the others either in pairs or in 4s) in my lifetime, but none of them were wisdom teeth.
They gave me the gas over my nose and mouth - it smelled absolutely horrible, but I didn't remember anything until they shook me awake. I couldn't really balance on my feet and had a mouthful of bloody gauze. My gums were sore for a while and I couldn't eat hot stuff or crackers, but I don't remember it being that bad...? D:

Twerque

Twerque Avatar

Studio Member

December 2009
I had a panic attack- twice. x__x The Valium didn't work, dose wasn't high enough to keep me from having flashbacks. And when I was laying on the chair and started having a panic attack they gassed me, which only made the flashbacks worse. Then they put me under with the needle, so I was all good after that. I woke up, and was flipping shit again, and almost chocked on the gauze twice by swallowing it. But after I was more coherant I was fine Px The nurse actually asked if I had taken all of my "regular" meds, and my sister/gaurdian was like "She's on, uhm, on anything." You should have seen the nurse's face. Priiiiceless.

But, yeah. I'm actually doing real well P: I had five taken out- all the wisdom teeth, plus an abscessed tooth next to them. They gave me Vicodin, and I'm taking Ibuprofen on top of it, but it still hurts. And Vicodin makes me dizzy. Plus, I was throwing up all the blood I swallowed yesterday x] Whooo. It was awesome, dude. Aweeesome. I could have gone to school today if they let me take vicodin there D8< Which they don't. So I might not go monday, either, if I still am in pain enough to be taking vicodin.

/Talkstoomuch.

Signature coming~

Twerque

Twerque Avatar

Studio Member

December 2009
Obviously I brush them, idiot. I have very thin enamel because I have a strange bite and my insurance up 'till now wouldn't cover braces to fix it because nobody knew why I had thin enamel. My dentist, last visit, came to the conclusion that by clenching and grinding (severe anxiety) so much, I was wearing my enamel down and wouldn't have any by the time I was thirty if I didn't get braces to correct my bite. That one tooth had been giving me a bunch of issues, and was also a failed root canal, so it had to go.

Also, anything I said about pain up to this point, disregard. I can't even close my mouth or swallow x__x omg. I feel like a druggie- the first thing I said to my sister when she walked into my room was "vicodin."

Signature coming~

Kay

Kay Avatar
if I'm not here, I'm probably working.

Ghost Admin

August 2005
hahahahaha, torque I know the feeling. I've never had a root canal, so I can't really relate there. However, my top two wisdom teeth came out in two separate trips to the dentist. They had to break and pull them out. So that was some fun shit there with vicodin. And then my bottom two came in sideways and impacted as well (i actually have the picture here) and on a third trip to a place two hours away, I had to have them surgically removed/cut out. I have anxiety about pain in my mouth, and I cannot STAND the sound of the breaking/drilling/scraping. It freaks me out and sends me into a strange panic. So when they gassed me and I wasn't able to move, all of that noise and pain really got me worked up. I was in tears before they even really got started. Though mine's just 'cause I don't do well with pain in my mouth, or anyone doing work on my teeth.

The pain was hell for me because vicodin/hydrocodones make me sick no matter if I eat or don't eat with them. I was out of work for a week, and still was taking four ibuprofen at a time for two or three weeks after that. Since I had them out (about a year and a half ago) I've had a tooth that broke in half caused by a hole in it that was never there before they drilled and broke away the wisdom tooth that had been next to it, so that is something I still need to get fixed. Along with the fact that I have a slight, very slight gap between my bottom two front teeth now that those teeth aren't being pushed together by the wisdom ones. It's all a little weird. And if you're anything like me, you might have headaches/migraines for a while after ward, so definitely keep the pain meds around.

Twerque

Twerque Avatar

Studio Member

December 2009
I have severe anxiety and am highly post traumatic-ie when it comes to doctor's office [see Munchausens By Proxy, my mother had it] so it was awful x__x the Doctor thought I was a nutjob, and the nurse asked if I'd "taken my regular medication" :P And all four came out at the same time. Both bottom ones were sideways and impacted, and the top were impacted. Also, they were in weird places so they had to cut into my mouth at weird angles and yeah P: Also, the one on the left throbs and I have this weird, metallic taste in my mouth. So I think something is wrong with it O.o It's also wide open and doesn't appear to be healing. And I still can't eat. x_x
Signature coming~

Kay

Kay Avatar
if I'm not here, I'm probably working.

Ghost Admin

August 2005
the weird metallic taste is actually pretty normal and will last for a few weeks, sadly.

Twerque

Twerque Avatar

Studio Member

December 2009
Are you serious? They didn't tell me that -.- . They didn't tell me anything. And that video didn't say anything but "DRY SOCKET IS BAD YOU DON'T WANT IT LOLOLOL" basically. Awesome.
Signature coming~

newBookmarkLockedFalling