Please login or register. Welcome to the Studio, guest!

Quick Links:

newBookmarkLockedFalling

Stinky666

Stinky666 Avatar

December 2009
Hey all,

this isn't a laptop problem of mine, it's my brothers.
I'll obviously explain what it's doing (or rather, not doing) and then what i have done etc.

Basically, he had a worm which as soon as you logged in, you couldn't do anything because it would popup and then restart the laptop, instantly showing the "blue screen". I went into safe mode and managed to get to system restore, did it, it was gone and everything was fine.

I then installed a new windows update: Service Pack 2. I restarted the laptop and since then, when it gets to the loading bar that says "© Microsoft Corporation" below, it just stays at that point but constantly loads (the animation for the loading bar continues, it doesn't freeze up). So, it doesn't even get to the login screen.

I have restarted many times and tried Safe Mode, Safe Mode with Command Prompt, Last Known Good Config. (advanced). I have even tried all other options that I have no clue how to use. Since all the ones I know require you to get past the loading screen to start "working", it's annoying.

I haven't tried the "F10" or "F2" options, because they are confusing as hell and I have no idea what i am doing with those.

I'm unsure if the problem is due to the update, or if it's still the worm, but I am sure it's not the worm. I could obviously be wrong.

He doesn't have a Windows Disc (Vista) so I can't even just re-install.
No clue why he didn't get the disc, perhaps because Vista was pre-installed?
It's a genuine copy because the laptop was bought brand new.

If anyone can help, please do so. All efforts are GREATLY appreciated.

Andrew McGivery

Andrew McGivery Avatar
Formerly Fredy

Legendary Studio Member

Male

September 2005
if it came with windows on it, chances are it has a partition on the harddrive that has the OS installation files on it, meaning you can reinstall without a disk. They do that with most computers these days.

k

Stinky666

Stinky666 Avatar

December 2009
How does one re-install without the disc though?
Remember I can't even logon in, it doesn't get past the loading bit :(

Stinky666

Stinky666 Avatar

December 2009
xmsteel Avatar
Stinky666 Avatar
How does one re-install without the disc though?
Remember I can't even logon in, it doesn't get past the loading bit :(

Is there a way you can contact microsoft to get a disk, if you prove authenticity?

Weirdly, I hadn't even thought of that.
How do you think I would/could prove it though?

Josh

Josh Avatar
Where were you when Reach fell?

Legendary Studio Member

May 2008
You boot into the BIOS settings (which should be one of the function keys right as you turn the machine on) and change your boot drive to the partition (usually D:\ or E:\ on most installs). That'll boot directly into that drive and should run the setup. You'll have to change it back after running it, though.

Eric

Eric Avatar

November 2005
Call the manufacturer. They'll give you precise instructions specific to your laptop.

Stinky666

Stinky666 Avatar

December 2009
Josh Avatar
You boot into the BIOS settings (which should be one of the function keys right as you turn the machine on) and change your boot drive to the partition (usually D:\ or E:\ on most installs). That'll boot directly into that drive and should run the setup. You'll have to change it back after running it, though.

Thanks.
What I'm going to do first, is try this:
neosmart.net/blog/2008/windows-vista-recovery-disc-download/

I've burnt it ready, so now it's a case of being bothered to do it for my brother.

Stinky666

Stinky666 Avatar

December 2009
Josh Avatar

Ok so the recovery thing I tried from the link I found didn't work, so I tried this.
When I go into the F2 (BIOS), it obviously displays several tabs, I can't find anything for this :(

Don't suppose you know exactly where it is?

Josh

Josh Avatar
Where were you when Reach fell?

Legendary Studio Member

May 2008
No idea, honestly. Every motherboard has a different BIOS, so I really have nothing to compare it to. There should be a section that gives you the option to boot from the DVD/CD drive, the floppy drive (most BIOS have that still for whatever reason), or one of your hard drives. That's all I can think of.

Andrew McGivery

Andrew McGivery Avatar
Formerly Fredy

Legendary Studio Member

Male

September 2005
When you boot up there should actually be an option on screen to do something about recovery or something along those lines.
k

Stinky666

Stinky666 Avatar

December 2009
Does anyone know who it's best for me to contact, either eMachine, or MS?
Obviously eMachine because that's the make of the laptop.

Stinky666

Stinky666 Avatar

December 2009
He's had the laptop for over a year though (close to a year and a half) and the laptop has been fine up until he got this stupid worm and we I did that update. So eMachine isn't a problem :P
I contacted eMachine though. Just waiting for a proper response now because I had to supply a SNID for the laptop, but gave the wrong numbers/characters haha. Sent the correct ones now, so lets see what they can do.

I think they are going to suggest buying a windows disc though. I hope they at least try give some other solutions first. Will keep you all updated.

Stinky666

Stinky666 Avatar

December 2009
Just to let you all know (everyone that helped/replied), this problem is now fixed.
I emailed the emachines support team (originally I emailed the US ones, they redirected me to the UK - I felt so retarded haha).

They replied with simply saying press F11 on start up, or if that fails, use ALT+F10, then it will take me to the Full System Recovery screen. Which it finally did. Woot.
And all is now working, even though everything was erased etc. But neither me or my brother give a crap about that.
He's just glad he didn't have to pay to get it fixed, or worse, buy a new laptop.

Last Edit: Nov 19, 2010 16:58:38 GMT by Stinky666

Chris

Chris Avatar

Head Coder

June 2005
xmsteel Avatar

That is the problem.

Loving your bias for anything that isn't the brand you use. :P

newBookmarkLockedFalling