Please login or register. Welcome to the Studio, guest!

Quick Links:

newBookmarkLockedFalling

Twerque

Twerque Avatar
make my way back home when i learn to fly.

Studio Member

December 2009
Not a rant about my school for once .... ;] Aren't you guys proud?

Anywho. We had two days of block scheduling to kind of test the waters with it. We did it alst year, too, but that was useless because we had one day of it then months later had the other day. Wednesday and Thursday were two days of it in a row. Personally, I don't really care for it- I can't pay attention to one thing for that long /ADD. But all classes get over in a half-year that way, which makes me extremely happy ... There are pros and cons to it, but I don't really want to see it implemented in my last year of schooling.

So, did you guys have block scheduling? Did you like it? What are your experiences with it?

Last Edit: Dec 10, 2010 14:42:15 GMT by Twerque
Signature coming~

Quinine

Quinine Avatar
[5]

Senior Studio Member

May 2007
"A study by the College Board found that students taking Advanced Placement (AP) courses on a 4 x 4 block schedule score lower than do students taking the same AP course on a traditional full-year schedule. Some schools have compensated for this by making AP courses last for the entire school year..." - Wikipedia

How block-y was your block scheduling? How many periods, and how long did they go for?

Twerque

Twerque Avatar
make my way back home when i learn to fly.

Studio Member

December 2009
Yikes. I want to take five APs [six class spaces, as AP Physics is a double period] next year, so that does not bode well for me :|

It would be one and a half hour blocks of classes, I'm pretty sure. One of those days was a half-day, so the schedule was all fucked, and I can't really remember what we did the day before. I think it was one and a half block classes, every other day switching out. Four classes a day.

Last Edit: Dec 14, 2010 2:53:36 GMT by Twerque
Signature coming~

Quinine

Quinine Avatar
[5]

Senior Studio Member

May 2007
Eeeeeh. I know I wouldn't be able to stand that.

Feather

Feather Avatar
~

Official Member

November 2010
Gosh, 90 minutes?
That's long.

I've got block scheduling going on in my high school - each bloc 67 minutes, 5 out of 7 blocks a day.
I actually like it because not all homework is due the next day and it gives some flexibility with planning and time management.

Josh

Josh Avatar
Where were you when Reach fell?

Legendary Studio Member

May 2008
Feather Avatar
Gosh, 90 minutes?
That's long.

I've got block scheduling going on in my high school - each bloc 67 minutes, 5 out of 7 blocks a day.
I actually like it because not all homework is due the next day and it gives some flexibility with planning and time management.

90 minutes is long? I currently have a single class from 5PM to 11PM. :P

Lucifer

Lucifer Avatar

Mythical Studio Member

Eunuch

August 2005
Josh Avatar
Feather Avatar
Gosh, 90 minutes?
That's long.

Mine starts at 4 (until about 11)

Sometimes 3:30.

Fuck you, Josh. :)

Josh

Josh Avatar
Where were you when Reach fell?

Legendary Studio Member

May 2008
Lucifer Avatar
Josh Avatar

We've been over this before and I believe each time I've told you I have no sympathy for you. :P

Lucifer

Lucifer Avatar

Mythical Studio Member

Eunuch

August 2005
Josh Avatar
Lucifer Avatar

We've been over this before and I believe each time I've told you I have no sympathy for you. :P

BUT YOU SHOULD.

urbancinderella

urbancinderella Avatar
Everyone makes mistakes. The trick is to make mistakes when nobody is looking.

Official Member

August 2005
As a teacher, I would hate block scheduling. Our schedule is 8 periods, 45 minutes long. It's very hard to get students settled and productive, which leaves us about 35 minutes of pure work-time. It can be rough and feels like a lot of wasted time, but I can't imagine trying to keep students focused for a two-hour block.

Chris

Chris Avatar

Head Coder

June 2005
urbancinderella Avatar
As a teacher, I would hate block scheduling. Our schedule is 8 periods, 45 minutes long. It's very hard to get students settled and productive, which leaves us about 35 minutes of pure work-time. It can be rough and feels like a lot of wasted time, but I can't imagine trying to keep students focused for a two-hour block.

Exactly what my high school was like unfortunately... 8 45 minute periods, 40 minute lunch period, and the "6.a" period (6.b was lunch) that was 25 minutes 5 days a week. Really screwed up. However, we're known for producing smart students, so it's a weird thing. :P

urbancinderella

urbancinderella Avatar
Everyone makes mistakes. The trick is to make mistakes when nobody is looking.

Official Member

August 2005
Chris Avatar
urbancinderella Avatar

Exactly what my high school was like unfortunately... 8 45 minute periods, 40 minute lunch period, and the "6.a" period (6.b was lunch) that was 25 minutes 5 days a week. Really screwed up. However, we're known for producing smart students, so it's a weird thing. :P

I mean, the short periods can work so long as you have systems that make the time effective; in my school, we were all seated and ready by the time the bell rang. In the school I teach in now, it's lucky if you're ready to start about 5 minutes in. Just gotta be careful about lost time.

Chris

Chris Avatar

Head Coder

June 2005
urbancinderella Avatar
Chris Avatar

I mean, the short periods can work so long as you have systems that make the time effective; in my school, we were all seated and ready by the time the bell rang. In the school I teach in now, it's lucky if you're ready to start about 5 minutes in. Just gotta be careful about lost time.

My school was by far more strict since it was a private school, but the mini-period was worthless pretty much... at least for academic decathlon. I think the band class probably made great use of the time.

Feather

Feather Avatar
~

Official Member

November 2010
Josh Avatar
Feather Avatar
Gosh, 90 minutes?
That's long.

Nevermind then. :)
Guess I'll see a lot more when I get outta high school xD
Is this class a college class, or post-grad, or...?

Chris

Chris Avatar

Head Coder

June 2005
Feather Avatar
Josh Avatar

Nevermind then. :)
Guess I'll see a lot more when I get outta high school xD
Is this class a college class, or post-grad, or...?

Assuming it's a college class for him. :P My longest class to date was a 3 hour lab. I have one or two of those again next semester. Most of my classes are an hour or 1.5 hours though.

newBookmarkLockedFalling