Please login or register. Welcome to the Studio, guest!

Quick Links:

newBookmarkLockedFalling

Josh

Josh Avatar
Where were you when Reach fell?

Legendary Studio Member

May 2008
All right, so this thread is being made just because I am proud of the computer I have put together over the last two months. :P I feel like bragging, yay me. Anyway, post your specs too so I'm not a complete loner here.

Intel Core i5 Quadcore processor clocking in at 2.8GHz
12 GB (2x4GB, 2x2GB) DDR3 1333 PC3 10666 RAM
2TB Western Digital Caviar Green internal hdd
1TB Western Digital MyBook external hdd
NVIDIA GeForce 9500GT GPU (from EVGA)
Sony DVD/CD burner/reader
Lite-On Blu-Ray/DVD/CD reader
Microsoft Wireless Keyboard 3000
Logitech MX Revolution (greatest mouse ever made)
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit

Yay. :D

Scorpian

Scorpian Avatar

[ Bracket Admin ]

April 2006
CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 965 @ variable speed (I forget the max, but it's like 3.4 or something)
Mobo: ASUS M4A89GTD AM3 board with SATA6.0GB/s and USB3 support
RAM: 4GB (2x2GB) or high-quality Corsair gaming RAM
GFX: Diamond AMD Radeon HD 4890, lightly overclocked
Storage 1: 64GB Crucial SATA6.0GB/s RealSSD
Storage 2: 1TB (3x500GB WD Caviar Blue) RAID5
Storage 3: 1TB WD Caviar Black
Optical Drive: LG Blu-Ray reader/DVD rewriter
Input: Logitech Wireless Wave Combo MK550
Sound: Logitech X-540 5.1 speakers
Headset: Logitech ClearChat USB headset

The last big upgrade I made for this build was the SSD and RAID. Next in line is the GFX card. I'll wait for the 6990 to come out and drop in price before getting it though. I'm considering upgrading the RAM after that, but I really don't see the point. I never max out the 4GB I have right now anyway. I'll probably go for a liquid cooling system and overclock the hell out of what I already have instead.

Last Edit: Jan 1, 2011 1:10:41 GMT by Scorpian
wat

Josh

Josh Avatar

Legendary Studio Member

May 2008
xmsteel Avatar
Josh Avatar
All right, so this thread is being made just because I am proud of the computer I have put together over the last two months. :P I feel like bragging, yay me. Anyway, post your specs too so I'm not a complete loner here.

You do realize, 12GB of ram is a total waste of money, correct? 8GB is plenty that you would never use...

Anyhow, here is my 5-6 YEAR OLD computer. And its still better than some of the lower end stuff today.

Processor: Intel Pentium 4 @ 3.00GHz (2 CPUs)
RAM: 1536MB (1.5GB)
Video Card: ATI Radeon HD 2400 Series AGP
Operating System: Windows XP Home
Speakers/Headphones: Sennheiser 428 HD

Hahaha. Yeah, 12GB was not a waste of money. I already had four and it wasn't cutting it. 8GB more was on sale for $70 last week so I bought it. When you're dealing with Photoshop files that are getting close to 1GB in size, you need the RAM. My final project for a class this semester was too large for the brand new iMac (27" i7 with 8GB RAM) at school to handle. $70 is definitely worth not having to merge layers.

Scorpian

Scorpian Avatar

[ Bracket Admin ]

April 2006
xmsteel Avatar
: I don't even want to know how you got 1GB photoshop file.

Photoshop files can get very large when there's a lot of content in it (surprise, surprise). Imagine a complex web design with every single page in the same file. 1GB seems pretty feasible in that case.

On top of that, Adobe is a terrible software developer. Even with a million gigabytes of RAM on a board with eighty 32-core processors, PhotoShop will still be a little laggy in some cases. If your goal is to run Adobe software, investing the extra buck in more RAM, even if you think you have too much already, WILL be worth it.
wat

Josh

Josh Avatar

Legendary Studio Member

May 2008
xmsteel Avatar

A 10x12, 400dpi resolution image with more than a thousand layers (there were more, I had to give up and merge some) all from duplicating little images of wheat to create hair in a veggie face. That's the fourth time I have come close to a 1GB PSD now.

Feather

Feather Avatar
~

Official Member

November 2010
That's a LOT of layers.
I'm definitely not a very knowledgeable ps user or anything (only a high school class + messing around on my own), but when I get up to around 100 I start merging in order to keep track of them. :)

Josh

Josh Avatar

Legendary Studio Member

May 2008
Feather Avatar
That's a LOT of layers.
I'm definitely not a very knowledgeable ps user or anything (only a high school class + messing around on my own), but when I get up to around 100 I start merging in order to keep track of them. :)

1000 really isn't that much if you organize them from the very get-go.

Andrew McGivery

Andrew McGivery Avatar
Formerly Fredy

Legendary Studio Member

Male

September 2005
xmsteel Avatar

Real web design.
k

Josh

Josh Avatar

Legendary Studio Member

May 2008
Andrew McGivery Avatar
xmsteel Avatar

Real web design.

I've never sailed north of 500 with web design. :P Actual artwork, though? Yeah, 1000 is pretty easy to reach for me. :P

Simie

Simie Avatar

ProScripter

May 2006
Laptop:

17" HD Display (1920x1200)
2.5GHz Core 2 Duo
NVidia Geforce 8600M GT
4GB DDR2 RAM
Mac OS X etc

Desktop:

27" Display (2560x1440)
4GB DDR3 RAM
ATI Radeon 4850 (I think) 512MB
2.8GHz Core i7

I think

Scorpian

Scorpian Avatar

[ Bracket Admin ]

April 2006
xmsteel Avatar
Josh Avatar

I've never sailed north of 500 with web design. :P Actual artwork, though? Yeah, 1000 is pretty easy to reach for me. :P

Insane. I'm making a title screen for my friend's newest game (He made THIS game). Its currently only pushing 300KB, and it has multiple layers.

Yeah, ummm... that's nowhere close. If you have fifty or so layers of relatively simple shapes with basic blending options, you're not going to have a very big PSD. If you have several hundred really-complex layers with complicated blending at an extremely high resolution, you're going to end up with a very large PSD. Imagine a folder containing several high-resolution images. Collectively, it's going to take up a lot of space. A PSD has to contain all of that AND data for alterations made to it.

It's crazy, but that's what happens. Being creative takes a big hit on your storage space.
wat

Lucifer

Lucifer Avatar

Mythical Studio Member

Eunuch

August 2005
Intel® Core™ i7-740QM processor
NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 460M
1.5GB GDDR5 discrete graphics memory
6GB DDR3 1066MHz memory
564GB: 64GB SSD (Serial ATA) + 500GB (7200rpm, Serial ATA)
Blu-ray Disc™ ROM and DVD SuperMulti drive with Labelflash®
18.4" widescreen
16:9 aspect ratio, 1920x1080, Supports 1080p content

Pretty beastly considering it's a laptop.

Jim

Jim Avatar
Josh was here.

Studio Member

September 2005
xmsteel Avatar
Josh Avatar

You do realize, 12GB of ram is a total waste of money, correct? 8GB is plenty that you would never use...

Anyhow, here is my 5-6 YEAR OLD computer. And its still better than some of the lower end stuff today.

The Pentium 4 isn't 2 CPUs. It utilizes hyper threading which can help speed things up a little sometimes, but not all the time.

Also, I have 4GB RAM which I max out with virtual machines (OS X, XP, Fedora are the three I have now, thinking about getting some type of server as well). I'd love 12GB so I could dedicate RAM to the virtual machines.

Josh

Josh Avatar

Legendary Studio Member

May 2008
Jim Avatar
xmsteel Avatar

The Pentium 4 isn't 2 CPUs. It utilizes hyper threading which can help speed things up a little sometimes, but not all the time.

Also, I have 4GB RAM which I max out with virtual machines (OS X, XP, Fedora are the three I have now, thinking about getting some type of server as well). I'd love 12GB so I could dedicate RAM to the virtual machines.

I told you about the 8GB deal (both times, at that) so that you could upgrade, dude. :P

Jim

Jim Avatar
Josh was here.

Studio Member

September 2005
Josh Avatar
Jim Avatar

I told you about the 8GB deal (both times, at that) so that you could upgrade, dude. :P

I require DDR2.

newBookmarkLockedFalling