Please login or register. Welcome to the Studio, guest!

Quick Links:

newBookmarkLockedFalling

Stinky666

Stinky666 Avatar

December 2009
For some reason, whenever I walk up or down some steps (any kind, anywhere) I have to count them as I walk or run down/up them.
No clue why, I just do it.

In my old house that i lived in for 20 years, I used to do it. It had 13 steps leading upstairs. I know it had 13, so I have no clue why I always counted.
Even if I went up stairs then came straight back down, I counted them when I went up and then when i came back down.

The same applies for the flat I currently live in.
We have some outside steps (9) leading to our front (only) door, then as you come through the door there are 7 more. I just have to count.

Would something like this be classed as an OCD?
I don't think it would be because I'm not obsessive about it, I don't have to go back and recount if I miss a step or anything weird like that.

Some times I will skip a step or two, but can still keep track of how many steps I have gone down/up.

Am I the only one to do this? Surely I'm not.

Lucifer

Lucifer Avatar

Mythical Studio Member

Eunuch

August 2005
I used to, but I live on the 6th floor of my barracks and I just can't count that high.

PHYsics

PHYsics Avatar

Official Member

November 2010
I do it occasionally. :P

Latest artwork: Artist's Crescendo
My Devart

Eric

Eric Avatar

November 2005
Yes.

Josh

Josh Avatar
Where were you when Reach fell?

Legendary Studio Member

May 2008
xmsteel Avatar
Stinky666 Avatar
For some reason, whenever I walk up or down some steps (any kind, anywhere) I have to count them as I walk or run down/up them.
No clue why, I just do it.

I know exactly why. It's a condition called OCD. Everyone has it to a degree.

Wow. You did not read the entire first post, did you?

bastones

bastones Avatar

January 2011
Could be just a habit that you have stuck to; if you make an effort you can break the habit, though. Many people suffer from Obsessive Compulsive Disorder and it's somewhat unfair to characterise that as "weird" since it is a known condition and no matter how strange it is, people do have to "suffer" from it. Of course, even with OCDs you can "break" out of an OCD cycle as if someone has an OCD they're making it themselves - if they make enough effort and be calm about it, they can easily break their OCD that they've created. Though, that said, people that have OCD - there probably is an underlying reason in terms of why OCD is recognised that makes it possible to have an OCD in the first place. But this is how I see it, anyway.

I didn't register just to post on this topic by the way :P - may seem like it having only 1 post - but I thought I'd reply to this topic though. But generally, you probably just have a habit and I'm sure if you stopped doing it (and keep at that), you can easily stop the habit - I'm sure.

Andrew McGivery

Andrew McGivery Avatar
Formerly Fredy

Legendary Studio Member

Male

September 2005

k

abZebras

abZebras Avatar

ProNation

June 2008
Every staircase in my school has 23 steps per floor, except for one which has 30some.

No, you aren't :)

Last Edit: Jan 8, 2011 18:05:23 GMT by abZebras

Eric

Eric Avatar

November 2005
I think I just jizzed.

Last Edit: Jan 8, 2011 20:16:52 GMT by Eric

Josh

Josh Avatar
Where were you when Reach fell?

Legendary Studio Member

May 2008
I don't count, but I subconsciously avoid stepping on cracks. I also have this weird thing with locks where I have to check to make sure they are locked three times before leaving them. I also will freak if I get dirty and wash my hand habitually, often going to the bathroom only to wash my hands. I also won't leave my room without socks on (not really OCD, but I do get upset if I have to take them off ever). I also have this constant feeling I'm being followed, but that's more a phobia than something compulsive. :P

Lucifer

Lucifer Avatar

Mythical Studio Member

Eunuch

August 2005

Finally, an appropriate post by Fredy. +1, sir.

abZebras

abZebras Avatar

ProNation

June 2008
Josh Avatar
I don't count, but I subconsciously avoid stepping on cracks. I also have this weird thing with locks where I have to check to make sure they are locked three times before leaving them. I also will freak if I get dirty and wash my hand habitually, often going to the bathroom only to wash my hands. I also won't leave my room without socks on (not really OCD, but I do get upset if I have to take them off ever). I also have this constant feeling I'm being followed, but that's more a phobia than something compulsive. :P

100% me, excluding the socks.

Andrew McGivery

Andrew McGivery Avatar
Formerly Fredy

Legendary Studio Member

Male

September 2005
Lucifer Avatar

Finally, an appropriate post by Fredy. +1, sir.

:D Mark it on the calendar.
k

Feather

Feather Avatar
~

Official Member

November 2010
Josh Avatar

Seconded, on the cracks and hand-washing.

I can practically feel the germs on my hands when I've touched things many other people have touched. Especially metal. And worst of all, public metal doorknobs. I touch them and I want to run to a sink with soap.
At school I always try to catch the door before it closes after someone else has pulled it open with the metal.

But back on the original topic -- no, I don't count steps. If I ever do, it's on purpose. C:

Stinky666

Stinky666 Avatar

December 2009
Feather Avatar
But back on the original topic -- no, I don't count steps. If I ever do, it's on purpose. C:

Same for me. Mine is always on purpose.
I just can't not count.

newBookmarkLockedFalling