Please login or register. Welcome to the Studio, guest!

Quick Links:

newBookmarkLockedFalling

Quacker Jack

Quacker Jack Avatar

ProNation

December 2007
Well, to say the least, what happened?

As you are all probably aware, many of the biggest design forums around proboards are gone. We lost mAs a long time ago, and more recently Smangii's Slightly Insane, and iD's The Art Forums (okay, went dead, not "gone"). And it isn't just proboards. I've spent possibly the last 3 months looking for an actually decently designed design forum with members with decent talent. And frankly, I just hear more and more about design forums closing down due to inactivity / lack of time. It is sad to see all of the talent go die, but frankly, Studio Zero is one of the few design communities I still know of. And frankly, we've declined too. There is also Encide (look it up) where all the really good designers are in an invitation-only forum.

My question is to you all: What happened to the design communities go? I've been in foruming enough to know that typically when one genre dies because people don't have time to maintain their forums, typically somebody pops up with another forum of that genre that saves the day. But I'm not seeing that so much with the design community. Does this mean graphic design is declining as well? What do you guys make of this?

Eric

Eric Avatar

November 2005
Facebook + DA = no need for forums. The web is really moving away from forums, or at least sites that are just forums.

Josh

Josh Avatar
Where were you when Reach fell?

Legendary Studio Member

May 2008
PBS killed the Proboards design community, and a large number of its forums. They eliminated the need when they introduced their own request and support boards. With PBv5, they'll kill off any remaining need for them.

Around the web, they do exist. CGSociety, DesignersCouch, dA, Dribbl, etc. etc. that all cater to designers (niche groups in most cases), but are not simply forums. What I think you consider a design community is more a PB support forum than design site. SZ has never been a design community, it was always a PB support forum.

Also, the lack of SSD in your list was sad. :(

Quacker Jack

Quacker Jack Avatar

ProNation

December 2007
Josh Avatar
PBS killed the Proboards design community, and a large number of its forums. They eliminated the need when they introduced their own request and support boards. With PBv5, they'll kill off any remaining need for them.

Around the web, they do exist. CGSociety, DesignersCouch, dA, Dribbl, etc. etc. that all cater to designers (niche groups in most cases), but are not simply forums. What I think you consider a design community is more a PB support forum than design site. SZ has never been a design community, it was always a PB support forum.

A good chunk of those people though were indeed designers.

The sad thing about all but dA is that they are invite only sites. Doesn't help people get exposed like forums did.

Scorpian

Scorpian Avatar

[ Bracket Admin ]

April 2006
As far as I can tell, design forums weren't really anything more than a fad. There were several big-name design communities on ProBoards several years ago. SSD, Zenith/Zanmato, etc. Yet, all of them just kinda faded away. Why? Almost every designer worth mentioning on all of the larger sites had their own little design community. Just about every designer I know had his own ProBoards forum dedicated to design/development at some point in the last six/seven years. It was "in." That's all there is to it. They were all very popular and it was easy to run them. The reason they died is because people got bored of it. All the smaller sites started going away when the owners got tired of running their own communities. A lot of them ended up just becoming inactive or leaving ProBoards entirely. And since those people were the ones who made up the userbase of the larger sites, they too started to die.

Well, that's one way to look at it, I guess. Design communities are still very numerous outside of ProBoards. There just aren't really any more dedicated to ProBoards itself. I see a couple of them pop up every now and then, but they all seem to die out pretty quickly.
wat

Lucifer

Lucifer Avatar

Mythical Studio Member

Eunuch

August 2005
Josh Avatar

This. I noticed it a long time ago.

Josh

Josh Avatar

Legendary Studio Member

May 2008
Quacker Jack Avatar
Josh Avatar

A good chunk of those people though were indeed designers.

The sad thing about all but dA is that they are invite only sites. Doesn't help people get exposed like forums did.

Just because they were designers doesn't mean it was a design community. They were always Proboards support forums with graphics on the side.

And most of them aren't invite only; they're by application only. There are fewer and fewer places for newer designers to go to and I think that is intentionally done by the more respected designers so that fewer people enter the field.

Andrew McGivery

Andrew McGivery Avatar
Formerly Fredy

Legendary Studio Member

Male

September 2005
k

Josh

Josh Avatar

Legendary Studio Member

May 2008
Yeah, I got the F5 email yesterday too. I haven't posted there since I resigned as mod. lol

newBookmarkLockedFalling