Please login or register. Welcome to the Studio, guest!

Quick Links:

newBookmarkLockedFalling

Stinky666

Stinky666 Avatar

December 2009
I'm not sure if to stick this here, or in design. I'm hoping here is fine.

Basically, I have 65 clips (Halo for a montage) and want to stick them all together.
I want Video Editing Software that I can learn what i need to quickly.
What I will be wanting to do are stuff such as:

- Speed up/down specific time in each individual clip.
- Add music.

Not sure what else.. but yeah haha.

Any ideas? I was going to use Windows Movie Maker, but I can't figure out - if possible - to speed up/down or even cut seconds off.

Andrew McGivery

Andrew McGivery Avatar
Formerly Fredy

Legendary Studio Member

Male

September 2005
xmsteel Avatar
WMm sucks anyway. For some reason I thought you had a mac... I think sony makes a video program, if i remember correctly. What os do you run? Im pretty familiar with vista's movie maker.

... wtf is vista's movie maker?
k

Josh

Josh Avatar
Where were you when Reach fell?

Legendary Studio Member

May 2008
After Effects, in my opinion, is the best. I've used AE, something from Sony that I can't remember the name of, and Final Cut in the past and AfterEffects seemed to be the perfect blend of ease-of-use and power. It's fairly easy to learn (especially if you have experience in Flash and Photoshop), but also has the power to do professional video editing if you wanted to.

Stinky666

Stinky666 Avatar

December 2009
xmsteel Avatar
WMm sucks anyway. For some reason I thought you had a mac... I think sony makes a video program, if i remember correctly. What os do you run? Im pretty familiar with vista's movie maker.

I wish I had a Mac. It would be very nice haha.
Sadly though, I have to stick with Vista for now.

Josh Avatar
After Effects, in my opinion, is the best. I've used AE, something from Sony that I can't remember the name of, and Final Cut in the past and AfterEffects seemed to be the perfect blend of ease-of-use and power. It's fairly easy to learn (especially if you have experience in Flash and Photoshop), but also has the power to do professional video editing if you wanted to.

Can one "obtain" AE separately from PS etc.?
I do have experience with Photoshop, but haven't for a long time now, and not with the latest version(s). I have never had experience with Flash.
I just want to be able to do some "basic" stuff really, like the speeding up/down time, cutting clips and anything else that (if you've seen montages) is typical in one.

Josh

Josh Avatar

Legendary Studio Member

May 2008
Flash is not what you want for this. I mentioned Flash because the interface is almost identical to AE. You can purchase AE separately, but it is definitely not cheap.

Scorpian

Scorpian Avatar

[ Bracket Admin ]

April 2006
Windows Movie Maker is actually Windows Live Movie Maker. It's been part of the Live Essentials pack for a while now. As for usage, it's definitely not professional editing software, but it's great for splicing together different clips and minor alterations. The interface is also about as simple as you can get for video editing software.

If you need something more advanced, as Josh said, After Effects is probably your best bet. Also, the mystery Sony software you're referring to is likely Vegas. However, Sony is even worse at developing software than Adobe (which really says something), so it's probably not your best bet.
wat

Josh

Josh Avatar

Legendary Studio Member

May 2008
Vegas! Yes. That's the one. I kept thinking FruitLoops but I knew that was audio. Definitely Vegas, though.

Btw, remembering all the apps I have used in design, video editing, and audio editing makes me realize: I have used way too many programs.

Scorpian

Scorpian Avatar

[ Bracket Admin ]

April 2006
Josh Avatar
Btw, remembering all the apps I have used in design, video editing, and audio editing makes me realize: I have used way too many programs.

If you can manage to find a program that isn't shit on the first try, you're a witch. That's all there is to it.
wat

Josh

Josh Avatar

Legendary Studio Member

May 2008
Scorpian Avatar
Josh Avatar

If you can manage to find a program that isn't shit on the first try, you're a witch. That's all there is to it.

First 3D modeling program I ever used was Maya. 7 years later, I'm taking classes for it and it is so much better than what little I did in C4D and 3DSM.

Am I a witch? lol

Stinky666

Stinky666 Avatar

December 2009
Alright, I have After Effects CS3.
Josh, I hope you know that since you suggested it, you're going to be getting asked a lot of questions.
I don't want to be reading tutorials, or watching videos, since all I need is a few things.
Of course, I will be playing around first to see if I can do stuff myself, however, if not, I will ask. =D

Not sure if you'd prefer to just keep it in this topic or for me to PM you questions or.. ?

Josh

Josh Avatar

Legendary Studio Member

May 2008
I'm not an expert, dude. :P I've created two kinetic motion lyric videos in it and did some minor editing while we were learning it in class. With what you are doing, though, it shouldn't be difficult. You'll just want to add a video to the timeline and shorten the amount of frames it is displayed in. I can't remember how to add audio, though. I mean, I had to for the kinetic motion videos but I don't remember how. lol

Stinky666

Stinky666 Avatar

December 2009
It's alright, I wont be bugging you now. I have been informed that WMM does in fact cut clips, and can also speed up/slow down clips, too.
That's more or less all I needed. So hopefully I can do what I wanted with WMM.

Thanks though to those who helped/suggested etc.

newBookmarkLockedFalling